Help. Stuck at Initialize VFS.

HannahAmir

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1185 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I have a GTX 2060.

I have tried the --noprobe.

I have tried 32 and 64 bit viewers.

I have tried clean reinstalling the viewers.

I have tried updating drivers.

I have tried multiple viewers, including alchemy, firestorm, and the official viewer.

There are no crashlogs

ALL of them hang at Initialize VFS

Everything was working fine about a week ago.

Edited by HannahAmir

15 answers to this question

9 minutes ago, HannahAmir said:

I have a GTX 2060.

I have tried multiple viewers, including alchemy, firestorm, and the official viewer.

There are no crashlogs

I don't remember exactly where the viewer hangs if the problem is a Flat Inventory issue, so this might not apply.

Is your inventory possibly FLAT?  i.e. contains more than about 2500-3000 items within any single folder, rather than lots of sub-folders within sub-folders, etc...?  If this is possible, then open a Support ticket and mention that you might have a flat inventory issue.  LL has tools that can fix your inventory in that case.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, HannahAmir said:

I have a GTX 2060.

There are no crashlogs

When you did the "clean" reinstall, did you completely remove the folders in APPDATA (both local and roaming) before the re-install?

I've spent some time searching through the JIRA, but nothing jumps out yet (well, nothing that you haven't already tried).  While you continue trying to figure it out, I'd suggest going ahead and opening a new JIRA ticket.  Use the official SL viewer to reproduce the problem and then zip up the logs.  See this info about creating bug tickets:

https://community.secondlife.com/knowledgebase/english/how-to-report-a-bug-r224/Section_.3

Have you checked for firewall and virus software issues?  Those have been problems for some folks in the past. 

It certainly seems that something is blocking any viewer that tries to connect to SL.  Did you install with VOICE all those times? I had a fair amount of problems with some of my programs not being happy with voice.  No other ideas, but since you tried on the Linden viewer support folks can likely help you when they get back to work :D.   

Do you have a secondary computer that you could try logging in with to see if it is computer specific?  

1 minute ago, HannahAmir said:

Nothing new there, and again, not only with firestorm, but all viewers.

OK.  I thought it was worth a shot.   Like most troubleshooting comments on the Firestorm wiki, that section is not merely talking about things that affect Firestorm.  Their suggestions often apply to any viewer you happen to be using.

1 hour ago, HannahAmir said:

Found an answer to this.  Launching the viewer as administrator got around the issue. I shouldn't have to do something like this however.

That would be related to how tight the UAC (user account controls) is set on your computer.  If you are an administrator on the computer you can change that, exempting all of the viewers and related programs - or even just plain loosening it up a bit on the computer.

• Like 1

I think UAC settings are a good bet. I don't see you saying you changed them... I could have missed it.

I don't see you say anything about whether you are disabling your anti-virus.

There should be some viewer logging info. See if any of these files give you a hint.

Is that the whole log?

It seems to stop after creating the cache and opening the viewer window.

The link I pasted names some additional error files. These are files that are present or not depending on when the viewer crashes. Look for those files. Build a report with the log information and files present and not. Put all that in a trouble ticket.

You have to do that with Firestorm viewer if you file the ticket with Firestorm or the Linden viewer if you file with the Lab.

You aren't answering our questions.

Edited by Nalates Urriah

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1185 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.