Hangout places for adults that are NOT sex related?

On 1/3/2021 at 5:07 PM, ChibiDragon007 said:

I do currently have a parcel with my own personal skybox at the moment, but I have been considering converting it to the hangout type space I've been describing. I would just need people to staff the place and raise funds for some extra decor, furniture, etc.

*waves hello in ace*
I actually came to SL because some folks in my religion started a church here, and I was curious what that looked like. Right now, I rent a parcel on the adjoining sim. It's pretty quiet there, and I know there are people who aren't affiliated with the group who use the Library of World Religions to just hang out and visit. You might check out some of the other in-world libraries, too. An ace-specific space would also be neat to see. I don't know of any.

• Like 1
  • Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Eat at Joe's. My little cafe in Zindra, at the corner of Charlesville and Kama Center. Free 20 minute parking out back. Well lit at night. I sometimes meet people here to talk business. I have so

Come and hang out at Mount Campion National Forest.  We have a huge natural area of forests, canyons, trails, and caves in a high alpine setting.  The community is great too, there are events and usua

There are actually a fair number of places that cater to non-sexual socialization, but they can be difficult to find. A lot of the ones I use are clubs -- the fact that they involve dancing and music

Posted Images

Regardless of its purpose, any space in SL is as good as its staffing. Someone has to be the anchor that keeps bringing folk back. Someone to interact with new arrivals to make them feel welcome to join in. "Hi <person>! welcome to <place>. Have a seat, we were talking about <topic>." and continuing to welcome them when and if they come back.

It also takes being there day after day, even if it's for just a couple hours to keep things spinning smoothly. Eventually, it will gain its own momentum but still requires that anchor to hop on and give it a few kicks to keep that momentum going. Like a merry-go-round.

• Like 3
10 hours ago, Roxy Couturier said:

Regardless of its purpose, any space in SL is as good as its staffing. Someone has to be the anchor that keeps bringing folk back. Someone to interact with new arrivals to make them feel welcome to join in. "Hi <person>! welcome to <place>. Have a seat, we were talking about <topic>." and continuing to welcome them when and if they come back.

It also takes being there day after day, even if it's for just a couple hours to keep things spinning smoothly. Eventually, it will gain its own momentum but still requires that anchor to hop on and give it a few kicks to keep that momentum going. Like a merry-go-round.

I think this is true. In the "olden days," popular chat spots seemed sometimes to pop up almost spontaneously, but I think they require more work now.

I have a friend who DJs regularly every Friday night. He's by himself, without a host, and he takes his role as as entertainer and what Roxy calls "anchor" very seriously. He gets to know the name of nearly everyone who comes by, along with interesting and pertinent details about them that demonstrate that he actually cares about his audience. He restricts his chatter to text rather than voice-over, and works hard to keep conversations going. And he sort of "spreads himself out" on the dance floor, undertaking to dance with women who are by themselves and not dancing.

The result is that he's built up a really lovely little community of people who are no longer coming just for him, or his music, but for the community. (And, he has a small flock of absolutely smitten women trailing after him, I think -- a side benefit of his approach?)

• Like 3
On 1/1/2021 at 2:08 PM, animats said:

animatscafe.thumb.jpg.1deef3e5a83c13748754e1058a3379e9.jpg

Eat at Joe's. My little cafe in Zindra, at the corner of Charlesville and Kama Center. Free 20 minute parking out back. Well lit at night. I sometimes meet people here to talk business.

I have some demo NPCs moving through there. They'll say hello when you show up, to be polite, and then go on with what they're doing. So the place looks busy.

Linden Lab has a nice outdoor cafe about 100m away, in Bronlen, in a Linden park. Bronlen also has a 24-hour co-working space and cafeteria and a tiny cafe with a jukebox.

SL has no shortage of little places to hang out.

image.thumb.png.fcd91b5e0ca52c922562cb5d95dd01d2.png

I searched on Charlesville, found one hit, and looked about from there. Found Kama Park, and a large Strip Fashion store, but even after looking about for a while I could not find your place. I find it almost impossible to find anything in SL by exploring, flying is too fast and I just go higher and higher, and running is too slow, given how spread out and poorly organized everything is.

• Like 1
On 1/3/2021 at 10:23 AM, Mar Scarmon said:

Come and hang out at Mount Campion National Forest.  We have a huge natural area of forests, canyons, trails, and caves in a high alpine setting.  The community is great too, there are events and usually a number of people exploring with you.  There are numerous public hang out spots.  http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Campion/152/95/303

Mount Campion National Forest c.jpg

Defs not a hangout place, zero people, but wow, really nicely done! Huge, lots of trails like in a real state park, nice detail, great ambient sounds. Very peaceful! Of course, usual SL frustrations apply, at least for me: lag and delayed texture loading, but that seems to be everywhere and always in SL. Oh, and I fell in a hole on a trail, lol.

However, I LM'd it and will definitely go back and visit again!

37 minutes ago, CaerolleClaudel said:

I searched on Charlesville, found one hit, and looked about from there. Found Kama Park, and a large Strip Fashion store, but even after looking about for a while I could not find your place. I find it almost impossible to find anything in SL by exploring, flying is too fast and I just go higher and higher, and running is too slow, given how spread out and poorly organized everything is.

I'm at Kama Center now, flying and using area search, and I've got to admit, I'm not finding it either.

I DID find a giant glowing animated statue of a woman having . . . well, nvm what she was having. I can only assume that she was enjoying it.

Gosh, Zindra, I've missed you . . .

• Haha 1
48 minutes ago, CaerolleClaudel said:

Found it. And was immediately accosted by an animesh greeter!

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Vallone/245/24/36

• Like 1

So, here I am at Eat at Joe's . . . wondering why Cindy and Michelle can't seem to remember that they've already said "hi" to me about a half dozen times . . .

1716960566_Eat-at-Joes-1-Blank.thumb.png.a74c7f407eb6019ec349b9ebfd36644f.png

And here I am, after I've stood up and discovered that the table and beer bottles are all set to "physical." After knocking over my table, I flailed about in a bit of a panic, and managed to knock all of the other tables over as well.

Sorry @animats! Sorry Cindy and Michelle . . .

557207366_Eat-at-Joes-2-Blank.thumb.png.89587e693572462f323114ffc6c5f869.png

• Haha 2
32 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

After knocking over my table, I flailed about in a bit of a panic, and managed to knock all of the other tables over as well.

Well, now we know why the beer bottles were empty, lol. :)

Funny, was thinking of you early, have something to run by you...

I can understand wanting a place as you describe to hang out. There are many places like that in SL that aren't adult rated. If you're simply looking for a nice place to have a quiet chat without adult themes, there really is no need for it to be on adult land. Plus as others have mentioned, child avatars are still allowed on adult land as long as they are following the TOS unless otherwise stated by the owner of said land.

I've found many quaint communities that provide the type of atmosphere you seek depending on your interests. There are libraries that have daily book readings and discussions. There are places where people come together to share their stories, songs, poetry, etc. Perhaps I've just been fortunate enough to find two long time social and religious communities that fit my needs to be part of in the eleven years I've been in SL.

I wish you all the luck in your search or creation of what you seek. There are many wonderful communities out there to explore.

Edited by Dafadilia Wayfarer
  • Like 2

Yes, like Dafadilia said, there are SO MANY non sexual sims in SL, just not many go to them. A good idea is to do a flash mob, announce a sim and a day for people to go to it. Since time zones are so different, it can be an all day thing or even over 2 days. A bunch of people go, mingle, explore the sim and have fun!

• Like 2
On 1/9/2021 at 12:48 AM, Roxy Couturier said:

I think this depends on what a user is looking for. If it is stimulating conversation, then yes, they will need staff/patrons to talk to.

If it is ammenities or game/story immersion, then how developed or advanced the content, NPCs and/or environment is might matter more.