Ok, I am man who likes to play in SL. Some former partners have vowed revenge when I divorce them. Lately, every time I log into Firestorm my connection gets bad, it crashes and my system goes to desktop. Can residents attack my connection to Firestorm?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 287 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

8 hours ago, Chaser Zaks said:

Very very unlikely. Residential internet connections, at least a majority of them, are not good enough to launch a denial of service attack. Even then, you are more than likely to see a crasher attack from them than something as convoluted as a denial of service attack.

What is actually happening is you are either experiencing Bad ISPisms(When your ISP claims "everything is good on our end" but it is broken for customers), or you have your bandwidth slider up too high.

image.png.b50689bee573ca3c754f127314e4c785.png

Just because this can go high, does not mean you should make it go as high as possible. Keep it at 1500Kbps or lower if your max download is lower. A lot of people seem to make this mistake thinking it is like a quality slider, but a lot of stuff in preferences is actually technical tweaks that can cause issues SL if not set properly for the specific hardware setup.

The recommendation is 1500 for Fios/high speed broadband, 1000 for DSL & Cable, 500 for wireless/dialup.  I think they have adjusted that a little bit in the last few years but it's still a good rule of thumb.

https://wiki.firestormviewer.org/fs_speedtest

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 287 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.