Clear My Cache

MsAfrodite

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1211 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello,

I use the FireStorm Viewer and I it's been at least 3 yrs since I've been gone from SL. Can anyone tell me how I would clear my cache?  I am noticing a LOT of lag time when I am changing up my Avatar (Skin, shape, clothes, etc.) I am not using many if any appliers since I've gone BOM. Even within my Maitreya HUD nothing responds or when it does it takes a while for the change to occur. I just emptied my trash but again, I can't remember how to clear the cache. 

Any help and/or advice is appreciated. 

The Lab increased the max-size of the viewer's cache. Now up to 10GB. Recommendations for viewer performance include having as large a cache as possible.

Computer search technology has improved. Notice the info line at the top of Google's search results. You'll see something like 'About 3,540,000,000 results (0.70 seconds)'. The viewer is searching through way less data for fewer items. 

Viewers use an indexed cache. Once upon a time they depended on the Windows/Mac operating system to find files. THAT was slow and clearing cache to keep it small made the viewer faster. Back then file corruption was a problem too. Those were the days when everyone was told to clear their viewer's cache frequently and as a first trouble shooting technique. That is NOT the case now. With error correcting HTTP transfer of SL content file corruption is extremely rare. Along with the indexing the viewer cache can be larger and faster with fewer problems. Now clearing cache is a last resort troubleshooting step.

There currently is an RC Viewer with a new caching system. Its cache works better than current viewers' caches. 

When the cache is cleared everything has to be downloaded. This places a load on the SL system's backend, which creates lag for everyone and especially you. 

• Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1211 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.