I Am Blue

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1203 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

No, not depressed, but I have turned blue in SL.

This started happening after I installed the Alchemy Viewer, which is a great Viewer where search is not broken -- just so I could find some customers and parcels. Search has been broken for more than two weeks.

Then it turned everything blue. Or maybe it's unrelated? I uninstalled, and when I logged on today, first I was a cloud, and after multiple tries to reinstall in a clean version, delete settings.xml, clear cache etc. now I am blue like that movie "Avatar".

I wouldn't mind being blue -- except everything else is blue or off hue as well. For example the first sign of trouble is that the SL logo itself is yellow as you log on.

"Can't create inventory" is an issue as well, and I bought several things that did not arrive despite debits and re-deliveries didn't work -- and more "can't create inventory".

"An object that has caused problems" etc. errors on some sims.

Relogged a bunch of times, with some of the times only half my inventory showing up.

So it's rocky sailing today in SL. I wonder at which point there will be a status report confirming this.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Prokofy Neva said:

No, not depressed, but I have turned blue in SL.

This started happening after I installed the Alchemy Viewer, which is a great Viewer where search is not broken -- just so I could find some customers and parcels. Search has been broken for more than two weeks.

Then it turned everything blue. Or maybe it's unrelated? I uninstalled, and when I logged on today, first I was a cloud, and after multiple tries to reinstall in a clean version, delete settings.xml, clear cache etc. now I am blue like that movie "Avatar".

I wouldn't mind being blue -- except everything else is blue or off hue as well. For example the first sign of trouble is that the SL logo itself is yellow as you log on.

"Can't create inventory" is an issue as well, and I bought several things that did not arrive despite debits and re-deliveries didn't work -- and more "can't create inventory".

"An object that has caused problems" etc. errors on some sims.

Relogged a bunch of times, with some of the times only half my inventory showing up.

So it's rocky sailing today in SL. I wonder at which point there will be a status report confirming this.

Yes, this literally just appeared, from my lips to God's ear:

https://status.secondlifegrid.net/incidents/q0rm976cfdgz

3 minutes ago, RowanMinx said:

There are also several thread about blue SL in the answers section I believe.  Some graphics driver update?  You'd have to check that sub forum.

Yeah, I got the advice about the graphics drivers but I don't believe that's the issue. This one is for AMD and I have Radeon, but the point is, whenever someone tells me it's graphics drivers, I look and it says Windows has already put in the most up to date driver, and I don't want to struggle to find the old one and re-deploy it -- because "roll back" is greyed out on my computer as on many people's.

I really don't think it's suddenly an issue with EVERYONE's graphics drivers. It's an issue within SL's software -- gasp, can it be true, yes it can.

Yes, sometimes when these claims of driver issues happen I either roll back all of Windows itself, or I go to the driver manufacturer's site and get whatever they have on offer which Windows won't tell you, and this has always either made no difference or made it worse.

So I'll wait until the Lindens fix their software, as it is broken -- and on a number of fronts.

• Haha 2

Here's what someone put in one of my groups. It is totally unverified as I see no reference to anything like this and it seems rather unlikely:

Linden Labs has had an issue with one of their servers (it literally set on fire) they are currently trying to back information up. As such, for now do not purchase linden,s rez anything in world or attempt to purchase anything as you may get "Cannot create inventory" error.  Updates will be given and info is being shared in the Discord and you can always check out LL official Status update (though they be slow today updating it) https://status.secondlifegrid.net/

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Prokofy Neva said:

Yeah, I got the advice about the graphics drivers but I don't believe that's the issue. This one is for AMD and I have Radeon, but the point is, whenever someone tells me it's graphics drivers, I look and it says Windows has already put in the most up to date driver, and I don't want to struggle to find the old one and re-deploy it -- because "roll back" is greyed out on my computer as on many people's.

I really don't think it's suddenly an issue with EVERYONE's graphics drivers. It's an issue within SL's software -- gasp, can it be true, yes it can.

Yes, sometimes when these claims of driver issues happen I either roll back all of Windows itself, or I go to the driver manufacturer's site and get whatever they have on offer which Windows won't tell you, and this has always either made no difference or made it worse.

So I'll wait until the Lindens fix their software, as it is broken -- and on a number of fronts.

The driver that Windows offers is a point driver, it is not the most up to date, it's the one they offer that they 'think' will give you less problems. You are better off installing the latest driver from AMD or Nvidia directly in most cases.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Gage Wirefly said:

The driver that Windows offers is a point driver, it is not the most up to date

Agreed, it's often the one they have "approved", and I recently found that after a Windows 10 update that broke the graphics driver (code 43) I was not allowed to re-install the known working driver from CD to the C drive, I had to fiddle it by choosing a different disk and then pointing the Device manager "update driver" to this new location.

3 hours ago, Prokofy Neva said:

Everything is tinted blue - Technical - Second Life Community  AMD Radeon graphics cards are what is posted about.  

• Like 3

Unless on Linux and using DKMS or Distro specific repositories (which often have them built against the OS/Distro), your GPU Manufacturer will always have the most up to date version of the drivers available and you should be getting them there - not from Microsoft or Apple.

• Thanks 2

23 minutes ago, RowanMinx said:

And from what some people were saying, it was the update that had the bug.  

https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/BUG-229727)

Which still places the issue on the driver side.

Either way, it's the drivers. Wouldn't be the first time a newer driver has broken something or behaves in an unexpected manner.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So FWIW, in case anyone can duplicate this experience, after a fruitless half hour trying to find the previous AMD Radeon driver (turns out that is in fact the brand I had), I went to their support, go the device that detects your driver and suggests updates, and got two proposals, one dated 11/18/20. I don't think I had that one; or actually I think I had the other one called "optional". So I went to install the 11/18/20. Now the colours are back to normal.

I really don't think this is an issue solely located in AMD's driver because if that were the case, why isn't everything on my computer blue, all YouTubes, any kind of graphics anywhere? Only SL was blue.

And no, contrary to the forum know-it-alls, you should not get the updates always from the graphics card instead of Windows. They may not work with SL; they make make your computer worse. I have found that to be the case. 

The current Concierge advice re: the blueness is to ROLL BACK to the previous driver. So there. 

Edited by Prokofy Neva
  • Haha 3

Ah yes, so because only one program was affected and not your entire computer that means it has to be the program itself that is at fault ....

No.

Driver updates can and do occasionally cause issues with installed programs, sometimes only with a singular program at that. That's just reality there.

If the current, up to date driver causes issues of course you'd be advised to roll back to the last stable version. That is normal.

Cripes .... 

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Solar Legion said:

Unless on Linux and using DKMS or Distro specific repositories (which often have them built against the OS/Distro), your GPU Manufacturer will always have the most up to date version of the drivers available and you should be getting them there - not from Microsoft or Apple.

Apple graphics drivers and updates come from Apple through software update, not the graphics manufacturers' websites.

1 minute ago, Lyssa Greymoon said:

Apple graphics drivers and updates come from Apple through software update, not the graphics manufacturers' websites.

Lovely. One more reason to avoid them like the plague. The end user should always have the ability to use current drivers as they are released.

Edited by Solar Legion
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Solar Legion said:

Ah yes, so because only one program was affected and not your entire computer that means it has to be the program itself that is at fault ....

No.

Driver updates can and do occasionally cause issues with installed programs, sometimes only with a singular program at that. That's just reality there.

If the current, up to date driver causes issues of course you'd be advised to roll back to the last stable version. That is normal.

Cripes .... 

And...that didn't work. Derp! So I rolled forward, which worked. Go back to making those...lists of yours.

• Haha 2

While the version might have been newer to you it was not the newest version of the drivers and is still counted as having rolled back.

To put it in simpler terms: 20.12.1 is the current version of the AMD Radeon GPU driver suite. It is not working correctly and the advice is to roll back to the last, stable release. This is not telling you to roll back to the last version you had installed - that would have been specified had such been the intent.

It really does not matter what you say or how you phrase it - the advice given to you was correct. You chose to take it as meaning something other than what was being advised - that is on you.

Unless given a specific driver version to install as a suggestion from tech support, do not assume the version you originally had installed before your update was anywhere close to the last stable version.

Edited by Solar Legion
  • Thanks 2

34 minutes ago, Solar Legion said:

Lovely. One more reason to avoid them like the plague. The end user should always have the ability to use current drivers as they are released.

Mac users get them as soon as they're released. Hands up Mac users wondering why your AMD GPUs are rendering everything in SL blue for the holidays.

I think I'll be sticking with my ASUS GeForce and the NVidia GeForce Experience software since that notifies me of any driver updates. It makes life so much more pleasant and I rarely, if ever, have any graphics issues. No blue graphics for me!  😉

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/geforce-experience/

Edited by Silent Mistwalker
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

since that notifies me of any driver updates

These two software, Intel Driver and Support Assistant, and the Geforce Experience, have been a blessing for sure.  I recall a time when I wondered if Windows 10 would "allow" me to use their drivers instead of the Windows 10 forced drivers... but I've never missed an update on either within days of release.  

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1203 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.