Snooping Friends!

Liramaril

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1208 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

4 hours ago, Rat Luv said:

I used to have a sound gesture of the SL camera noise. I know it's bad, but I couldn't resist triggering it sometimes ;) It was surprising how many people would get uptight about it, lol. 

People get pissed in Rl too. I was shooting a documentary film in RL once of an event that lasted several days, and had people really pissed when I came close with the cam. I'll never forget this one lady who was really upset at me, and told me to get away in no uncertain terms, and I did. Then 2 days later she said  "Mr. Cameraman, when can I be on film"?. I replied: "never".

To make it clear though, my career is not in cinematography. It is just something I have been involved with in the past.

Edited by Bagnu
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Janet Voxel said:

So in a lively local chat it snaps from person to person? That must be really annoying!

A lot of people have theirs set to not broadcast and the others may be looking elsewhere or doing something else with their cursor so chances are, not everyone's crosshairs will be on the speaker.  In fact, I rarely see those grey shades on people.  

1 minute ago, RowanMinx said:

A lot of people have theirs set to not broadcast and the others may be looking elsewhere or doing something else with their cursor so chances are, not everyone's crosshairs will be on the speaker.  In fact, I rarely see those grey shades on people.  

I guess it depends on where you hang out. Because I see it all the time! I mean a lot of them.

6 minutes ago, Janet Voxel said:

I guess it depends on where you hang out. Because I see it all the time! I mean a lot of them.

Then I'd guess all those grey crosshairs are mostly idle avatars.  I know even if I'm standing somewhere, my cursor is moving around doing something as are most people at their keyboards.  Either in IM so my cursor is active there or looking around at people.  It's when someone is idle/afk or in another window/discord, that you mostly see the grey crosshairs.  At least, that's been my observation.

I think it's enabled by default on firestorm or used to be.

Edited by RowanMinx

23 minutes ago, Bagnu said:

People get pissed in Rl too. I was shooting a documentary film in RL once of an event that lasted several days, and had people really pissed when I came close with the cam. I'll never forget this one lady who was really upset at me, and told me to get away in no uncertain terms, and I did. Then 2 days later she said  "Mr. Cameraman, when can I be on film"?. I replied: "never".

To make it clear though, my career is not in cinematography. It is just something I have been involved with in the past.

I always thought you needed peoples permission to film them, but with cell phones and people shaming I guess there are no rules anymore.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Liramaril said:

ohh nice! now how do I turn off people seeing whst I inspect/edit too... what viewer do you use?

That would probably be show particle/selection beam..I know it's somewhere in preferences on firestorm and the tools menu on LL viewer?

Show Selection Beam - Shows / hides a particle beam that appears when an item is selected

26 minutes ago, Bagnu said:

I'll never forget this one lady who was really upset at me, and told me to get away in no uncertain terms, and I did. Then 2 days later she said  "Mr. Cameraman, when can I be on film"?. I replied: "never".

Weird turnaround! Maybe she was caught off guard on the first day and felt insecure...but no need for her to be nasty about it.

• Like 1

Just now, Tarina Sewell said:

I always thought you needed peoples permission to film them, but with cell phones and people shaming I guess there are no rules anymore.

It's not  being on cam that's the issue, it's needing permission to show it. I was there to document the event, and the footage was not for personal use. In that particular setting, it was appropriate. I was simply filming the event for the producer. He is responsible for anything beyond that. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tarina Sewell said:

I think the (UK) law says that if you're in a public space, you accept that there's a reasonable chance of you being filmed. 

1 minute ago, Rat Luv said:

I think the (UK) law says that if you're in a public space, you accept that there's a reasonable chance of you being filmed. 

This was a University of Toronto orientation that I was filming.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Rat Luv said:

Weird turnaround! Maybe she was caught off guard on the first day and felt insecure...but no need for her to be nasty about it.

It's not that weird. I find it takes people a bit of time to get used to someone taking film or pics. She was just nastier than most.

• Like 1

Just now, Bagnu said:

This was a University of Toronto orientation that I was filming.

Ah OK. I'm not sure...I'd guess it'd be something similar though? Otherwise, you'd have crowd shots at music and sports events and somebody could sue because they were shown without consent? 

Seriously though, it's a U of T orientation. It's not like people would ever see it again. It was shown there for three nights, and the people who came to see it were a part of the experience.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rat Luv said:

In the UK, photographers have the right to take photographs of anything in the public space, despite what some police would have people believe.

However, there are some serious pitfalls ahead when it comes to publishing those photographs, and it can get quite complicated when deciding what needs permission and what doesn't.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Bagnu said:

Something similar (but rather the opposite) happened to me, years ago. I was walking through my city railway station and noticed that there were a lot of police officers around. Then someone ran past me, bumped into me, with a couple of coppers in pursuit. I wondered what was going on.

Then a man approached me, asked me if I was okay (I said yes) and he explained that they were filming a TV drama show, and wanted to know if I would agree to the shot being used, if they decided to use that particular take. I agreed, and wished them good luck. Six months later I saw the show on TV - they did use the take with me in it, but I was seen only from behind - getting jostled and then standing there looking perfectly bewildered about what just happened.

They say everyone gets 15 minutes of fame. I have 14 minutes and 50 seconds still to go.

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

19 hours ago, Rat Luv said:

This is the law in the United States, my understanding is that if you are anywhere in a virtual world you have given consent to have your avi photographed. 

• Like 1

When in doubt, do the research.

(b) Avatar Consent for Machinima

For machinima, you must have the consent of all Residents whose avatars or Second Life names are featured or recognizable in the machinima. This includes avatars who are featured in a shot, avatars whose names are legible, and avatars whose appearance is sufficiently distinctive that they are recognizable by members of the Second Life community. Consent is not required if an avatar is not recognizable and is merely part of a crowd scene or shown in a fleeting background. Consent is not required for any snapshots.

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Lab_Official:Snapshot_and_machinima_policy

10 hours ago, Talligurl said:

This is the law in the United States, my understanding is that if you are anywhere in a virtual world you have given consent to have your avi photographed. 

Your RL avatar is protected by law. Your SL avatar is not. Don't confuse this two avatars. 😁
There is no photographing in SL - that's screenshots of a "game" avatar.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1208 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.