Can't log in after 5 SLT

Black Vortex

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1096 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

For the past few weeks, I can't seem to log into my account at night, around 5 (Pacific Time). I get this error (on Firestorm and SL's official viewer):

712af4af6fabf436f96869f72b8a307a.png

If you can't see the image: Login failed. Despite our best efforts, something unexpected has gone wrong.

Fixes I've tried:

• Clean installing Firestorm and SLV (including backing up and deleting every file I could find related to SL)
  • Flushing DNS resolver cache.
  • Logging into safe regions (like Pooley).
  • Turning off my antivirus (Windows Security) + ensuring my Firewalls (both antivirus and router) weren't blocking anything.
  • Coldbooting and powercycling my PC and router (including unplugging cables and waiting 30-2:00).

I've sent a support ticket but we all know how slow that can be, especially around this time of year with the added pandemic (nothing against them obviously). I'm hoping there's something on my end I can do and am open to trying anything.

Edit: I can log into the website just fine, as you can see.

Edit 2: I was able to log into my account through Teamviewer on someone else's PC in another country. Could this be some sort of regional issue? (I'm in Mexico)

Edited by Black Vortex

24 answers to this question

College campuses and large companies very commonly restrict bandwidth at selected times of the day to discourage people (students or employees) from using  Internet resources for playing games when they are supposed to be getting paid to work or -- in the case of colleges -- when the campus network is needed for people who are trying to study.  That can mean that it's easy to run SL or play GTA at 3:00 a.m. but not during working hours or in the early evening.  Your own access during those embargoed times can depend on exactly how much bandwidth you are using.  In SL, that can depend on your machine and its Internet connection, on the various settings in your account's Preferences, and where you are in world.  For example, setting your Maximum bandwidth setting too high and then using a large draw distance can force your graphics card to download and display a huge amount of far-off material.  Using Voice and streaming media can add to the load. 

tl;dr version:  If your ISP or your company/campus are trying to limit overuse of their resources, your personal choices in SL could make it impossible to connect at some times of day.  Someone else with lower demand might still use SL with little trouble.

Edited by Rolig Loon
typos. as always.

6 hours ago, Wondergirl216 said:

I think I have the same issue. Would you mind telling me how did you fix that problem ?

When you post in the forums about an issue, you need to understand that you are not talking to LL Support - you are talking to other residents, albeit some of whom have extensive knowledge about the ins-and-outs of the technical issues or other issues/questions that are likely to happen.  However, there are issues that involve account status or related files that can only be diagnosed and fixed by LL support.  

After you have exhausted all the things suggested by people here, you need to file a support ticket (as the poster here on this thread did - the post you quoted and put your question on was the poster saying that LL had responded to his support ticket and fixed his issue).   

Edited by MoiraKathleen
closing paren

If you are able to log in to your account at other times of the day, and were able to log in through Teamviewer, using a different PC for that,  it sounds like it might be something either with the connection from your home location to the SL servers, or something on your particular PC (though it sounds like you checked for most of the things that can cause issues on the PC). 

The time of day things is kind of weird though - is it just that's the time of day you happen to try and connect, or are you able to connect at other times of the day?   It might be something causing some type of network routing issue from your location around that time of day.   

Oh!  if you haven't done so already, restart your router (and then restart your PC) and if you can connect your PC via ethernet rather than wireless to the router, try that also. 

33 minutes ago, MoiraKathleen said:

If you are able to log in to your account at other times of the day, and were able to log in through Teamviewer, using a different PC for that,  it sounds like it might be something either with the connection from your home location to the SL servers, or something on your particular PC (though it sounds like you checked for most of the things that can cause issues on the PC). 

The time of day things is kind of weird though - is it just that's the time of day you happen to try and connect, or are you able to connect at other times of the day?   It might be something causing some type of network routing issue from your location around that time of day.   

Oh!  if you haven't done so already, restart your router (and then restart your PC) and if you can connect your PC via ethernet rather than wireless to the router, try that also. 

I've cold booted/power cycled my router and PC as an attempted fix. I use ethernet and not wireless (tried switching between them as well). Basically unplugged everything including network cables and let everything sit for 2 minutes before plugging back in. And, yes - it only seems to happen in the evenings. I logged in earlier today just fine. As a test because I was able to log in through Teamviewer in another country (lol) I downloaded a free VPN just to see if it was my home connection like you said, and I was able to log in. I turned it off, and I couldn't come back. Strangely enough, I was able to log in an alternate test account just fine. Another person in my household uses SL and she has not had any problems either. I believe this issue is account-specific, which is very strange and definitely weird.

Edit: Should also mention I've also tried switching to Google's public DNS.

Edited by Black Vortex

3 minutes ago, Black Vortex said:

I've cold booted/power cycled my router as an attempted fix. Basically unplugged everything including network cables and let everything sit for 2 minutes before plugging back in. And, yes - it only seems to happen in the evenings. I logged in earlier today just fine. As a test because I was able to log in through Teamviewer in another country (lol) I downloaded a free VPN just to see if it was my home connection like you said, and I was able to log in. I turned it off, and I couldn't come back. Strangely enough, I was able to log in an alternate test account just fine. Another person in my household uses SL and she has not had any problems either. I believe this issue is account-specific, which is very strange and definitely weird.

That is an unusual situation and the first I've heard of a login problem being related to a time of day.  It does sound like it's probably account-specific.  It sounds like you've done a good job of troubleshooting on your end.    The only other thing I can think of is to see if the failed connection is creating any kind of log file that might give an indication about what is causing the issue.  I think the viewer log files are in one of the folders for the viewer under the ....AppData/Roaming/<viewer name>  directory structure. 

Hopefully, someone else will come through this section of the forums, with more knowledge than I have, and have some additional suggestions. 

I wish you well on getting it solved - the support ticket you filed may be your best bet.

• Like 1

I'll be sifting through the logs but on first glance, I'm having trouble interpreting what I'm seeing.

2021-01-05T05:16:46Z WARNING #CoreHttp# llcorehttp/_httppolicy.cpp(434) LLCore::HttpPolicy::stageAfterCompletion : HTTP request 0000027186D890B0 failed after 0 retries.  Reason:  Timeout was reached (Easy_28)
2021-01-05T05:16:46Z WARNING # newview/llxmlrpctransaction.cpp(253) LLXMLRPCTransaction::Handler::onCompleted : LLXMLRPCTransaction error 0000001c: Timeout was reached
2021-01-05T05:16:46Z WARNING # newview/llxmlrpctransaction.cpp(255) LLXMLRPCTransaction::Handler::onCompleted : LLXMLRPCTransaction request URI: https://login.agni.lindenlab.com/cgi-bin/login.cgi
2021-01-05T05:16:46Z INFO #LLXMLRPCListener# newview/llxmlrpclistener.cpp(338) Poller::poll : login_to_simulator result from https://login.agni.lindenlab.com/cgi-bin/login.cgi: status CURLError, errorcode OPERATION_TIMEDOUT (Despite our best efforts, something unexpected has gone wrong.

Please check https://secondlife-status.statuspage.io to see if there is a known problem with the service.
If you continue to experience problems, please check your network and firewall setup.)
2021-01-05T05:16:46Z INFO #LLStartup# newview/llstartup.cpp(1677) idle_startup : Login failed, LLLoginInstance::getResponse(): {'errorcode':'OPERATION_TIMEDOUT','message':'Despite our best efforts, something unexpected has gone wrong.\n\nPlease check https://secondlife-status.statuspage.io to see if there is a known problem with the service.\nIf you continue to experience problems, please check your network and firewall setup.','reason':'CURLError'}
2021-01-05T05:16:46Z INFO #LLStartup# newview/llstartup.cpp(1802) idle_startup : Notification: {'ERROR_MESSAGE':'Login failed.\nDespite our best efforts, something unexpected has gone wrong.\n\nPlease check https://secondlife-status.statuspage.io to see if there is a known problem with the service.\nIf you continue to experience problems, please check your network and firewall setup.'}
2021-01-05T05:16:46Z WARNING # newview/lltoastalertpanel.cpp(182) LLToastAlertPanel::LLToastAlertPanel : Alert: Login failed.

Thank you for trying to help, Moira. This appears to be kind of out there as far as technical issues go. 

Interesting. From those messages, the connection to the login URL, the first connection you make to SL at startup, timed out.

When you can't get SL to connect, try to connect to "login.agni.lindenlab.com" with a browser. You should get "FORBIDDEN", because you're not sending a username and password. If that times out, it's not anything viewer-related.

• Thanks 1

I am wondering if has something to do with your ISP...maybe they're throttling data in the evenings, when everyone's trying to stream Netflix?

If you can, try an evening login on a computer that is using a different internet provider.  If successful, that would indicate it's the ISP rather than something to do with your SL account.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, animats said:

When you can't get SL to connect, try to connect to "login.agni.lindenlab.com" with a browser. You should get "FORBIDDEN", because you're not sending a username and password. If that times out, it's not anything viewer-related.

I'm not sure that is accurate anymore -- maybe due to changeover to AWS.  I'm successfully logged in on two viewers, but 3 different browsers all time out trying to get to that address.

19 hours ago, Black Vortex said:

Edit 2: I was able to log into my account through Teamviewer on someone else's PC in another country. Could this be some sort of regional issue? (I'm in Mexico)

If this was after 5:00 pm SLT, then likely that person has a different internet provider and yours truly is severely restricted traffic in the evenings.

Nothing you can do about that other than get a different ISP.

I seem to be able to log into alternate accounts as normal in the evenings - it is specifically this account that I cannot log into at night. Another person in my household can use SL just fine any time of day as well. 

I decided to stay logged in from noon to see what happens and I haven't been logged/kicked out yet.

21 minutes ago, Black Vortex said:

I seem to be able to log into alternate accounts as normal in the evenings - it is specifically this account that I cannot log into at night. Another person in my household can use SL just fine any time of day as well. 

I decided to stay logged in from noon to see what happens and I haven't been logged/kicked out yet.

Totally odd.  Good you haven't been kicked out, but still totally odd that only one account cannot get in at night.

Interesting. I tried to log in around noon today and was hit with the error. I'm assuming it isn't limited to evenings anymore and is random? I did, however, try multiple times from 'last location' and 'home' and it finally let me in from 'home' but I got the error (not verbatim) your home isn't available, you should set a new home location. I logged in about 2 or 3 meters from my home point.

After two hours of frustration trying to log in tonight to do something important, I noticed that with every consecutive attempt to log in, the progress bar continues on from the last point. So if I started trying to log in at the beginning, 30 attempts later and the bar is almost halfway there. I guess I'll continue to spam and see what happens. 

In the meantime - here is the full log from the official viewer if anyone wants to take a shot at helping me.

11 minutes ago, Black Vortex said:

UPDATE

Turns out - it was inventory corruption. LL had to run a script on my account for when I logged in and the cache needed to be cleared to sort out the corrupted items.

I appreciate all of the help everyone had to offer!

Thanks for the update, and I'm glad you were able to get it resolved!

• Like 1

On 1/25/2021 at 5:32 AM, Wondergirl216 said:

I think I have the same issue. Would you mind telling me how did you fix that problem ?

If you can't login at all, then it is a support ticket thing, which is what Black did. If you can login some times... you may be able to self fix.

One thing that does this is a flat inventory with more than 3k to 5k items in a folder. When the problem kicks in depends on you computer, connection, and how busy the SL back-end is at the time. Your location in the real world determines you local peak use of the net, which may affect your connection quality and add to the problem.

So, put items into folders to reduce the item count in any one folder to below 3k and I recommend less than 1k. No single folder any where in inventory should have more then 1k items, IMO.

Inventory corruption is very rare these days as SL changed over to the http protocol for asset loading. It has error correction. So how Black got inventory corrupted is unknown. Presumably something on the SL side corrupted too requiring a Linden fix. I have not heard of that type of corruption happening. It has always been on the client side.

Another thing that messes up login intermittently is Favorite Regions. These days that is rare too. But it is easy to check. In your places panel take all your favorite places and put them in a folder emptying your Favorites bar. If that move solves your login issues for 2 or 3 logins then start checking your LMs. Otherwise you can just copy them back to the Favorites.

If the Favorites seem to be the problem, use the LMs from the folder you stashed them in. Go to each place. If the LM works, yay add it back to the Favorites. Only that one. When you logon next and things are OK then do another. If this is the problem one of them is going to mess up. Delete it and then make a new LM for that place. How these get messed up or why they mess up login... I don't know. Bit, I've been there and experienced that.

The most common cause for this type of problem is your connection to SL. It wasn't Black's problem. However, checking your connection before tearing you computer apart and reinstalling with cache clears saves a lot of time. Try Troubleshoot Your #SL Connection. You may have a good Internet connection to the rest of the world and a lousy connection to SL. Testing your connection does not requires changes to your system or viewer.

5 hours ago, melissa46 said:

Would you mind telling me how did you fix that problem ? Please...

Reading is a wonderful ability to have and to use:

On 1/11/2021 at 2:33 PM, Black Vortex said:

UPDATE

Turns out - it was inventory corruption. LL had to run a script on my account for when I logged in and the cache needed to be cleared to sort out the corrupted items.

On 4/19/2021 at 4:52 AM, melissa46 said:

Would you mind telling me how did you fix that problem ? Please...

As the above posts said, submit a support ticket to LL. You can find that by clicking the Support link at the very bottom of this page.

On 1/12/2021 at 5:33 AM, Black Vortex said:

UPDATE

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1096 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.