Is there a way to save IMs before formatting a computer? (not email)

lUlzzangl

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1200 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hello, I would like to format my pc, but I don't want to lose all the SL chats that I have saved, I did not  send them to my email but they must be saved on my pc, is there a way to extract them so that they reappear when i reinstall SL and when opening an IM can i still see them?... i use firestorm viewver

3 answers to this question

5 minutes ago, lUlzzangl said:

Hello, I would like to format my pc, but I don't want to lose all the SL chats that I have saved, I did not  send them to my email but they must be saved on my pc, is there a way to extract them so that they reappear when i reinstall SL and when opening an IM can i still see them?... i use firestorm viewver

%APPDATA%\Roaming\Firestorm_x64 - there wil be a folder for each avatar name

After re-installing Firestorm, you'll need to start the application and log in an avatar -- that will create the new folder for the avatar.  Then log out and copy all of the old files into the newly created folder.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 2

Yes, you can rescue and save old chat and IM logs, as LittleMe describes. They might be in a different folder than LittleMe said, if you have changed that in your Preferences. If you have trouble finding them, here are some tips.

The folder APPDATA is hidden by default.  If you don't see it under C:\Users\(YourWindowsUserName), type Show Hidden Files in the Windows search bar and in Settings, change this setting in the File Explorer section.

If you have changed the location of your log files, open your viewer, go to Preferences, and find the directory you've been saving them in.  Or, in Windows Search, type chat.txt and it will find your log file(s).

In the log folder, there's a subfolder for each of your SL avatar accounts.  Inside those are your IM log files for that avatar, each with the name of a person or group you've spoken with.  The local chat file is named chat.txt

Once you've reinstalled Windows and your viewer software, you can now point your viewer to wherever you saved the old files, or (manually) move them all back into the APPDATA folder where it's expecting to find them, or create an entirely new chat log folder and point your viewer to that.

Edited by Lindal Kidd
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, lUlzzangl said:

If by format your PC, you mean you will be re-formatting your hard drive - or some other process which may overwrite/delete files on your hard drive - you will want to move or copy your IM log files into a folder on a cloud storage area drive (such as One Drive or dropbox, or some other cloud storage area you have access to, or onto a CD or USB drive)  using the information from Lindal's post about how to find the IM log files, prior to starting the format process.

After you've finished the format process, you can move them back onto your hard drive and get your viewer pointing to them again, following the information provided by Lindal and LittleMe. 

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1200 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.