Blocking Swank Events Spam

BrookeRanger

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1170 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

For any spam that's being sent through an inworld scripted object, blocking the owner of that object will stop it. Some serial culprits for that kind of thing have multiple scripted objects sending notecards and LMs out, so blocking the objects themselves might take a while, whereas blocking their owner will stop them all in one move. If you have offline IMs sent to email than you might be able to get their name that way; failing that you'll see an 'an object named X gave you Y' message if you're logged in when the spam arrives, so you know to block X. (You may need to click the object name link in the local chat/conversations window in order to find the owner name.)

Additionally, I'd suggest redacting the name of the avatar sending these spam items out. 'Naming and shaming' is not permitted on the forum. You can edit your post (three dots in the top right of the post) for 24 hours after you created it.

Edited by Skell Dagger
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

I am not trying to shame anyone but their spam keeps coming. I have even sent notecards to these people asking to be taken off their list. The message today was sent by SEBiz something that has no option to block. The option to unblock shows up, actually, but the messages come through!
This is truly annoying. I am not interested in their ads and truly regret subscribing the first time . Is there an option to unsubscribe or block and stop this annoyance anywhere?

8 hours ago, BrookeRanger said:

The option to unblock shows up, actually, but the messages come through!

To clarify: is this just text spam in your Conversations/local chat window, and not notecards that are being sent to you? Because if the option to unblock comes up for the avatar account that's spamming you, then you have definitely blocked them.

What I suspect has happened is that you have enabled the option to view muted chat in local. Have a look to see if you see the below at the top of your chat window:

show_muted_chat_nearby.png.20bdbc8dc23381cf59ac3c8acedab9d0.png

If that icon is highlighted, then that's why you're seeing any chat-only spam.

If, however, you're still receiving notecards, you probably haven't muted the avatar who owns the scripted object that's sending them. This video shows how to find out the owner of a scripted object. Note that there may be more than one object, with more than one owner, and that owner might not be the one who also owns the events group.

I was also spammed repeatedly by that event several months ago, despite never having attended it. I received regular notecards and IMs; at least one or two a week. I won't give their full names here, but the two avatar account names that I ended up blocking (which stopped the spam) are suffixed with 'Marketing' and 'SubscriberNews'.

No, not notecards at all. In my local chat I get all the spam. In bolded, brown colored letters.
I have blocked the object, the sender and all to no avail. I have sent her notecards and IMs asking to be removed from the list. No luck.

I really want to get this to stop

9 minutes ago, BrookeRanger said:

No, not notecards at all. In my local chat I get all the spam. In bolded, brown colored letters.
I have blocked the object, the sender and all to no avail. I have sent her notecards and IMs asking to be removed from the list. No luck.

I really want to get this to stop

Did you check for the chat setting in my image?

On 1/15/2021 at 6:08 PM, Skell Dagger said:

For any spam that's being sent through an inworld scripted object, blocking the owner of that object will stop it. Some serial culprits for that kind of thing have multiple scripted objects sending notecards and LMs out, so blocking the objects themselves might take a while, whereas blocking their owner will stop them all in one move. If you have offline IMs sent to email than you might be able to get their name that way; failing that you'll see an 'an object named X gave you Y' message if you're logged in when the spam arrives, so you know to block X. (You may need to click the object name link in the local chat/conversations window in order to find the owner name.)

Additionally, I'd suggest redacting the name of the avatar sending these spam items out. 'Naming and shaming' is not permitted on the forum. You can edit your post (three dots in the top right of the post) for 24 hours after you created it.

No. Blocking the owner does not work. Blocking the object either. If it did, I would not be posting about it here.
I have blocked all several times. I have sent IMs, have sent notecards. Nothing works
Please remove me from this annoying, spammy list

3 minutes ago, BrookeRanger said:

No. Blocking the owner does not work. Blocking the object either. If it did, I would not be posting about it here.
I have blocked all several times. I have sent IMs, have sent notecards. Nothing works

Why did you re-quote my first post here from a month ago, when you had already quoted it and replied to it earlier today?

I repeat my previous post of a few minutes ago: Did you check for the chat setting that's shown in the image in my earlier post from today?

I asked you to check if you'd enabled the 'show muted chat in nearby chat'. I'll paste the image again. Please check the top of your local chat/conversations window to see if this icon is highlighted. If it is, click it again to un-highlight it.

21 minutes ago, Skell Dagger said:

Why did you re-quote my first post here from a month ago, when you had already quoted it and replied to it earlier today?

Because I can.....  ? No rules against it, are there?

21 minutes ago, Skell Dagger said:

I repeat my previous post of a few minutes ago: Did you check for the chat setting that's shown in the image in my earlier post from today?

I asked you to check if you'd enabled the 'show muted chat in nearby chat'. I'll paste the image again. Please check the top of your local chat/conversations window to see if this icon is highlighted. If it is, click it again to un-highlight it.

The point is, my name is not removed from their spam. Sometimes I read blocked and muted avatars in local chat because of the occasion. 
Bottomline, is there no way to stop this spammer but to keep that toggle button in local chat selected? If so then I will follow that. Thank you

BTW, If I had a list where someone wants out, out of courtesy I would take the time to take them out. Like leaving a group. The option should be there

2 minutes ago, BrookeRanger said:

Bottomline, is there no way to stop this spammer but to keep that toggle button in local chat selected?

That, I can't tell you. We use the tools that we're given by LL, which are mute/block. If the event owner isn't responding to your notecards then there's nothing much you can do about it. That's regarded as a resident-to-resident dispute, which LL won't get involved in. You could try an AR for spam, and see if that stops it, but the first lot of spam I started getting from them arrived in July 2018, so if no action has been taken since then I doubt it will be taken now.

6 minutes ago, BrookeRanger said:

Because I can.....  ? No rules against it, are there?

No, of course not. But you'd already responded to my post previously. I was curious as to why you answered it a second time. Particularly, you said:

40 minutes ago, BrookeRanger said:

Blocking the owner does work. It has muted the spam, using the tools that we have available to us. That you choose to view muted chat is up to you.

42 minutes ago, BrookeRanger said:

Nothing we can do to help you here. We're just residents like you.

12 hours ago, BrookeRanger said:

Whoever owns that group is ignoring the notecards and IM requests. Can blocking anyone else cut their annoying spam?

Along with thousands of folks I am guessing I too had this problem. Eventually I wrote a note telling them I was going to AR them for spam since I had NEVER signed up to get the info (not new news). That didn't work and then I ARed them again and told that whole story and I haven't seen anything from them for a long while.  

Another (OMG worse person with a sim I would NEVER EVER VISIT had my alt on her list (they didn't visit either).  I went to the link the the message and found several servers constantly sending out notecards -- all presumably from folks who also didn't signe up.  I took note of the exact place of the server, took screenshot (now I think those are automatic) and documented my case. It took awhile but those notecards disappeared. They of course may have just left LOL.  Honestly it would not be a loss. Everyone deserves to have fun but not when constantly spamming folk who never showed any interest in their sim or products.  

BLOCK doesn't always work for sure.  If I have an issue in the future I will try blocking the person as well as the object. Good idea. 

14 hours ago, BrookeRanger said:

If the message comes when you are off line, or even if you catch it online, it usually has a SLURL for the object that produced the notecard or message. So click on that to see where it takes you. Sometimes it's an office in the sky with orbs that boot you away. Other times it's just a desk with no orb. You will find the item sending the spam. It might be a different owner than the name on the card. That's the thing you block.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1170 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.