I can not access my IM log history on my hard drive, please help me!

Phoebe868

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1191 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Two hours, that's how long I've been searching for them. I have googled and YouTube'd to the far corners of the internet to find out how to do it. 

So even though you're probably thinking, "This questions been answered a zillion times" well, the answers given to the others have not worked for me. 

The thing is, I COULD find them a week ago, so WTHeck?!

I would really appreciate any help you can give me, I feel like rage quitting life right now haha.

I am using a windows 10 laptop

I am using SL viewer

I have tried going to preferences and copying the link where it says my chat logs are saved to, it does nothing. 

I have tried all basic things to remedy this myself and now I'm in need of help lol. 

9 minutes ago, Phoebe868 said:

Two hours, that's how long I've been searching for them. I have googled and YouTube'd to the far corners of the internet to find out how to do it. 

So even though you're probably thinking, "This questions been answered a zillion times" well, the answers given to the others have not worked for me. 

The thing is, I COULD find them a week ago, so WTHeck?!

I would really appreciate any help you can give me, I feel like rage quitting life right now haha.

I am using a windows 10 laptop

I am using SL viewer

I have tried going to preferences and copying the link where it says my chat logs are saved to, it does nothing. 

I have tried all basic things to remedy this myself and now I'm in need of help lol. 

Assuming you have not changed them from the default location they will be in:

C:\Users\COMPUTER-USER-NAME\AppData\Local\SecondLife\phoebe868_resident

The "COMPUTER-USER-NAME" part needs to be replaced with whatever the username is that you log onto your computer with.  If you aren't sure, click the little Windows icon in the lower left corner of your computer and the menu will pop up.  Hover your mouse over the person icon on the left side and it will tell you the name of the logged on account.

image.png.9f89b0da08de9cbc9baa47d8f2452baf.png

If you cannot get to the named location, the files are likely protected.  I'll have to go check on how to unprotect them -- or someone will pop in here shortly and give that info.

• Like 1

Nope can't find it using your link. I googled how to unprotect files myself and followed instructions, that hasn't seemed to work wither. I changed the route path of the chat logs just now and it's saving new chat logs that I'm creating on SL right now. But my older ones have vanished, it's so infuriating.

try the "computer_username"(as addressed above) app data folder > roaming> second life > phoebe868_resident

I don't think it's saved in local, but rather the roaming folder (I know it is firestorm, and when I just checked my own pc, it also is for Second Life, which is the Sl viewer, at least on my pc). I wouldn't have normally put them there, so this is the default location. IF the files are in neither local or roaming, then you either had them saved to a different location (which no one here would know, you could try a search on your system for your av name or even a friend's name you've talked with) OR they were deleted somehow, which is entirely possible. 

Edited by Tari Landar

1 hour ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Tari is correct -- it is in Roaming, not Local.  I grabbed the wrong link.

C:\Users\COMPUTER-USER-NAME\AppData\Roaming\SecondLife\phoebe868_resident

This can also be written as %AppData%\Roaming\SecondLife\phoebe868_resident and should also work in your file manager.

4 minutes ago, Fritigern Gothly said:

This can also be written as %AppData%\Roaming\SecondLife\phoebe868_resident and should also work in your file manager.

Thanks - I was trying to remember that %AppData% shortcut.  I'm more of a linux gal when it comes to system variables and can never remember the Windows ones or even how to reference them most of the time.

5 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Thanks - I was trying to remember that %AppData% shortcut.  I'm more of a linux gal when it comes to system variables and can never remember the Windows ones or even how to reference them most of the time.

Heh, I am a Tux Birch (without R) myself 🙂 But I still remember this from back before I switched to Linux 🙂

Edited by Fritigern Gothly
  • Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1191 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.