Looking for a new boat

Sorciaa

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1187 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

My expertise is primarily military vessels but I can at the very least suggest one civilian brand and that's Berdav Marine. I got a little tugboat I use from time to time and it's a pleasure sailing; a inexpensive boat for what you get.

Edit: although I just realized they don't have sail-boats. My bad.

I've seen alot of Bandits around, so I guess those are good? I 'dunno. I will say however, from what I've experienced in the Blake. The bigger ships like by Endeavor and so on are laggy as hell when they sail by.

Edited by Simo Vodopan

1 hour ago, Simo Vodopan said:

My expertise is primarily military vessels but I can at the very least suggest one civilian brand and that's Berdav Marine. I got a little tugboat I use from time to time and it's a pleasure sailing; a inexpensive boat for what you get.

Edit: although I just realized they don't have sail-boats. My bad.

I've seen alot of Bandits around, so I guess those are good? I 'dunno. I will say however, from what I've experienced in the Blake. The bigger ships like by Endeavor and so on are laggy as hell when they sail by.

I do see several bandits as well. I own a few Endeavors and I have not had an issue with them, but I have not really taken mine out much

and.. as you are more into the military ships.. can you recommend a good U Boat? the few that seem good I have seen are either oldish ( 2014-2015 ) or they are huge.

9 minutes ago, Sorciaa said:

I do see several bandits as well. I own a few Endeavors and I have not had an issue with them, but I have not really taken mine out much

and.. as you are more into the military ships.. can you recommend a good U Boat? the few that seem good I have seen are either oldish ( 2014-2015 ) or they are huge.

Astrel Tek has a Type VII on the way and at the moment they have a S-18 (American sub class from WWI, known as 'Sugar boats'), Type XXIII and a Type-A (Japanese 'midget' sub).

22 hours ago, Sorciaa said:

Hey all, not sure if this is the right place but..I am looking for a sail boat.. i would love to know which are your favorite boats/ boat builders.

I am shopping around at this point so any and all recommendations are welcome!

This is probably not what you're looking for but if you are new to sailing in SL, I suggest you skip over to Stillman and grab a copy of the jollyboat there. It's old and it's small but it handles like a dream and it acts a little bit like an RL sailboat, not like a motorboat with a sail that is just for show. It's free too so you've got nothng to loose.

1 hour ago, Simo Vodopan said:

Astrel Tek has a Type VII on the way and at the moment they have a S-18 (American sub class from WWI, known as 'Sugar boats'), Type XXIII and a Type-A (Japanese 'midget' sub).

19 minutes ago, ChinRey said:

This is probably not what you're looking for but if you are new to sailing in SL, I suggest you skip over to Stillman and grab a copy of the jollyboat there. It's old and it's small but it handles like a dream and it acts a little bit like an RL sailboat, not like a motorboat with a sail that is just for show. It's free too so you've got nothng to loose.

Sweet, thank you both. I will check both of them out

Tradewinds YC and Nantucket YC have nice selections of free sailing boats.

Tradewinds:

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Dex/188/39/23

Nantucket:

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Nantucket Yacht Club/36/17/23

Also worth looking at Lili's Shipyard on Marketplace.

For bought sailing boats then if speed and animations aren't important then Trudeau Yachts provide a high quality sailing experience.

Mesh Shop and Bandit at Dutch harbor are very popular amongst sailors and for good reason.  The Bandit 22 LTE and the Captain's launch are both solid reliable choices for sailing conditions at the moment. Since October though there is a region crossing bug that affects some of their older boats, and for that matter the MLCC Loonetta.  Until they fix the bug for reliable sailing you will want to swap out the avsit script with the one from Uggos's lab on them, it won't stop every crash but addresses the new problem and makes them much more reliable.

In the past I would have recommended the Loonetta as a great first boat, but because it is no mod, there is no way to fix the new problems server side from our end and we have to await Linden lab fixing it.

Edited by Aethelwine
  • Like 1

I have a Trudeau but I find it much harder to sail than B-wind powered boats such as Bandits. I really want to switch to a Bandit at some point soon.

Someone recommended the Sha Zero to me a while back and that one is my favourite of the boats I own. And it's only L$99.

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/OUTLET-70-OFF-SALE-SHA-Type-ZERO-sailboat/4144729

It rarely crashes and is very fast; really it's too fast for the sailing I have around my home; my neighbouring lake is 4 regions in length and the Sha can easily cover that in just a couple of minutes. I'm kind of trapped in my local lake too; while there's a river to access the ones further north, in the next region up, the Lindens have decided to have scripts turned off so as soon as you enter the region you're drifting, and have to use Edit to escape.

43 minutes ago, Lewis Luminos said:

I have a Trudeau but I find it much harder to sail than B-wind powered boats such as Bandits. I really want to switch to a Bandit at some point soon.

Someone recommended the Sha Zero to me a while back and that one is my favourite of the boats I own. And it's only L$99.

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/OUTLET-70-OFF-SALE-SHA-Type-ZERO-sailboat/4144729

It rarely crashes and is very fast; really it's too fast for the sailing I have around my home; my neighbouring lake is 4 regions in length and the Sha can easily cover that in just a couple of minutes. I'm kind of trapped in my local lake too; while there's a river to access the ones further north, in the next region up, the Lindens have decided to have scripts turned off so as soon as you enter the region you're drifting, and have to use Edit to escape.

I agree that whilst Trudeaus appear simple, they are difficult to master... that is in its way a bonus rather than a negative as the subtleties to them make them rewarding to learn.

The SHA is one of the few boats I have never tried, so can't comment to compare it with others.

But with regard to your experience with a no script parcel... unless something has changed very recently no script parcels shouldn't be affecting vehicles. I have run many cruises over the years through no script parcels, they haven't affected trimming the sails or steering. What they do effect is waypoint huds that won't cycle through to the next waypoint until you have crossed into the next region.

I think you might have had a bad crossing, seen it was a no script enabled parcel and come to the not unreasonable but inaccurate conclusion they are related. 

Edit: I just bought the SHA you linked to to try it out. I tried a parcel in Tompson with scripts disabled and I can trim, steer and even use the hud (i put spinnaker up as a test). The SHA is very fast. I suggest typing /1 8 after getting onboard to bring the wind down to 8 knots. I wasn't even trying to go fast and that boat on that setting was getting up to a fast 11 knots.

I started in Desire, by the way, so if you are where I think you are you aren't limited to the small lake you are in. With care you can also head up the river to the East through Pine and Cranberry.

A boat like Becky's Baby Sloop from one of the two Yacht club's I mentioned earlier might make for a less hurried and more relaxing sail around the river systems. 

Edited by Aethelwine
  • Thanks 1

For sailing it is worth having the minimap open all the time to show region borders (Ctrl+shift+m). You really want to only cross one region border at a time.... the minimap is useful for avoiding those corners.

On a third party viewer like firestorm you can r-click the minimap and show property lines. That is helpful to do for showing the protected waterways to sail between when sailing rivers... and with a little practice and pattern recognition you will get to identify linden rezz areas.

32 minutes ago, Aethelwine said:

For sailing it is worth having the minimap open all the time to show region borders (Ctrl+shift+m). You really want to only cross one region border at a time.... the minimap is useful for avoiding those corners.

On a third party viewer like firestorm you can r-click the minimap and show property lines. That is helpful to do for showing the protected waterways to sail between when sailing rivers... and with a little practice and pattern recognition you will get to identify linden rezz areas.

I tent to try to do that.. I was warned to never go there 3 sims meet, you will crash as the servers try to figure out what sim your going to 😝

I also, for now, keep flipping from the mini to the world map, so i can see just where it is i am going, but its harder to see the sim edges there.

16 minutes ago, Sorciaa said:

I tent to try to do that.. I was warned to never go there 3 sims meet, you will crash as the servers try to figure out what sim your going to 😝

I also, for now, keep flipping from the mini to the world map, so i can see just where it is i am going, but its harder to see the sim edges there.

When you have the world map open, if you click where you want to go and then close the world map you will see a vertical red line as a marker to indicate where you clicked and an arrow pointing to it that you can use to navigate. It is what we mean when we talk about waypoints.

So use the world map to set a waypoint, close it down and use the minimap until you reach the waypoint. You should only really need the world map for a long range view, to decide where you want to sail to next and if you want a waypoint to set it.

Edited by Aethelwine

Well, i went to the TMS release of their new boat and got one. i ran the demo and it seemed to sail very nice. more for racing maybe but i am sure it will be fine as a casual sailing ship

now just waiting on that U boat to be released 😊

Edited by Sorciaa

On 1/19/2021 at 6:14 PM, Aethelwine said:

I started in Desire, by the way, so if you are where I think you are you aren't limited to the small lake you are in. With care you can also head up the river to the East through Pine and Cranberry.

A boat like Becky's Baby Sloop from one of the two Yacht club's I mentioned earlier might make for a less hurried and more relaxing sail around the river systems. 

The no-script region I have trouble with is Egan, and it happens every time, so I don't think it's just bad sim crossings, unless there's something wrong with the region that causes a bad crossing every time. 

There are three lakes I can access, and I can get into the rivers through the Snowlands too. But there's no direct route further north than Sutherland & Sugarloaf, due to the fact that the water level in the north half of Sansara is about 40m lower than the level in the south.

I wish the Moles would cut a canal from that southernmost lake to the south coast, then it would all connect up with Bellisseria.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1187 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.