Thousands of parcels not showing in Land Search

Count Burks

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 956 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

22 minutes ago, Count Burks said:

This system worked fine until it got broken in december 2020. You have your Roleplay sims with some parcels you offer for rent, because of the current situation you are forced to pay 30L$ per week per parcel to have your parcels show up in search. In theory it is not even needed to list these parcels in Places Search as people who look for land use LAND SEARCH.

I just need to clarify:  I sell full parcels like most other private estate owners.  Wastelanders have full parcel controls.

27 minutes ago, Count Burks said:

Every single parcel that gets listed for sale, either mainland or Estate Land is supposed to show up directly in LAND SEARCH

This is what I don't understand.  In my almost 16 years of Second Life, I have always understood it to be that for your parcel to show up in search in any capacity, you must tick the "Show place in search" option -- even if the land is for sale.  If that's not the case, man I feel pretty dumb.

4 hours ago, NeoBokrug Elytis said:

Note: If your parcel does not appear in the Land Sales tab in the Search window, see Making your land appear in Search.

Interesting. Wonder if the Knowledge Base (like the wiki) can reveal when that Note was added, perhaps coincident with For Sale parcels no longer appearing in Search automatically (which I can attest did work back when I put land for public sale, years ago).

From that article

Your parcel is now for sale. Unless you set the land for sale to a particular Resident (see below), your lisitng appears automatically in the Search window's Land & Rentals tab.

So, which is it?

Edited by Rowan Amore

How to sell land

This article explains the mechanics of safely selling land inworld.

Note: This article does not tell you how to advertise your land or the best way to sell it. There are a variety of good strategies; to find the ones that work for you, experiment and ask experienced landholders for advice.

To set a parcel of your land for sale:sell_land_001.png

1. Right-click on the ground and select About Land.
  2. In the GENERAL tab of the About Land window, click the Sell Land button. The SELL LAND window opens.
  3. Under Set a price, enter the amount in L$ for which you wish to sell the land.
  4. Under Sell the land to, select Anyone or Specific person. See below for more information on selling land to a specific Resident.
  5. Under Sell the objects with the land?, choose either to keep or sell the objects on the parcel.
  6. Click Set Land for Sale.

Your parcel is now for sale. Unless you set the land for sale to a particular Resident (see below), your lisitng appears automatically in the Search window's Land & Rentals tab.

This is how it works and how it has always worked before the system got corrupted in december previous year.

Again LAND SEARCH and PLACES SEARCH are not the same thing.

PLACES SEARCH is working fine at the moment, to get in PLACES SEARCH you pay 30L$ like always.

LAND SEARCH never required to pay 30 L$ for each parcel to get listed in LAND SEARCH

PLACES SEARCH is an instrument allowing residents who have a developed parcel which offers an experience worth visiting to get their parcel listed. For example: A store, venue, gallery, office, Roleplay area, community point and so on...

Parcels that are vacant and available for rent do not even belong in PLACES SEARCH that is why there is a separate search engine named LAND SEARCH

Edited by Count Burks

11 hours ago, NeoBokrug Elytis said:

This is what I don't understand.  In my almost 16 years of Second Life, I have always understood it to be that for your parcel to show up in search in any capacity, you must tick the "Show place in search" option -- even if the land is for sale.  If that's not the case, man I feel pretty dumb.

When you set a parcel for sale, either on mainland or on Private Estate land your parcel will show up in Land Search within two minutes without paying. This has always been the case and that is how it is supposed to work. A parcel that is set for sale will not show up in PLACES SEARCH unless you pay for this. However there is no reason for parcels to get listed in PLACES SEARCH at all.

People who search for land use LAND SEARCH. When one would use PLACES SEARCH to search for land one might find actual land offices or information points to be listed in PLACES SEARCH by the Estates. 

**** The entire point here is that thanks to this current "system glitch" everybody needs to pay now to make their parcels show up in search while this should not be the case. If you have 200 parcels at 30 L$ per week you pay 6000L$ per week or 312000 L$ per year which is the equivalent of 1300 USD per year.

So yes I complain as I do not see why I should suddenly start paying such an amount to have my land listed in search.

Edited by Count Burks

Neat.

I never really paid too much attention to the whole land sale thing after the V1/V2 viewer migration to web search.  I also just assumed that you needed to have land show up in search to be listed in the for sale section.  I am glad I am wrong, but regret spending all that L$.

It doesn't help that there's been multiple different names for land search, where it's displayed, what it was.  It also doesn't help that the information has gone through a wiki, then the Knowledge Base system we have now -- which still has outdated information in it.  It also doesn't help that it still speaks to older features or naming conventions.  It also didn't help that this thread did what form threads do, is relate similar but unrelated topics (like name searches).  Which is why I was confused, and wanted a bit more clarification as to your experience.

As you said, it seems to be a bug for now.  But with LL changing how SL works and operates in general, I wouldn't be surprised to see that change as being intentional.

I know you already filed a JIRA, and I know LL wants folks to file a JIRA when issues come up -- but what LL really wants is folks to explain how something is not working in GREAT DETAIL, every step of the issue.  Yeah it's kind of a pain and takes time to write up, but it lets LL know where to start looking into the issue.

27 minutes ago, NeoBokrug Elytis said:

I know you already filed a JIRA, and I know LL wants folks to file a JIRA when issues come up -- but what LL really wants is folks to explain how something is not working in GREAT DETAIL, every step of the issue.  Yeah it's kind of a pain and takes time to write up, but it lets LL know where to start looking into the issue.

Linden Lab really knows in great detail about this. I have been in contact with support for over a week. Support also gave me detailed instructions what to do to figure why my parcels are not showing up in LAND SEARCH as requested by Linden Lab their engineers.

Support confirmed to me Linden Lab didn't suddenly made a change where they started to bill residents to have their land listed in LAND SEARCH without informing residents of Second Life about this.

Edited by Count Burks

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/21/2021 at 9:44 PM, Keira Linden said:

Hi Count,  I'm sorry you're having trouble with Search.  We've tried to replicate the problem, but so far haven't had any luck.  Unfortunately, Search isn't an issue that we can troubleshoot in the forums since we need very specific information to try to track down the problem.  If you could submit a support ticket with the following information on it and ask it to be sent to my attention (I'll let them know to be on the look out for it) then we might have better luck trying to locate the issue.  For this repro, I will need you to use the official Second Life viewer, as the Firestorm viewer results can differ.  On that support ticket, please include the full parcel name and description of at least 1 but not more than 3 test parcels that should be showing in Search but are not.  Once I have that info, I can have an engineer take a look and we can get back to you on that support ticket as soon as we've had the chance to look into it.

Thank you!

@Keira Linden On June 21 you asked me to file a support ticket regarding this topic. Support came to the conclusion there is a system bug which support described as a "High Priority" matter which they would look into and resolve.

We are August first today, 40 days after you did post in here. The issues still persists. WHERE ARE MY PARCELS IN LAND SEARCH? Why is this still not fixed?

Support states the engineers are working on it. Why are you not making sure this is getting fixed @Keira Linden ?

Over a month time for some engineer to pull the results from a MySql table through a Php script and display them on a website?

You know the cause of the issue, you know it needs to be fixed, why is this taking so long? @Linden Lab

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE

Linden Lab confirmed through the support ticket system that the fix for this is currently in testing mode before they will apply it to the live system. It seems like progress is being made in the right direction, hopefully there will be result soon.

🔥 UPDATE FOR THOSE WHO FOLLOW THIS TOPIC 🔥

When first reporting this issue on january 8 2020 there were a total of land 1854 parcels showing up in Land Search for both mainland and Private Islands. (these numbers slightly increased to about 2400 parcels over the months as people started to list their land in Places Search instead).

Only 286 parcels showed up available on Homestead islands for sale.

It looks like today all my land is back in Land Search as it should be (and all the other parcels as well). The number of indexed parcels I have also appears to be correct again.

Instead of only 1854 parcels showing up as reported in january there are now 8069 Parcels indexed as land for sale on both Mainland and Private Estates (75% of parcels were missing from Land Search yet nothing got done for 8 months).

This even excludes parcels that are set as available for rent which is another 6089 Parcels.

Click to see results of indexed parcel. Second Life Search

When comparing Homestead land which only had 286 parcels listed this number is now 708 Parcels.

Hopefully this is a permanent fix. Thank you to @Dottie Linden who did her job making sure this got fixed and followed up on the situation at @Linden Lab @Keira Linden

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 956 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.