Jump to content

I need a low-prim small house... all I can find are shacks and mansions


Recommended Posts

9 minutes ago, Foggypebble Muircastle said:

I'm currently sharing land with people who have a full house on it. I tried the houses at freebie galaxy but they were all too prim-heavy and wouldn't build all the way. I need something I can fit a bed and table in but that will leave me enough prims to add furniture in.

Try Hisa. This is the one I'm currently using.

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Hisa-La-Maisonette-DAurora/19263340

  • Like 6
Link to post
Share on other sites

If you go to Marketplace you can click on Buildings/Residential and then specify your prim limits*.  Myself, I like Chin Rey homes.

"Prim Count" does not equal "Land impact" as I found recently. Some 'tortured prims' can be only 'one prim', but have a land impact that is much higher. The other day I thought I was being smart by using a prim with a square hole as a fence - turned out the computer decided it had a 24 land impact....

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Eddy Vortex said:

Carravelli Homes have some starting at 13 LI:
https://marketplace.secondlife.com/stores/210468

How low LI are you thinking of? Under 30?

The Sunnyside Retreat house looks promising at 25 LI: https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/The-Sunnyside-Retreat/3781130

 

Yes, low is different for everyone. Anything under 100 is low to me.  I also prefer one level homes.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, RowanMinx said:

Yes, low is different for everyone. Anything under 100 is low to me.  I also prefer one level homes.

Ignoring my showing-off post... ;)

For medium sized houses like the ones mentioned so far in this thread, 20 LI is high, and that is without cheating on the LOD models.

This 12x12 m Tudor revival house/cottae for example, is 17 LI:

bilde.thumb.png.4c643a4eb85744d795a4175b9d822bea.png

I'd say that's rather high for a house this size but the timberframe adds a lot.

Edited by ChinRey
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, ChinRey said:

I'd say that's rather high for a house this size but the timberframe adds a lot.

   Mine is 87 ...

Snapshot-127.png

   66 if you skip the conservatory. Hm. Yeah it probably could have been better optimised. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Syo Emerald said:

I'm suprised someone would go to Freebie Galaxy unironically. That place was already outdated, when I was a newbie ten years ago...

I'm not sure what to say. Most of what you can get there is outdated, yes. But some of it, such as Gene Jacobs' houses, are better described as classics. They still don't really belong in a modern SL setting of course. The scale is wrong, the land impact is too high and there were limits to how much details they could include back then. But we still have to give Jabos and the other early masters credit for the brilliant ways they used the tools and materials avaiable back then.

Freebie Galaxy, Freebie Dungeon, The Arcadia Asylum Library, the Yadni's Junkyard collection, Stillman and others have preserved many gems of the past so that those of us who appreciate great craftmanship as something that has value in itself can still admire and learn from them. For that I am grateful and I hope others are too.

Edited by ChinRey
  • Like 6
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, shireena1 said:

Something here might be suitable perhaps?, very low prims, not sure of land impact tho, im not too cluey on that...

Prim count and land impact are the same, just the old and (relatively) new name for it.

...

I have a problem here because there is something that needs to be said but I shouldn't be the one to say it since I'm technically a competitor on the same market. Oh well here we go.

The store you linked to keeps the land impact down by "cheating" on the LOD models. That means the walls tend to collapse even at fairly moderate view distances. This is rarely a problem inside a sky box but down on the ground, do you really want a house with walls that are invisible from the neighbour plot so people can see right into your house? I actually made that 1 LI house I linked to earlier specifically to give people something in the same style as these houses but without that flaw.

Edit: If somebody feels I'm out of line by posting this, please feel free to report it to the moderators. I will respect their decision.

Edited by ChinRey
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ChinRey said:

I'm not sure what to say. Most of what you can get there is outdated, yes. But some of it, such as Gene Jacobs' houses, are better described as classics. They still don't really belong in a modern SL setting of course. The scale is wrong, the land impact is too high and there were limits to how much details they could include back then. But we still have to give Jabos and the other early masters credit for the brilliant ways they used the tools and materials avaiable back then.

Freebie Galaxy, Freebie Dungeon, The Arcadia Asylum Library, the Yadni's Junkyard collection, Stillman and others have preserved many gems of the past so that those of us who appreciate great craftmanship as something that has value in itself can still admire and learn from them. For that I am grateful and I hope others are too.

Don't get me wrong, I don't want to say those places have always been bad and they certainly do serve a purpose in preserving a part of SL history. It just seemed like such an odd idea to go looking there for a house to actually use today, even more if there are some requirements like low land impact.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Claireschen Hesten said:

If you're not too fussed about colour or being gacha these Trompe homes are low Li quite roomy despite the small footprint. while waiting for the stilt release played around with one will more than comfortably fit a bed and table etc. 

672237246_Gacha-TrompeLoiel-Ettienecottage_001_edited.jpg.be0c012bd235274fd72dc95041bc6ecb.jpg

 

I managed to get a kitchen, living room, bedroom and bathroom in mine. They are really nice, though I decided that it was really just a bit too small.

Edited by Lewis Luminos
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, ChinRey said:

Prim count and land impact are the same, just the old and (relatively) new name for it.

...

I have a problem here because there is something that needs to be said but I shouldn't be the one to say it since I'm technically a competitor on the same market. Oh well here we go.

The store you linked to keeps the land impact down by "cheating" on the LOD models. That means the walls tend to collapse even at fairly moderate view distances. This is rarely a problem inside a sky box but down on the ground, do you really want a house with walls that are invisible from the neighbour plot so people can see right into your house? I actually made that 1 LI house I linked to earlier specifically to give people something in the same style as these houses but without that flaw.

Edit: If somebody feels I'm out of line by posting this, please feel free to report it to the moderators. I will respect their decision.

When I'm shopping for buildings, I try to get as far away from the model as I can to see how it looks at a distance. 

Also, beware of creators who say something like "If the structure does not look right to you, you need to improve your viewer settings."

Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't remembered the name of the house I sometimes use, bit if you search MP for "grunge townhouse" or something like that, there's a really nice 3/4 bedroom house that's somewhere around 20 or 30 LI. There's a non-grunge version, but that's how I remember finding it. I like it a lot, and it's not palacial like so many SL houses are.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...