New to Here and Wanna Friends

JSeesaw

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1128 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello, I'm Jinny Seesaw. Being new to SecondLife for about two weeks. During these days, I tried to hang out around, learned to build something, and finally bought a small land to set a store. 
I didn't meet many people because of the UTC+8 time zone. Most of the time, I stayed at home to learn how to create, but it's hard for me to build 3D structures.
I'm not sure what the next step is; maybe I'll still try to explore, join the party to meet people, and attend events. Or play games on Gaming Island, I found that it is fun!
It might be a chance to meet new friends, so that I post this topic here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Pleasure to meet you Jinny!

My name is Pharaoh, I'm not new but I've always been in some kind of shell when it comes to socialization.

I just recently began to change that and become a tad bit more social.

I usually sit on my land decorating, landscaping, or playing board games I've purchased.

• Like 1

On 1/7/2021 at 5:50 AM, JSeesaw said:

I'm not sure what the next step is; maybe I'll still try to explore, join the party to meet people, and attend events. Or play games on Gaming Island, I found that it is fun!

You could also try searching for groups that match your interests. It's a bit like RL -- if you went out and meandered aimlessly it's doubtful you'd meet many to click with. But say you're interested in certain topics like 'feminism' or 'spirituality', or wild-west roleplay. You can search for those and instantly have something to talk about with potential friends.

• Like 2

Hello:

And welcome...

Good place to checkout

New Citizens Incorporated 

In secondlife

Wish I had known about this place when I first started

Lots of free stuff to get you started and free classes to teach you everything in secondlife 

And in the meet and greet zone there are mentors you can ask anything ... 

Or sit and chat with new citizens of secondlife such as yourself

Enjoy:

Signed:

Wraith Fride

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Annabell Wandsworth said:

The op is reaching out here. 

Telling her to look elsewhere could be seen as counterproductive.

I think she is reaching out in a non-productive place, and that she would have more success in world. If i find someone in the grocery store looking for tomatoes in the bread isle, is it counterproductive to tell them to go to produce?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I've gone to some destinations like London City, New Citizens Incorporated, New Resident Island, Totally 80's Club, Wastelands, etc. And I went shopping a lot these days.

Sometimes I don't know what to talk about, maybe because I'm not excellent at chatting.
So I thank you all for those suggestions. Thanks to those who IM me to have an excellent talk.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Annabell Wandsworth said:

Pretty sure this forum is for meeting new people.

Read the line under the title of the forum it says "It’s easy to make friends in Second Life. Discuss the best ways to connect to other Residents." It does not say just come here to meet friends. I am doing what the forum is actually for, discussing ways to make friends. 

Edited by Talligurl
  • Like 2

On 1/15/2021 at 5:44 AM, Talligurl said:

Read the line under the title of the forum it says "It’s easy to make friends in Second Life. Discuss the best ways to connect to other Residents." It does not say just come here to meet friends. I am doing what the forum is actually for, discussing ways to make friends. 

Give the girl a break and don't attack for trying to make friends.

38 minutes ago, Annabell Wandsworth said:

Give the girl a break and don't attack for trying to make friends.

I am only defending my post trying to help out by giving advice on how to meet people which you attacked.

1 hour ago, Annabell Wandsworth said:

I think people post in the forum, and I could be wrong, to look for people to make friends with. 

True, but probably the least productive way.  This is a very small group of people.  A lot of whom don't even read this area.  It's best to find things of interest to you and join groups.

20 minutes ago, Annabell Wandsworth said:

If that is true, what is the purpose of this forum category?

Make Friends

It’s easy to make friends in Second Life. Discuss the best ways to connect to other Residents.  Which is exactly what @Talligurldid.

Edited by RowanMinx
  • Thanks 1

I can definitely see both sides of this. I think if you are interested in making friends with residents who post here on the forums, the best way to do that is to engage in the various topics. Ask questions, give input on other peoples posts. But if you are looking for in-world friends, Talli's advice is sound. I am not saying it's easy though.  Finding my group of friends was kind of a happy accident years in the making. For me it started with finding a club that played music I liked and had a vibe I enjoyed . I became a regular there and engaged in local chat with the other patrons . The rest was kind of history. It was  not easy or fast , but I eventually made friends by becoming part of the scene. So have patience with yourself and others.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Laurel Aurelia said:

I am not saying it's easy though.

It says it's easy right at the subtitle of this very board. Surely, LL can't be wrong! 

I remain of the opinion that making friends in SL isn't difficult, and that people who claim it is difficult are doing it wrong. But, we've already been there and done that, and I don't feel that I have more to contribute to in that particular question than I already have, except perhaps for this: to look for friends in clubs is like looking for decent food in a vegan restaurant.

16 hours ago, Annabell Wandsworth said:

If that is true, what is the purpose of this forum category?

Not just for making friends with the people on the forums (which is probably less than 1% of the SL population), but also to discuss ways of making friends in SL.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell

I think it depends on the clubs you attend. I am not of fan of places where people just stand around in their IMs . If I am feeling social and  go out   (happens rarely these days)  I will join the local conversation if there is one and if no one is interested in talking there then I just take off. I say to try music clubs because it is generally an interest that most people have, and there is oodles of them around to sample. Of course this is all  based on my experience. Perhaps there are places that burgeoning creators or those interested in building go to share ideas that I don't know about. In some ways I was very lucky to join SL when I did.  There weren't as many places to go and everyone was a lot more accessible and less jaded. Back then people didn't know any better that they shouldn't talk to me . >.<   Finding friendship should not be difficult, but the nature of SL and it's residents can certainly make it feel that way especially when you are new or overwhelmed by the virtual world.

Also Oreos are vegan.

• Like 1

I don't know but I've met literally ever friend I've had and still have at clubs.  There is.such a wide variety of people to choose from so I poke around in profiles until I find something that interests me then dive into their IM.  What's the worst that can happen?  They ignore me or snub me in some way?  Pfft.  I'll just move on to the next person of interest.  I  always look at the profile first before ever looking at their avatar.  Never has the appearance put me off.  However, if I open a profile and see nothing, even if when I look the avatar is amazing, I probably won't bother with a message. 

If new people could spend time on one thing, I tell them to put some thought into what they say there.  

Even if you're a couple weeks old, you have some ideas and expectations about SL.  

• Like 5

On 1/19/2021 at 9:06 PM, LittleMe Jewell said:

Not just for making friends with the people on the forums (which is probably less than 1% of the SL population), but also to discuss ways of making friends in SL.

It's also worth remembering that ways of making friends that are obvious to oldtimers are not obvious when someone is new, so there's value in repeating the basics. I've talked people through how to use search to find places. I've recommended upcoming events to people and encouraged them to join the groups for those events. People don't start out knowing those things.

(On that note, a lot of events run in spring and summer, so now is a great time to look at what's coming up or ask if there are any events for your interests.)

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

It was amazing that I've been three months in SL. I already have some friendships with people. Most of them have the same country as mine so that we could have more effortless conversations.

I have a parcel in mainland Satori, and some of my friends live in the same SIM as my neighborhood. I start enjoying sailing and driving on the route. It's interesting to realize the geography of SL mainland by those activities.

I feel grateful to you all.

• Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1128 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.