Weight-painting - how finnickity to get?

I'm weight painting some garments at the moment, and because I'm ***** retentive I'm covering some pretty extreme poses. I just hopped in aditi to do a test, and noticed that my pose adjuster can't actually rotate my characters shoulder all the way... up? Are all SL avatars bone movements locked past a point? So say, your forearm can't bend the wrong way at your elbow? Or do SL avatars bend whichever which way and it was just the hud I was using that was constricted?

If you can bend however which way you like, how far do most creators take their mesh in terms of unusual posing etc?

Hope this makes sense!

1 hour ago, Liramaril said:

Are all SL avatars bone movements locked past a point? So say, your forearm can't bend the wrong way at your elbow? Or do SL avatars bend whichever which way and it was just the hud I was using that was constricted?

It was just the HUD. SL lets bones rotate everywhere.

• Like 1
22 hours ago, Liramaril said:

I'm weight painting some garments at the moment, and because I'm ***** retentive I'm covering some pretty extreme poses. I just hopped in aditi to do a test, and noticed that my pose adjuster can't actually rotate my characters shoulder all the way... up? Are all SL avatars bone movements locked past a point? So say, your forearm can't bend the wrong way at your elbow? Or do SL avatars bend whichever which way and it was just the hud I was using that was constricted?

If you can bend however which way you like, how far do most creators take their mesh in terms of unusual posing etc?

Hope this makes sense!

Avastar skeletons come with sane joint limits by default. It is a good starting point.

There is only so much you can do, especially given that SL doesn't preserve joints volume.