Inworld Video Projection?

djchandlergrace

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1136 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have been scratching my head trying to figure out how to accomplish this, but I just cannot seem to figure out how.   Basically the scenario is I have a club that is rather long.  Usually DJs will be up on the stage at the DJ booth, but this is pretty far away, and anyone on the dance floor is pretty far away.  It would be great if I could have some sort of camera in front of the DJ booth that projects to a large screen behind the DJ (I also have a few TVs around the club, but I will figure out that once I tackle this).

For reference, here are some quick shots of the club, so you see what is going on:

From the furthest point on the dance floor, you'll see that the DJ is super tiny

https://gyazo.com/9fb560c0ecf9c8bd971dffa12a60f806

From the middle side of the dance floor

https://gyazo.com/5c525d8938c6b0e60b259a0af3ce8d51

I would like to figure out a way to get a live video of the DJ that is spinning to play on the screen behind.  The shot would look similar to the gif below:

https://gyazo.com/9f391bc290eba4e4e1b731581e083d3f

Here is a mockup of what the screen would look like, for the most part

https://gyazo.com/56758b22ebea35b8c46a0450834ca239

is this something that is even slightly possible?  I have tried to use live video, since I do live streaming when I DJ, but I haven't been successful getting live streams from RL sources to play in SL, only historical SL videos.  I also know I could "cheat" and record loops of each DJ and then have them choose the loop of them on the screen when they DJ, but that is not what I am looking for.  I know I will change the animation I am using based on the song I am spinning.  

Any thoughts and or tips would help immensely. Thanks in advance

1 minute ago, animats said:

LL did a special viewer that supported streaming for some special event. Did that go into the mainstream viewer yet? That's what you need.

A part of me is surprised that this hasn't come up before.  I wouldn't be opposed to having an alt logged in on an old computer and running the stream from that.  There's gotta be a way to do this I figure

3 minutes ago, OptimoMaximo said:

Did you think of making a live on YouTube and attach the live url to a media prim? 

I've never been able to get live videos to work in SL (Believe me, I have tried extensively).  Before I started streaming the from the inworld club, I would run a video to accompany the DJ sets that I would broadcast to YouTube, Facebook, Twitch etc.  I tried several different methods to get that to play on a media prim (in fact the one that I am trying to use now behind the DJs) but it never quite worked.  It seems like you can stream "finalized" videos from YouTube, but you can't quite get live video streams.  That would certainly have solved the problem though.

If you know of way to do this...hook a brother up because I fought with it for a couple weeks before I threw in the towel

Just now, Candide LeMay said:

Yes both the LL viewer and the new FS version have the updated chromium browser that supports streaming. At least I've been able to watch a youtube livestream on a media prim (dunno if that's a sufficient test).

That is huge.  I personally have been using Alchemy, but I know most people seem to prefer Firestorm.  I will give it a test this evening and let you know what I find

Shibuya-Crossing.thumb.jpg.a215454565777a2e1d466dd5855b0bcf.jpg

Streaming video in SL! Live traffic camera at Shibuya Crossing in Tokyo. This is just a plain prim where I set the media URL for one face.

For Youtube streams, you want the URL in the "embed" code. That's just the video, not the whole webpage. This one is https://www.youtube.com/embed/lkIJYc4UH60.

Lots of potential here. Clubs, performances, etc. If you have your own streaming server you can set things up so that everyone sees the same thing.

Edited by animats
  • Like 1

What interests me is what streaming tech do you need on the server side for the new stuff (for example if you have your own server)? Before the recent update you had to use the ancient darwin streaming system which works so poorly. What's supported now? DASH? HLS? I can't find any details.

• 2 months later...

Hello! Thank you for this post! 
I have the last FS version and got to a parcel where there was a livestream playing. BUT it didn't play! 
What is strange, is that just 1 hour ago, I was at a friends house and we tried again in the same parcel with HIS pc and it worked just fine! 
Do you have an idea of what is happening? I have the latest version of FS (6.4.12.62831) on a windows laptop. Is there any incompatibility I should check? (codecs etc?)

When it wasn't working, was it just not working, or did the page partially load and throw an error? Check your media settings, You might have to turn off 'activate on touch' if you don't plan on touching every piece of (prim) media you intend to interact with, and of course make sure that media is on. (in your audio settings for whatever reason)

SL plays video streams for quite a while, youtube streams too. Maybe you blocked the FS plugins or your AV Software does it and don't tells you. It's however a problem of your computer.

For a mirror or camera (that's the same) you need a 2nd renderer. The viewers don't have 2nd renderers. So you need a 2nd viewer for that (your alt).

The best way to stream up a live video? I never tried that, so I don't know.

One detail: many have switched off autoplay - you need to motivate them to click the screen.

Another detail: you say everybody is far away and you like to play the stream so everybody can see better .... you know that we are in SL here and not RL yes? I'm never too far away and I can always see everything - including the colour of everyones underwear. Just saying 😁

A video screen will surely look pretty cool though. 😎

2 hours ago, Nova Convair said:

One detail: many have switched off autoplay - you need to motivate them to click the screen.

You can put both a image and media on a prim on the same face of a prim. So you can have an image with instructions on how to turn on media.

On 1/6/2021 at 5:11 PM, djchandlergrace said:

I have been scratching my head trying to figure out how to accomplish this, but I just cannot seem to figure out how.   Basically the scenario is I have a club that is rather long.  Usually DJs will be up on the stage at the DJ booth, but this is pretty far away, and anyone on the dance floor is pretty far away.  It would be great if I could have some sort of camera in front of the DJ booth that projects to a large screen behind the DJ (I also have a few TVs around the club, but I will figure out that once I tackle this).

Make a smaller club. I am still baffled as to why clubs in SL need to be massive. They can never have more than 100 guests and even that is unlikely because you have to set the avatar limit lower to make sure lag doesnt become insufferable. We have been experimenting with smaller clubs and they have a much better feel to them. They dont take up a huge space, they  dont need tons of avatars to fill them. I have become much more partial to smaller clubs instead of the big ones. With smaller i mean clubs that can still easily hold 50-60 people

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1136 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.