DJs, how do you stay current and find music?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1181 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I don't like Spotify because it's all just edm. I used to use 8tracks all the time and find really good stuff there but all the mixes are now 5+ years old. Playmoss is dead. Last.fm is no longer a radio site. Youtube offers me things that are overly specific. Bandcamp is not mainstream enough. I go to various clubs, they all play the same tunes. I've recently become a dj and need to find music to play but I don't know where to look. Any advice?

16 minutes ago, Foggypebble Muircastle said:

Any advice?

buy it a legal way. Don't forget; wat you buy as consumer you can't use to stream other than for personal use. A internetradio/streaming station ( thats what SL DJ's are) need the commercial versions.
Be sure you also register as broadcaster at your musicrights organisation.

Didn't hear about SL DJ's getting in real trouble for useing ripped material, but you have the risk to get your stream detected and get seriously fined for it.

Edited by Alwin Alcott

13 minutes ago, Alwin Alcott said:

buy it a legal way. Don't forget; wat you buy as consumer you can't use to stream other than for personal use. A internetradio/streaming station ( thats what SL DJ's are) need the commercial versions.
Be sure you also register as broadcaster at your musicrights organisation.

Didn't hear about SL DJ's getting in real trouble for useing ripped material, but you have the risk to get your stream detected and get seriously fined for it.

I only DJ in SL. Interesting bit of information though, thank you. This didn't answer my question.

11 minutes ago, Foggypebble Muircastle said:

This didn't answer my question.

yes i did answer: buy it legally.
For example: VDJ has a subscription model for music use, no other royalty or streaming fees.
or
https://www.dmcworld.com/

or use google to find royalty free music.
Where you DJ doesn't make a difference, unless the venue has a license for their DJ's. Many won't becasuse it's pretty pricy. And i never seen one in SL having such because they aren't real venues with a physic location.

Edited by Alwin Alcott

1 minute ago, Alwin Alcott said:

yes i did answer: buy it legally.
For example: VDJ has a subscription model for music use, no other royalty or streaming fees.
or
https://www.dmcworld.com/

or use google to find royalty free music.
Where you DJ doesn't make a difference. 

I want to discover songs. I have nothing to buy right now because I haven't discovered any new songs.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Foggypebble Muircastle said:

Any advice?

Spotify absolutely isn't 'all edm'. I've discovered a fair bit of new music through it in several different genres. Sure, if you use the Spotify radio you may get stuff that isn't for you (just like listening to a radio station might not always play good music), but you can just skip a song if it's not to your liking. There also are countless playlists that you can look and listen through.

For browsing and discovering new music, it's great. Another way to find new music is to listen to radio channels (there are thousands of free radio stations around the web), or if you're into a specific genre you can discuss that music on various forums or keep up with music bloggers.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Orwar said:

Spotify absolutely isn't 'all edm'. I've discovered a fair bit of new music through it in several different genres. Sure, if you use the Spotify radio you may get stuff that isn't for you (just like listening to a radio station might not always play good music), but you can just skip a song if it's not to your liking. There also are countless playlists that you can look and listen through.

For browsing and discovering new music, it's great. Another way to find new music is to listen to radio channels (there are thousands of free radio stations around the web), or if you're into a specific genre you can discuss that music on various forums or keep up with music bloggers.

I've tried Spotify on and off for years and never had any luck with it, but I'll try it again if it really helped you. Another reason I don't like Spotify is they just don't have everything, they lack a lot of indie.

• Like 1

Spotify is full of genres of music.  They claim 40 million and growing.  You can easily find yourself in a rabbit hole of different music after just looking at one song.  

playlists.net is also a good place for ideas which takes you to spotify playlists.

Just now, Foggypebble Muircastle said:

Another reason I don't like Spotify is they just don't have everything, they lack a lot of indie.

Indie music is by its own definition not really supposed to be found on any mainstream platform.

Spotify have made it much easier for people to upload their own music as of late though, I know quite a few people who use it for their own music projects.

29 minutes ago, Cindy Evanier said:

Spotify is full of genres of music.  They claim 40 million and growing.  You can easily find yourself in a rabbit hole of different music after just looking at one song.  

playlists.net is also a good place for ideas which takes you to spotify playlists.

That playlists website was very helpful.

Anybody else wanna share your sources?

Bandcamp's the best IMO - have discovered so much through there. If you're after indie or alternative music, I think you could pick up loads of tunes there B|

My personal favourite free MP3 site is this one - it's not all current but is mostly alternative. The person who does it posts a song and a picture every day:

https://www.nevver.com/

Edited by Rat Luv
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Foggypebble Muircastle said:

I don't like Spotify because it's all just edm.

Never had that issue myself though one thing i don't enjoy is i do get recommended music by newer artists usually grime/hip-hop/r&b etc. using the same names as existing established artists i do like. an alternative streaming site i also use is https://www.deezer.com/en/ based on the songs i have favourited it does recommend me more indie/Britpop than Spotify 

It's interesting how these filter bubbles can lead to unexpected results. For example I can't remember spotify ever recommending me a single EDM song.

However it seems to think I need some Jesus in my life, because it keeps recommending me some deeply religious christian metal. Yeh I think that is a miss.

On the other hand I have found some wonderful music falling down the YouTube rabbithole. Just leaving it on autoplay for a bit and it leads to such wonderful things like Mongolian metal with throat singing, a Japanese band of retirement grandpas rocking the hell out to cosmic themes, a sudden glimpse of electric swing and...

Honestly, the filters can work in your favour if you feed them right. They can also fall apart miserably. As for indie music, bandcamp and YouTube served me best there.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, ValKalAstra said:

It's interesting how these filter bubbles can lead to unexpected results. For example I can't remember spotify ever recommending me a single EDM song.

However it seems to think I need some Jesus in my life, because it keeps recommending me some deeply religious christian metal. Yeh I think that is a miss.

On the other hand I have found some wonderful music falling down the YouTube rabbithole. Just leaving it on autoplay for a bit and it leads to such wonderful things like Mongolian metal with throat singing, a Japanese band of retirement grandpas rocking the hell out to cosmic themes, a sudden glimpse of electric swing and...

Honestly, the filters can work in your favour if you feed them right. They can also fall apart miserably. As for indie music, bandcamp and YouTube served me best there.

The problem with youtube is.. the autoplay tends to play every song by a single artist in a row before going to the next band.

12 minutes ago, Foggypebble Muircastle said:

The problem with youtube is.. the autoplay tends to play every song by a single artist in a row before going to the next band.

It seems like you have issues with most all of the suggestions you are receiving.  And I think this is a repeat of a discussion you started in December, also?

Where are some good ways to discover new music? - General Discussion Forum - Second Life Community

Perhaps you should not worry about it so much.  Just  go to the sources you normally go to for music that you like to listen to, and DJ based on that.   I would rather patronize a DJ that was really into the music they were playing than a DJ spending most of their time worrying about whether or not they are missing out on some wonderful source for wonderful music, or on cutting edge music that they may or may not like, but play because it is "new".  

Sometimes, when you can stop obsessing about something, and just relax and let things happen as they will, you find that things you were not able to find before may make themselves visible.

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, MoiraKathleen said:

It seems like you have issues with most all of the suggestions you are receiving.  And I think this is a repeat of a discussion you started in December, also?

Where are some good ways to discover new music? - General Discussion Forum - Second Life Community

Perhaps you should not worry about it so much.  Just  go to the sources you normally go to for music that you like to listen to, and DJ based on that.   I would rather patronize a DJ that was really into the music they were playing than a DJ spending most of their time worrying about whether or not they are missing out on some wonderful source for wonderful music, or on cutting edge music that they may or may not like, but play because it is "new".  

Sometimes, when you can stop obsessing about something, and just relax and let things happen as they will, you find that things you were not able to find before may make themselves visible.

What would you have liked me to do? Stop DJing or necro an old thread that went nowhere?

I have no music sources. All my old music sources went away. I used to just randomly browse 8tracks but it became unpopular years ago so the tunes there are 5+ years old. That's why this is so urgent.

1 minute ago, Foggypebble Muircastle said:

What would you have liked me to do? Stop DJing or necro an old thread that went nowhere?

I have no music sources. All my old music sources went away. I used to just randomly browse 8tracks but it became unpopular years ago so the tunes there are 5+ years old. That's why this is so urgent.

I was just curious as to why you didn't try the suggestions from the previous thread, which it seems to me are the same suggestions you are getting on this thread.  I don't know that a lot has changed in the world of music sources between last month and this month. Based on the comments I see you make about the various suggestions, I think you need try the suggested sources again, with an open mind instead of letting your pre-conceived objections cloud your experience.    

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Do you read music sites, blogs, etc? It's hard to recommend any particular one as I don't know what kind of style you're into. But you can get tips about new releases to check out through those, or find stuff that's similar to what you like, and they often have YT links.

12 minutes ago, Rat Luv said:

Do you read music sites, blogs, etc? It's hard to recommend any particular one as I don't know what kind of style you're into. But you can get tips about new releases to check out through those, or find stuff that's similar to what you like, and they often have YT links.

Music blogs and articles tend to disappoint me. I need something more human. Instead of 'experts' I get more out of playlists that common people create. I've found some of my best tunes from anime fanmixes for example.

1 minute ago, Foggypebble Muircastle said:

Music blogs and articles tend to disappoint me. I need something more human. Instead of 'experts' I get more out of playlists that common people create. I've found some of my best tunes from anime fanmixes for example.

Might be worth checking out Mixcloud :)

3 hours ago, ValKalAstra said:

However it seems to think I need some Jesus in my life, because it keeps recommending me some deeply religious christian metal.

But have you heard Pope Francis' prog-rock album?

It's been a little while since anyone told me I need Jesus. I feel left out. Perhaps my blasphemy has been lacking as of late .. Hm. I may have to do something about that .. Now where do I find volunteers who have nun costumes ..?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1181 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.