how to make the game use all computer resources?

SkyIntruder

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1176 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

the game does not want to use all the power of the computer. at ultra settings, it gives out only 10-15 fps, while the processor and video card just relax and do not strain. only it is inappropriate to write here about cleaning the system or reinstalling Windows and drivers, or about viruses. other games on the same computer run at ultra settings at 60-120 fps and use all the power and all the resources of the computer.

8 answers to this question

What kind of CPU do you have exactly?

Every SL viewer is written fairly inefficiently; single-threaded and so on. If you have, say, 16 core CPU, your per-core performance is generally lower which makes things even worse for SL.

There may be some settings that could be adjusted (VBOs and such) and you could try different viewers (Black Dragon, Alchemy, etc).

The sad reality is that there isn't much you can do. The viewer itself needs to change.

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator
  • Like 2

Turn the draw distance down to 128M from the 256 Ultra sets it to. IMO 256M draw distance does little more than bottleneck everything. Turn off shadows and you should get pretty good performance almost anywhere using a reasonably powerful computer. Probably not 60fps in London City, but is should be more than usable.

2 hours ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

What kind of CPU do you have exactly?

Every SL viewer is written fairly inefficiently; single-threaded and so on. If you have, say, 16 core CPU, your per-core performance is generally lower which makes things even worse for SL.

There may be some settings that could be adjusted (VBOs and such) and you could try different viewers (Black Dragon, Alchemy, etc).

The sad reality is that there isn't much you can do. The viewer itself needs to change.

"Alchemy" at ultra settings gave an increase of up to 60-70 fps. but the GPU "GeForse RTX 2080 SUPER" was still only 35% used. The "Intel Core i7-9700" processor is only 30% loaded. memory free 24 out of 32 GB.

54 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

SL is not a modern game, and doesn't make use of a lot of the performance enhancing features of modern computers. It's single threaded, so a multi-core CPU won't be fully utilized. Its graphics use OpenGL, not the faster DirectX.

Thanks for the comprehensive answer.

8 minutes ago, Lyssa Greymoon said:

Turn the draw distance down to 128M from the 256 Ultra sets it to. IMO 256M draw distance does little more than bottleneck everything. Turn off shadows and you should get pretty good performance almost anywhere using a reasonably powerful computer. Probably not 60fps in London City, but is should be more than usable.

I'm not satisfied with "pretty good". Only the maximum ... Only "Hardcore" ... The question was not how to set up to play (I have been playing for several years and I know all the subtleties of the settings), but how to make the game work at 100% of the computer's power. but thanks for the answer.

Edited by SkyIntruder
  • Haha 4

39 minutes ago, SkyIntruder said:

I'm not satisfied with "pretty good". Only the maximum ... Only "Hardcore" ... The question was not how to set up to play (I have been playing for several years and I know all the subtleties of the settings), but how to make the game work at 100% of the computer's power. but thanks for the answer.

SL needs a new viewer to do that. The existing ones are mostly single thread and do not use modern GPUs fully.

Most games download the entire game at install. So, everything is on the local computer. SL has well over 200 terabytes of game data. Few, if any, have a computer with that kind of data storage. Plus, most games have content made by professional 3D modelers. SL is made by us. The content is poorly optimized, if at all. SL is going to be slower than other games.

Monty Linden is pointing out that while the viewer is multi-threaded the render engine is mostly in one thread. It is an old render engine.

If you peg one core of a 4-Core system to 100%, your overall performance is going to be about 25%. Monty explains how to see what is happening. This is the reason that faster cores are better than lots of cores. The i5 CPUs are typically the best for for the money when running SL because you can usually afford faster i5s than i7s. It is also why I overclock my system.

While there is no way to change how many cores your viewer will use, you can optimize your viewer's performance on your hardware. Unfortunately, the settings are different for different hardware. Most of our computers are different so our settings need to be different. You'll have to do some experimenting to find what works best for your computer. There are a number of articles on how to do that. SEARCH. I've done lots of experiments on my computers over the years and written about improving viewer performance. My Second Life stuff is here. Most of it is old but still applies.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1176 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.