external scripts

Wesley Goland

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1165 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

in Linden Viewer: menu World \ About Land \ Options \ Allow other Residents to: Run Scripts: Everyone

the Everyone tick box (when ticked) will allow your friends/visitors to run their attached scripts/huds

Edited by Mollymews
[s]
  • Like 3

• Moles
On 1/9/2021 at 8:19 AM, Matthieu Quander said:

Alternatively, if may want to limit script users to a group, which is the default setting.  Set the group for your parcel on the General tab of the About Land settings.  All members of your group will be able to use scripts.

The truth is there is not really a "default" setting, per sey. If there were it would be like when we release homes the first time. The parcel is set to allow scripts to run for everyone with build and object entry limited to group. Those settings do not reset when a parcel changes hands, so you are actually getting the land settings the way the previous occupant set them. Many residents seem to choose or have been conditioned to lock everything down on their parcel to themselves only (in an effort to counter griefing perhaps?). It's a good idea to limit build to yourself and a group or allow build and use autoreturn for things not in the group, but turning off scripts is probably the least effective method and most annoying for visitors. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 10

• Moles
On 1/9/2021 at 5:06 AM, Wesley Goland said:

it seems external scripts are not allowed (only owner's script) so my friends for example can't use theyr body hud.

Unchecking the box that keeps anyone other than the parcel owner and group members from running scripts is certainly the best solution, as Abnor says.  As a point of clarification, though, you should know that most modern scripts for HUDs (especially those for AOs) contain code that allows them to continue running if they were running before you brought them into a no-script area.  That's true for many vehicles as well.  So, your friends' body HUDs should work now if they were wearing them before they entered your parcel, even if you have script permissions turned off.

• Thanks 6

• Moles
6 hours ago, Dyna Mole said:

Unchecking the box that keeps anyone other than the parcel owner and group members from running scripts is certainly the best solution, as Abnor says.  As a point of clarification, though, you should know that most modern scripts for HUDs (especially those for AOs) contain code that allows them to continue running if they were running before you brought them into a no-script area.  That's true for many vehicles as well.  So, your friends' body HUDs should work now if they were wearing them before they entered your parcel, even if you have script permissions turned off.

Actually I said the opposite. Most serious griefing objects will have that same work around, which is why locking scripts for everyone IMHO is more of an annoyance for visitors and members than a worthwhile security measure since you have to have the group tag active in order to run scripts on the parcel even if you are a member. 

Edited by Abnor Mole
  • Thanks 4

21 minutes ago, Dyna Mole said:

I think we are making the same point.  

When you check that box, you are making life unnecessarily difficult for friends and family who then have to remember to wear a group tag to keep some scripts running.  And, as you say, savvy griefers will barely be deterred because they know to wear scripted objects that keep running when they enter a no-script area. If you click to disable scripts in your parcel, therefore, all you are doing is annoying your friends.

I'm getting confused, because I thought we were discussing the "Everyone" box next to "Run Scripts". If you *check* that box, you allow everyone to run scripts, so it makes life easier for everyone. If you *uncheck* that box, then you restrict the ability to run scripts to group only, making it more of a pain for others. 

I think. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1165 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.