Jump to content

So this was a bit disconcerting...


You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 224 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Recommended Posts

I am using an alt for anonymity's sake when addressing this issue, because I am, quite frankly, a little disturbed by it and want to protect myself.

I met someone a few days ago who seemed really cool from the get-go.  Seemed really laid back, chill, but enthusiastic about starting projects together in SL.  Anyway I logged in only yesterday and realized that they had unfriended me.  Strange, right?  Anyway I message them to ask what's up, what did I do, and they went on this LENGTHY tirade about how manipulative I am and that I was pushing my agendas on them.  Extremely odd, since we had NEVER had any kind of heated discussion before.  They turned around the argument in a deft maneuver and claimed that I was harassing them if I ever talked about this to anyone, that they would contact the authorities, both through LL and RL, and warned me that persisting in this argument could get me "swatted" by them (for those unfamiliar with the term, it means sending a SWAT team to someone's house without real cause -- people have died from incidents like this).  They don't have any of my contact info in real life thank goodness, but I have to wonder:  is this something I should report to LL?  I blocked them immediately, I'm just wondering if there's anything else I should do.  I would hate for this person to "befriend" someone more gullible than myself and have them susceptible to being swatted.  The whole thing is just crazy.  Thank you for any feedback you might have.

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Qiu Heungsung said:

[...] and warned me that persisting in this argument could get me "swatted" by them (for those unfamiliar with the term, it means sending a SWAT team to someone's house without real cause -- people have died from incidents like this). [...]

That’s something you could, and perhaps should, file an Abuse Report about. Block you already did, so after that, just forget. Most of these are either *****s or loonies, who’d spout any threat no matter how impossible in practice; but insofar as they may indeed do it to others, you just AR it & forget. When & how LL will act on it is up to them, but it’s a common misconception that they never do anything, and one that quite often ends up helping the offenders—since no one ARs it, LL never catch wind of it in the first place.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We all have stories like this.

One of mine...I was having a talk with a good friend many years ago about stuff and I made a comment along the lines of how I sucked when I worked as a host in a club because I can't fake liking people well enough to pull it off.  I then left to go pick demon spawn up from school and came home to find she had defriended me.  When I finally got over my shock and asked her "wtf?" she said it was because she "read through the lines" and she knew I didn't like her.  I guess the hours I spent hanging out with her and talking to her gave it away huh?  She did try adding me again after I blasted her for her ridiculous assumptions, but I declined it.  Who needs friends like that!

Think of it as a bullet dodged.

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

59 minutes ago, Horus Salubrius said:

[...] there are 3 sides to every story: yours, mine & the truth.

I always prefer the 4th: the IMDb trailer. Might not be true even to the story, but it’s punchier.

  • Haha 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, belindacarson said:

But let's not forget: two sides to every story

I totally understand that, and wish I could further elucidate you folks on what happened.  But try to put yourself in this predicament.  In all the years I've been in SL, I can count the times something this scary has happened to me on one hand.  I don't drama-monger.  And clearly, I can't share chat logs or provide too many details because I might be putting myself at risk. 

To be quite honest I'm trying to laugh it off.  It was just so.. off the cuff and crazy, I don't know what else to do. 

And thank you to those who provided advice.  I am filing an AR with screenshots of the chat logs, and leaving it at that.

Edited by Qiu Heungsung
just added thanks. <3
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

If it helps, @Qiu Heungsung, 95% of them are counting on your reaction, that’s why they say these things in the first place, not because they think they can do anything like that.

The remaining 5% are essentially incapable of counting. I know one of these, he’s threatened to kill me on a couple occasions; most of the times he IMs me to send kisses, and meanwhile he usually reintroduces himself to everyone (who already knows him from years) by stating he’s 1,000 years old in real life.

So there’s that.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

There are those who rubberneck an accident, and then there are those who create accidents to rubberneck. Some people just gotta watch the world burn. Don’t be surprised if he shows up later on, and gaslight the whole experience, draws you in, then does the same thing again.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Qiu Heungsung said:

they would contact the authorities, both through LL and RL, and warned me that persisting in this argument could get me "swatted" by them (for those unfamiliar with the term, it means sending a SWAT team to someone's house without real cause -- people have died from incidents like this).  They don't have any of my contact info in real life thank goodness, 

The threat to get you "swatted" is a RL physical threat and should be reported, even if they don't have any method of tracking you down. 

My guess is that this person has mistakenly assumed that you're an alt of someone else who has upset them. Maybe it's their contact details that this person has?

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Alma Palmira said:

There are those who rubberneck an accident, and then there are those who create accidents to rubberneck. Some people just gotta watch the world burn. Don’t be surprised if he shows up later on, and gaslight the whole experience, draws you in, then does the same thing again.

Unless they use an alt, I don't think that will happen, since I have them blocked.  And if they DO, that's grounds for harassment.  So I think I'll just stay blissfully unaware of their status quo for as long as I can. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just take a deep breath, block them inworld, file an Abuse Report as per the standard Governance advice to ALWAYS file an abuse report (this is the standard advice that they've always issued at their inworld meetings), and let them take a look, if they can do anything from a simple warning to a short term ban, then they will take action,

then move on and enjoy your own Second Life ^^

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

What a very creepy sounding person! It seems this person did you a favor by removing themselves from your life. I think it would be a sound decision to block this person and move on.

I truly hope things get better for you. I'm sorry you went through such an experience.

I recently had an experience where I'm thankful true colors showed themselves early enough to avoid this level of creepy. 

Edited by Dafadilia Wayfarer
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/12/2021 at 11:24 AM, Ren Toxx said:

That’s something you could, and perhaps should, file an Abuse Report about. Block you already did, so after that, just forget. Most of these are either *****s or loonies, who’d spout any threat no matter how impossible in practice; but insofar as they may indeed do it to others, you just AR it & forget. When & how LL will act on it is up to them, but it’s a common misconception that they never do anything, and one that quite often ends up helping the offenders—since no one ARs it, LL never catch wind of it in the first place.

Is it not so, that if people speak in voice, LL can not find it and confirm what was said?

But LL can look up IM's and local text chat. It was a nasty accusation, if one lives in the US. From the stories I have read, it is enough that some ring 911 and say the neighbor has weapons, is talking about shooting up the Congress, killing a politician or taking hostages. And so, you get a visit armed to the teeth. Even if you don't get hurt, I wonder what the neighbour's would think. "No smoke without a fire, best to stay away from him/her".

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is what drove me off SL two years (?) ago. Someone stalking and harassing and taking it out of game into RL.They found my FB and Instagram accounts and somehow figured out who I was IRL, and I still have no idea how. He came at me relentlessly in SL with a few different avatars until I seem to have finally blocked him for good, and he got tired of trolling  and trying to manipulate me. This is why I refuse voice now. No idea why people (kids/incel/asshats/basementbois) even bother doing that crap.

Edited by BastetsDaughter
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...

Block and report the chat logs if haven't done so and also take any precautions if you feel like you're in danger in real life. I've dealt with people like that before it always ended up with an act of attacking with little to no action to get me to react badly enough to make myself go unstable in RL but since then I refuse to allow people to get to me and let it go basically.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/12/2021 at 8:49 AM, Qiu Heungsung said:

I totally understand that, and wish I could further elucidate you folks on what happened.  But try to put yourself in this predicament.  In all the years I've been in SL, I can count the times something this scary has happened to me on one hand.  I don't drama-monger.  And clearly, I can't share chat logs or provide too many details because I might be putting myself at risk. 

To be quite honest I'm trying to laugh it off.  It was just so.. off the cuff and crazy, I don't know what else to do. 

And thank you to those who provided advice.  I am filing an AR with screenshots of the chat logs, and leaving it at that.

Let's just say I've experienced this level of insanity multiple times throughout my 14 years and I've become numb to it. The best thing to do is not take it serious. Most of the time these people are so insane they'd forget what they're doing and target the next person over. Or they don't forget and they purposely target the said next person for sick kicks. There's a guy I know personally that's been doing it for years and he resides in Barbarossa continuously making ALTs and harassing people. There's no fixing it, just moving on is the key.

I'm gonna be honest, LL for the most part are so flooded with ARs like these that there's no reliable way to fix it. You just can't reason with someone who has no reason. You can AR sure but best course of action is just to block and move on like you did.

But never fear, these people are too disabled to function properly they're not much of a threat and some of them just do it to try and instill fear into you. Don't let it happen. They have insecurities so they try to boost themselves like pathetic swines and who knows what else is going on with them.

As others have pointed out; take it as a learning experience and weed people out for people that like you.

Edited by Simo Vodopan
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is absolutely crazy. But if we all think back we have some sort of incident like this or something similar.  When I initially joined in 2007 I brought my best friend in here as well. She met this guy who seemed "normal" till he decided to do a background check on ALL of her friends that she introduced him to. I don't know how, but he got my real name, found out my home address, where I worked, my position etc.  This absolutely pissed me off because I take my privacy very seriously especially because of where I worked, which at the time was with for the government of Canada. Needless to say I expressed my absolute fury to my friend and she also was not impressed or pleased with him that she discontinued all contact with him.  All that to say, sometimes the good old "Block contact" is often the best option.   At the time (being the newbs that we were), we weren't sure how to proceed after that but we both blocked him and moved on. There are some people who take advantage and try to show themselves up as these impressive folks when in reality they're nothing but sniveling unimpressive individuals.  You have to ultimately protect yourself. Since you've blocked her then don't stress or worry about it.  Move on and enjoy your SL experience. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 224 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...