Question for Family RPers

nyahrou

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 178 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I haven't done family RP ever (not to the detailed extent a lot of families in SL are, it's more or less "hey we look similar and have similar interests wanna be my sister?" but there's no real RP elements), but I was considering it. Just going  over my wants and needs, and what I can realistically provide.

But before I go off making a post offering myself as an addition to a family, I'm curious... do you all always roleplay as a perfect family with perfect relationships, Full House or other generic feel-good sitcoms style? Because I was considering getting into this scene but I don't like playing as perfect Mary Sues, I need a 'lil more chaos and drama to be entertained! Let me roleplay as that one aunt who isn't invited at any family get-togethers because the main mom got beef, but the kids love me because I get them illegal video tapes straight from the movie theater.

...Come on, where's my drama?!

But all jokes aside, is my impression that everyone in a "family" is roleplaying perfection? Where everyone is happy all the time? Or am I wrong and I might find my perfect maybe-dad's-making-meth-in-the-basement ideal family not too far fetched?

Partially joking partially serious, not trying to offend anyone just being goofy. ♥

• Like 1

It does tend to go that way. As far as I can tell, at least from the kid side of things, family roleplay tends to be pretty safe and perfect. A lot of kids are doing it because they didn't have a family life growing up. Or they just want to play out the good parts of having a family.

That being said, I'm sure there are people who aren't about playing the perfect family. It would actually be really enjoyable to do that. It's just that you really need everyone to be on board with that from the get go.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HarrisonMcKenzie said:

It does tend to go that way. As far as I can tell, at least from the kid side of things, family roleplay tends to be pretty safe and perfect. A lot of kids are doing it because they didn't have a family life growing up. Or they just want to play out the good parts of having a family.

That being said, I'm sure there are people who aren't about playing the perfect family. It would actually be really enjoyable to do that. It's just that you really need everyone to be on board with that from the get go.

That makes perfect sense.

In all honesty, I've been craving wanting to RP as a teen. I lost all my teenage years from middle school until after highschool ended to depression. I'm a totally different person now, albeit admittedly stunted in my childish ways but I'm growing and improving. I'm 24 but I've been told I act like a teen.

Part of me wants to roleplay as a teen so I can kinda get that experience, being as I am now, rather than how I actually was. But part of me kind of feels weird for that, as in I'm not sure if it's right for me, especially ina  "perfect family" setting so, I don't know.

Not saying anything crazy HAS to happen, but y'know. Not aiming for perfection.

Also thank you for your input ♥

• Like 2

I have both an older kid and a teen, and they are both fun to play. I think as a teen, there is a bit more tolerance for non-perfect roleplay. As a younger kid, you're still (if it were RL) really tied to your parents and don't get a lot of freedom, and I think that bleeds into roleplay. That makes it hard to be a horrible kid or have a messed up past. Teens don't seem to be as limited.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, HarrisonMcKenzie said:

I have both an older kid and a teen, and they are both fun to play. I think as a teen, there is a bit more tolerance for non-perfect roleplay. As a younger kid, you're still (if it were RL) really tied to your parents and don't get a lot of freedom, and I think that bleeds into roleplay. That makes it hard to be a horrible kid or have a messed up past. Teens don't seem to be as limited.

Honestly, I think a perfectly normal family with one demon spawn child (as in, literally the destructive powers of the devil himself) would be awesome. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Jordan Whitt said:

I keep trying to sell my SL daughter on Marketplace, shove her into gacha machines or just leave her on a far and distant sim...but she always finds her way back!  

same

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DaphneDoodles said:

We play a very dysfunctional family.   Our children will likely be hitman /drug addicts or likely the smart ones will have years of therapy before they become a US senator.  If you like dysfunction, IM me!  :)

Omg just the level of messed up I'm looking for. Thank you!!! Will do!!

• Like 2

@nyahrou For the most part we are roleplaying as a chill SL family. 

The night before we did our in world Christmas my SL daughter Roleplayed wedging herself between the fireplace and the metal screen while it was on... so that was interesting. We've learned she's real BIG on physical incidents where she's injured, we just kinda go with it now. 😂

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• 3 weeks later...

I sometimes rp as a teen, a very rebellious teen. I don't really like to just rp the perfect family. I get so bored haha. RPing with other rebellious teen rpers is so much fun too. Sometimes though I find people tend to take it to OOC and hide behind rp to be mean to others and then I pretty much exit that circle because I just cannot abide being nasty. So while I like to rp as a very badly behaved teen in dysfunctional families, I tend not to say anything hurtful even in IC lol.

• Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 178 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.