How to sell a small plot of land right now??

CaerolleClaudel

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1185 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi, I have a small parcel I would like to sell, but the whole land transaction part of the SL site is down, including info parts. I was hoping to get some info on how to sell land, but that seems undoable atm. I know there is the knowledge base, but so much of that is always out-of-date and useless. Could anyone give me some short, simple instructions? Really, is it even possible to sell land at this point?

As a basis, here is what little I know: When I click Land in my viewer, I get the About Land pop-up, and there is a button for Sell Land. So, it seems I can put it up for sale, and can select anyone or a particular person. If I select anyone, I guess that shows it for sale, but how do I complete the sale and make the transfer? Also, there is a selection for 'Sell the objects with the land,' but pretty much everything I have is Non-transfer, so I guess that is out?

I appreciate any help I can get! Thanks! :)

33 minutes ago, CaerolleClaudel said:

Hi, I have a small parcel I would like to sell, but the whole land transaction part of the SL site is down, including info parts. I was hoping to get some info on how to sell land, but that seems undoable atm. I know there is the knowledge base, but so much of that is always out-of-date and useless. Could anyone give me some short, simple instructions? Really, is it even possible to sell land at this point?

As a basis, here is what little I know: When I click Land in my viewer, I get the About Land pop-up, and there is a button for Sell Land. So, it seems I can put it up for sale, and can select anyone or a particular person. If I select anyone, I guess that shows it for sale, but how do I complete the sale and make the transfer? Also, there is a selection for 'Sell the objects with the land,' but pretty much everything I have is Non-transfer, so I guess that is out?

I appreciate any help I can get! Thanks! :)

Click the About Land.  Click the Sell Land.  Put in all the info, leaving it to sell to "anyone".  When someone comes along that wants to buy it, they will click Buy Land.  After they proceed through the screens, then either you or the land group will get the money.  If the land was 'deeded' to a group, the group gets the money and then, overnight, it will be paid out to those with the "Liabilities" ability -- always the Owner(s) and possibly others.  Basically there is nothing you need to do to "complete the sale and transfer the land".  It happens automatically when the person buys the land.

If you do click the box that says "include objects", anything that isn't transferable would not transfer.  If the new owner turns on the 'return objects' option or sets it to only allow group build, then the objects will auto-return to you, all in one big coalesced blob -- something you probably do not want.  Better to pick up all your stuff first.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, CaerolleClaudel said:

I get the About Land pop-up, and there is a button for Sell Land. So, it seems I can put it up for sale, and can select anyone or a particular person. If I select anyone, I guess that shows it for sale, but how do I complete the sale and make the transfer? Also, there is a selection for 'Sell the objects with the land,' but pretty much everything I have is Non-transfer, so I guess that is out?

when a person buys (using the Buy button) then you will automatically get the money. And the parcel will automatically show them as the owner immediately

with the Sell objects option then go with No, keep ownership of objects, unless you do have Transfer objects that you do want to sell with the parcel

edit: what LittleMe said

Edited by Mollymews
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Click the About Land.  Click the Sell Land.  Put in all the info, leaving it to sell to "anyone".  When someone comes along that wants to buy it, they will click Buy Land.  After they proceed through the screens, then either you or the land group will get the money.  If the land was 'deeded' to a group, the group gets the money and then, overnight, it will be paid out to those with the "Liabilities" ability -- always the Owner(s) and possibly others.  Basically there is nothing you need to do to "complete the sale and transfer the land".  It happens automatically when the person buys the land.

If you do click the box that says "include objects", anything that isn't transferable would not transfer.  If the new owner turns on the 'return objects' option or sets it to only allow group build, then the objects will auto-return to you, all in one big coalesced blob -- something you probably do not want.  Better to pick up all your stuff first.

Awesome, thanks so much! So I guess the best thing is to make a post in the Parcels for Sale forum and hope for the best.

Thanks again, you are always a fount of knowledge! :)

7 minutes ago, Mollymews said:

when a person buys (using the Buy button) then you will automatically get the money. And the parcel will automatically show them as the owner immediately

with the Sell objects option then go with No, keep ownership of objects, unless you do have Transfer objects that you do want to sell with the parcel

edit: what LittleMe said

Thanks, Molly, I appreciate you taking the time to help! :)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

I can not complete "set for sale" unless I click an opton for "Sell objects with land". Do not leave that open.

I had a choice between transfer items and not transfer items, so I selected 'do not transfer' and it went fine.

The next hurdle is getting someone to actually buy it, lol. But either way, it's fine. I was just going to abandon it (I am downgrading from Premium), but then I thought if I could sell it I could donate that money to sims I like. 

Thanks for your help! :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

It is important to understand that ASKING and SELLING prices can be very different. I looked up Caerolle's for sale ad and she is asking about five times what land like that goes for -- maybe more.  1024s are plentiful and unless it is special (roadside, beachfront (not water), protected, double prim etc) the price needs to be VERY cheap these days. 

Just because your neighbors may be asking giant prices,  it doesn't matter. They aren't selling either.  Everyday nothing special land priced around a a linden per square foot (so 1024 for a 1024) has a better chance of selling.  I see ads for that all the time.  

So that is likely the issue. You can only sell at a price someone is willing to pay -- just like real life :D.  

1 hour ago, Chic Aeon said:

It is important to understand that ASKING and SELLING prices can be very different. I looked up Caerolle's for sale ad and she is asking about five times what land like that goes for -- maybe more.  1024s are plentiful and unless it is special (roadside, beachfront (not water), protected, double prim etc) the price needs to be VERY cheap these days. 

Just because your neighbors may be asking giant prices,  it doesn't matter. They aren't selling either.  Everyday nothing special land priced around a a linden per square foot (so 1024 for a 1024) has a better chance of selling.  I see ads for that all the time.  

So that is likely the issue. You can only sell at a price someone is willing to pay -- just like real life :D.  

I am not really worried about selling it. When I bought it I expected to have to eventually just abandon it. I don’t need or want the Lindens, I was going to donate them. If it doesn’t sell by late March, which I expect it won’t, I will just abandon it and have no regrets.

6 hours ago, CaerolleClaudel said:

I am not really worried about selling it. When I bought it I expected to have to eventually just abandon it. I don’t need or want the Lindens, I was going to donate them. If it doesn’t sell by late March, which I expect it won’t, I will just abandon it and have no regrets.

I would rather see you reduce the price. It is so much abandoned land in SL. It is sad to look at the map. Maybe someone will buy it, but can't afford the price you are asking for now.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

I would rather see you reduce the price. It is so much abandoned land in SL. It is sad to look at the map. Maybe someone will buy it, but can't afford the price you are asking for now.

That's a good point, I guess. I really don't much care about SL at this point, but if it is not too much trouble I will sell for L1 or something. I have too much going on IRL to keep lowering the price and messing with it, though. I set the price based on what a land company was asking for the lot behind me, and less than I paid for it, but really was just trying to get money to donate, not for me to use personally. Honestly, I wonder if it will sell even at L1, though.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I tend to step the price down over time if a plot isn't selling.  Reduce it every week or two, with the amount of reduction often depending on how much time I have until I need it gone.

I am dealing with way too much IRL to be bothered with this, and honestly, don't really care about the whole thing anyhow. In the end, I just need to have no land by the end of March so I can downgrade my account and not get charged for another year of Premium.

I've sold land before, where after awhile I've dropped the price so I can get it sold before my next tier date, and then at the reduced price it gets purchased up by one of the land companies.  It seems like they always relist it for at least what I had been originally asking,  and often, at a higher price than I had been asking.  I often wonder how long they have to keep the property before it sells at those higher prices. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MoiraKathleen said:

I've sold land before, where after awhile I've dropped the price so I can get it sold before my next tier date, and then at the reduced price it gets purchased up by one of the land companies.  It seems like they always relist it for at least what I had been originally asking,  and often, at a higher price than I had been asking.  I often wonder how long they have to keep the property before it sells at those higher prices. 

I had my shop in Swanbridge for years (long for me :D) and it was on a road and by water and a rez zone.  The land across the road from my large parcel (several pieces) sold and resold and resold and resold over and over again. The same scenario each time with someone buying what they presumably thought was a bargain -- once the price had been lowered -- and then raising the price and sometimes decorating impressively although they didn't sell the items with the land. These were all "mini-land-barons"  or wannabe ones -- in that they had multiple parcels for sale.  It was fun to watch it happen over and over again through the years.  Finally it went back to Linden Lab and then they put it up for auction.  

And to answer the question above, I don't remember anyone keeping the property very long. Maybe a month or so.   They sometimes cut it up, they sometimes rented it and then sold it with renters on it (not nice) etc.   But the people across the road were constantly changing. 

I just went back over there and it is depressingly super ugly now. Nothing for sale, but my original half sim plot has been repurchased by my old landlord (part was sold to a neighbor at one time)  and it is for rent very cheaply -- and empty.   I would NOT want to live there now though.    I am sad to see how awful much of mainland is becoming. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1185 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.