Firestorm suddenly locking up entire computer

Rumancekk

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1170 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Everything was fine last night but when I got on today and went to a place I noticed my camera was kinda laggy and weird but I was getting like 20-30fps (my internet sucks).

I had it minimized for a while and noticed that it had crashed. And everything else had also crashed. Nothing was responding. I couldn't close it. I couldn't open task manager.

I had to shut it off by the button. When I turned it back on and booted up SL again the same thing happened, except it took less time. Even Task Manager crashed.

Both times trying to close SL gave me 'microsoftwindows is not responding' and gave me the option to end it but ending it didn't work.

The place I was in, it is laggy for most people, but it has never done this before. I have been here before with the only problem being lag.

I don't think anything changed since yesterday when I played it with no issues. I can't imagine what would've happened between then.

here are my graphics and processor specs

Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 Six-Core Processor             (12 CPUs), ~3.4GHz
                   Memory: 8192MB RAM
      Available OS Memory: 8124MB RAM

Card name: Radeon RX 580 Series
        Manufacturer: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
           Chip type: AMD Radeon Graphics Processor (0x67DF)
            DAC type: Internal DAC(400MHz)
         Device Type: Full Device (POST)
          Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_67DF&SUBSYS_8A921462&REV_E7
       Device Status: 0180200A [DN_DRIVER_LOADED|DN_STARTED|DN_DISABLEABLE|DN_NT_ENUMERATOR|DN_NT_DRIVER]
 Device Problem Code: No Problem
 Driver Problem Code: Unknown
      Display Memory: 12198 MB
    Dedicated Memory: 8137 MB
       Shared Memory: 4061 MB

3 answers to this question

2 minutes ago, Rumancekk said:

Everything was fine last night but when I got on today and went to a place I noticed my camera was kinda laggy and weird but I was getting like 20-30fps (my internet sucks).

I had it minimized for a while and noticed that it had crashed. And everything else had also crashed. Nothing was responding. I couldn't close it. I couldn't open task manager.

I had to shut it off by the button. When I turned it back on and booted up SL again the same thing happened, except it took less time. Even Task Manager crashed.

Both times trying to close SL gave me 'microsoftwindows is not responding' and gave me the option to end it but ending it didn't work.

The place I was in, it is laggy for most people, but it has never done this before. I have been here before with the only problem being lag.

I don't think anything changed since yesterday when I played it with no issues. I can't imagine what would've happened between then.

here are my graphics and processor specs

Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 Six-Core Processor             (12 CPUs), ~3.4GHz
                   Memory: 8192MB RAM
      Available OS Memory: 8124MB RAM

Card name: Radeon RX 580 Series
        Manufacturer: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
           Chip type: AMD Radeon Graphics Processor (0x67DF)
            DAC type: Internal DAC(400MHz)
         Device Type: Full Device (POST)
          Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_67DF&SUBSYS_8A921462&REV_E7
       Device Status: 0180200A [DN_DRIVER_LOADED|DN_STARTED|DN_DISABLEABLE|DN_NT_ENUMERATOR|DN_NT_DRIVER]
 Device Problem Code: No Problem
 Driver Problem Code: Unknown
      Display Memory: 12198 MB
    Dedicated Memory: 8137 MB
       Shared Memory: 4061 MB

Lots and lots of people have been crashing lately. Way more than "the norm".  I crashed seven times in one day during the weekend from hell a couple of weeks ago.  So if you are JUST crashing -- you are lucky LOL.   This for me and the folks I have talked to mostly on the OLD FS (BOM) not the EEP Firestorm (those folks seem to have been crashing even more from comments here and inworld).  No statistics on that of course. All anecdotal evidence.

I typically have a black screen crash, Windows sometimes can't find the display driver and yes, the whole system is frozen most of the time (not always).  I thought it was a viewer issue but not so sure about that any more. BUT if this is NEW to you it could be a Windows update issue.   No way around that either. 

I am hoping (and I am not alone) that when the UPLIFT gets completely done there will be time for the devs to work on these issues. Meanwhile its a bit nostalgic -- all the crashing -- and that's the best I can say about it. Reboot and come back. That is what the folks I know have been doing.   

My system is MUCH heftier than yours -- so this isn't a thing about you needing an computer upgrade -- at least the crashing part :D. 

1 minute ago, Chic Aeon said:

Lots and lots of people have been crashing lately. Way more than "the norm".  I crashed seven times in one day during the weekend from hell a couple of weeks ago.  So if you are JUST crashing -- you are lucky LOL.   This for me and the folks I have talked to mostly on the OLD FS (BOM) not the EEP Firestorm (those folks seem to have been crashing even more from comments here and inworld).  No statistics on that of course. All anecdotal evidence.

I typically have a black screen crash, Windows sometimes can't find the display driver and yes, the whole system is frozen most of the time (not always).  I thought it was a viewer issue but not so sure about that any more. BUT if this is NEW to you it could be a Windows update issue.   No way around that either. 

I am hoping (and I am not alone) that when the UPLIFT gets completely done there will be time for the devs to work on these issues. Meanwhile its a bit nostalgic -- all the crashing -- and that's the best I can say about it. Reboot and come back. That is what the folks I know have been doing.   

My system is MUCH heftier than yours -- so this isn't a thing about you needing an computer upgrade -- at least the crashing part :D. 

i should also mention that i haven't updated firestorm, it's the last update. i don't like the way things look in the new firestorm.

it is new but i haven't updated any drivers, and if i do update my driver it turns firestorm blue. apparently it did update while it was crashing so not sure what's going to happen with that now.

1 hour ago, Rumancekk said:

i should also mention that i haven't updated firestorm, it's the last update. i don't like the way things look in the new firestorm.

it is new but i haven't updated any drivers, and if i do update my driver it turns firestorm blue. apparently it did update while it was crashing so not sure what's going to happen with that now.

There is an issue with AMD drivers and there is a link on the viewer to fix that.  Not sure one has something to do with the other but maybe. Watch the viewer screen when you log in or do a search of the forums here for something like "blue screen" or maybe someone with a link will paste that in here for you. 

And just thinking about someone the other day asking about AMD and why almost all the oldtimers now use NVIDIA -- not that it isn't a good card, just that the SL devs have never designed with it in mind ^^.   Here is a great example. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1170 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.