Forest/woodland themed regions?

Cecilia Dallas

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1197 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

On 12/30/2020 at 8:38 PM, BastetsDaughter said:

What area/regions feature forest/woodland type theming? Seeking that sort of vibe for a parcel. Sorry for the newbie question :)

On 12/30/2020 at 8:48 PM, Alwin Alcott said:

mainland itself is not landscaped, if you look for themed you will have to look in the rental sections.

This answer is just so not right, sorry...

Let's fix it.

Mainland itself is landscaped. IF the private landowners landscaped their parcels, and IF Lindens built some public place in certain regions, which are mostly roads, and some landmark builds. We can say, most of Mainland is not landscaped, though, mostly due to the abandoned lands and owned but not landscaped lands. In fact, there is a Linden-made park on the Sansara continent, in Kerchal. There is a road going through the region, and the rest of the land is decorated with trees. Not an esthetical marvel with today's standards, but it is woodland, and on Mainland.

You can go there and take a look around:

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Kerchal/222/121/61

If you explore the area North of Kerchal, you can find much more woodland themed areas. Those are owned and built by residents, so it's not guaranteed they'll stay like that forever, while the Kerchal Park is a stable landmark. The East River area - you can follow the road from Ontario to Mowry, then turn right and continue Northeast to Coniston - is full of woodland/forest themed builds, there are rentals available by some of the landowners, and you can sometimes also find parcels for sale, which you can then also turn into a nice woodland themed land if you want.

Now that we corrected the Mainland-related answer, it's important to know about the Bellisseria continent, which isn't Mainland, but the Linden Homes 2 estate, where the parcels are available to Premium members (if you want to own land on Mainland, you have to be Premium as well) for free. It is a vast continent already, and most of it is woodland themed, so maybe that's what you're looking for. I'll just grab a few SLURLs from the map to point at the public areas of a few of these regions, so you can take a look:

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Leighover/131/129/34

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Red Hook/119/186/34

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Timpson/246/177/34

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Palmer Lake/81/124/34

And if it isn't exactly what you're looking for, or you're not Premium and don't want to be, there's still the rental option that Alwin mentioned. For that, there are a LOT of private estates with woodland themes, and also the East River area on Sansara I mentioned above, and you can find other areas on other Mainland continents with rentals, in a woodland setting.

Kerchal Park viewed from the parcels for sale in Alice:

image.thumb.png.44e1934b9c9085c4f6fc2883b204fec7.png

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, AlettaMondragon said:

This answer is just so not right, sorry...

Let's fix it.

Mainland itself is landscaped.

you'r wrong, the mainland that you can BUY is NOT landscaped, it's only TERRAFORMED, there is some landscaping, at public regions, that is NOT what is meant as being mainland when people talk about buy and rent.

Now that we corrected the Mainland-related answer,

it's not corrected, you gave wrong information.
better fix your post.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Alwin Alcott said:

you'r wrong, the mainland that you can BUY is NOT landscaped, it's only TERRAFORMED, there is some landscaping, at public regions, that is NOT what is meant as being mainland when people talk about buy and rent.

better fix your post.

Read her question again. She wanted to know where to find woodland themed areas. It has nothing to do with pre-landscaped parcels for sale. And my answer includes pre-landscaped parcels for rent on Mainland, yours didn't. There are 3 parcels for sale in Alice right next to the park in Kerchal, too. A lazy answer is not the best answer, and trying to compensate it with bolding and CAPS won't do anything else but entertain me. :) 

Edited by AlettaMondragon
corrected term
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Alwin Alcott said:

better fix your post.

You're correct because what is woodland today could be gone tomorrow if it's privately owned mainland.  Even where I live on horizons is "themed" yet the homes I've seen including mine aren't exactly in that theme and no one cares.  Yes, mainland has some trees, roads and such here and there but overall, landscaping is owner added and could change tomorrow on the owners whim.  The linden home areas are a different story more or less.

46 minutes ago, AlettaMondragon said:

There are 3 parcels for sale in Alice right next to the park in Kerchal, too.

And if I buy those parcels, I can take out woodlands if that is what is there and put in sand dunes and rocks.  Unless it's a region owned by someone and you just rent, people can put whatever they like down.  I can cover my ground with snow next to your beach scene if I own.  Mainland is a free for all.

2 hours ago, RowanMinx said:

You're correct because what is woodland today could be gone tomorrow if it's privately owned mainland.  Even where I live on horizons is "themed" yet the homes I've seen including mine aren't exactly in that theme and no one cares.  Yes, mainland has some trees, roads and such here and there but overall, landscaping is owner added and could change tomorrow on the owners whim.  The linden home areas are a different story more or less.

2 hours ago, RowanMinx said:

And if I buy those parcels, I can take out woodlands if that is what is there and put in sand dunes and rocks.  Unless it's a region owned by someone and you just rent, people can put whatever they like down.  I can cover my ground with snow next to your beach scene if I own.  Mainland is a free for all.

It's actually funny when people with lack of knowledge try to seem smarter. I provided a link to Kerchal so it makes it even easier to get there if it would mean any kind of trouble otherwise. Now if you do that, you'll see the whole region is Linden-owned. That park won't go anywhere. If you can get a parcel in a region next to Kerchal, bordering Kerchal, your land will be right at the park. So if anyone buys such a parcel, the most certain thing will be that on one side, their view will be the Kerchal Park. I usually stick to the facts more than the circumstances, but now I am really amused by how you and Alwin, who kind of always make sense in any topic, try to prove me wrong just because I started out by saying his answer wasn't right. It was a poor answer. It happens. That I pointed out to it, and then provided more info, won't change the actual facts. That being said, you can always build whatever you want on Mainland, with just a few limits, but that will never change the surroundings of your own parcel. If there's a Linden-built park next to your parcel, or if you get a parcel in an area where 20 regions have mostly woodland themed parcels at the time, then the theme of the area is woodlands. Not snow, not desert, and not "nothing", because the several regions with mostly woodland/park builds on them weren't done by coincidence, but because one influenced another. If you're looking for a theme, you can't only find it at places where people authoritatively force the theme, but it can exist with the contribution of independent people too, and it will form a theme. If you want to prove that isn't the case, that actually only proves that you don't drive through Kerchal, and the area north of there, or the actual trees don't rez for you while you're there. Most of the East River area on the roadsides and at the waterways is a big forest, and a year ago it was even more like so. In the future, it can be more, or less like that, depending on what people will build on their lands. I pointed out to that too, and that's why actually Belli is the way to go if someone wants to own the parcel instead of renting/leasing on a private estate, and wants to live in a woodland themed area. Since the OP asked a very simple question, all of the options might be interesting for her. I took the time to explain that all, realizing she might need the information instead of a one-liner advice to look for rentals. Of course that doesn't leave you much to do than to try to prove me wrong, since the options were already explained. Don't be lazy. Try to help.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

53 minutes ago, AlettaMondragon said:

It's....A wall of text

if it's a Linden owned park region, you can't live there.  Sure, it's a stable landmark but nothing around it would be.  What we've said is...there is no dedicated woodland areas you can buy which are sure to stay that way.  They are woodlands because the people who own the land make them so.  They may choose in 6 mths or a year to go with an old west theme.  No one said there wasn't woodland only that it's not a specifically dedicated no changie region.  As to the 3 parcels for sale in Alice next to woodlands, people can buy one and make it whatever they choose, woodland or not.  That's the beauty and bane of mainland.

Pay attention.  Anyway, I'm done with this thread

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, RowanMinx said:

if it's a Linden owned park region, you can't live there.  Sure, it's a stable landmark but nothing around it would be.  What we've said is...there is no dedicated woodland areas you can buy which are sure to stay that way.  They are woodlands because the people who own the land make them so.  They may choose in 6 mths or a year to go with an old west theme.  No one said there wasn't woodland only that it's not a specifically dedicated no changie region.  As to the 3 parcels for sale in Alice next to woodlands, people can buy one and make it whatever they choose, woodland or not.  That's the beauty and bane of mainland.

Pay attention.  Anyway, I'm done with this thread

You could've been done with it before even commenting. :D Also, pay attention:

5 hours ago, AlettaMondragon said:

If you explore the area North of Kerchal, you can find much more woodland themed areas. Those are owned and built by residents, so it's not guaranteed they'll stay like that forever, while the Kerchal Park is a stable landmark.

This was part of my answer, so whatever you guys added, wasn't new. Thank you for repeating me, though. Something's really going sideways in the interpretation of Kerchal as a woodland themed region, too. I haven't said you could live in Kerchal, I only pointed out to two things. 1, that Alwin's answer wasn't right, since there are landscaped, themed regions on Mainland in contrast to his lazy statement of "mainland itself is not landscaped". 2, The question "What area/regions feature forest/woodland type theming? Seeking that sort of vibe for a parcel." made me think about Kerchal at first, thinking of Mainland. Since she didn't say she wanted to get a parcel in the middle of said woodland she was looking for, but an area/region that features the theme, it is relevant. You can live next to the park, and open your front yard to it or blend in your land design with trees, shrubs, or even the super cute Linden pine trees. :D However, sorry for mentioning it to her, it is definitely something that she shouldn't have known of, and Alwin did the right thing to obscure the truth. Does this make you feel better?

• Like 1

On 12/30/2020 at 8:38 PM, BastetsDaughter said:

What area/regions feature forest/woodland type theming? Seeking that sort of vibe for a parcel. Sorry for the newbie question :)

Is this foresty enough?

2126394558_KeswickForest2021-01-01jpg.thumb.jpg.9d5d4a1e53fa15f4d489b879dcbac864.jpg

On 12/30/2020 at 8:48 PM, Alwin Alcott said:

mainland itself is not landscaped, if you look for themed you will have to look in the rental sections.

The problem is that any theme has to be maintained by somebody, either the estate owner or the land owner(s). On mainland LL themselves are the estate owner and they usually don't care even in the few places that have been built on a specific theme.

There are one or two areas where several land owners have managed to cooperate and maintain a consistent look but those are few and it only takes one parcel being sold to somebody who doesn't care to ruin the experience for everybody.

As for commercial landowners, well those trees use prims and those are prims you can't charge your tenants full price for and you can't charge your neighbours anything for them at all. You have to be really stupid, like me, to spend all the time and money needed to maintain a reasonably big themed area on mainland.

This picture is of my own Greater Coniston, spanning across Coniston, most of Keswick and parts of some of the neighbour sims. There are houses for rent there but not for sale of course. I was going to suggest you buy one of the neighbour parcels but there doesn't seem to be any for sale. For some weird reason this whole part of mainland transformed from a barren wasteland nobody wanted to top priced premium land shortly after I built Greater Coniston. I can't imagine why.

Edited by ChinRey
  • Like 6

Most Estate rental regions have static themes -- right up until they don't, and then often the whole region vanishes.

In contrast, most Mainland is luck of the draw and neighbors can come and go at any time. And yet some have had the same theme for more than a decade, and a few longer than Second Life has even had estates.

• Like 5

On 12/30/2020 at 7:38 PM, BastetsDaughter said:

If you are willing to settle for close to forest/woodland any region border parcel you can get in Jieut, Shiot, Bieup, Mieum, Haminda, Chieut, Nabi or Nari would be good as you will be looking out in to one of four Linden owned forest landscaped Info Hub regions. There's no guarantee they'll stay forest forever they were previously redeveloped from being almost all barren aside from the odd plant

8 minutes ago, RowanMinx said:

You're forgiven since you basically just agreed with us that land you can buy on the mainland is not landscaped nor has a dedicated theme.  😁🙄

With the exception of https://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/de haro/128/122/34 it is set out as a zoned campground theme area. Whenever i've been there the people there have kept within the original theme whether it's still enforced or not, nothing looks wildly out of place for it's campground zoning

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Claireschen Hesten said:

If you are willing to settle for close to forest/woodland any region border parcel you can get in Jieut, Shiot, Bieup, Mieum, Haminda, Chieut, Nabi or Nari would be good as you will be looking out in to one of four Linden owned forest landscaped Info Hub regions. There's no guarantee they'll stay forest forever they were previously redeveloped from being almost all barren aside from the odd plant

With the exception of https://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/de haro/128/122/34 it is set out as a zoned campground theme area. Whenever i've been there the people there have kept within the original theme whether it's still enforced or not, nothing looks wildly out of place for it's campground zoning

I love camping!  My area is themed retro space age or something like that.  Horizons.  The homes are all futuristic and the sidewalks and such have that vibe too.  However, most although not all, of the homes are not the ones provided.  People have modern glass to log cabins and everything in between.  A few place have those ugly border wall, too.  That's the thing about most mainland.  It's a free for all.  If I were looking for a dedicated "theme", I would rent on a private estate which I normally have for 10 years.  Most were green regions which I landscaped into lovely little woodland areas.  Only once did I rent a beach themed area.  Too much sand in SL.

On 12/30/2020 at 2:38 PM, BastetsDaughter said:

I make some of my rentals in the forest or in natural areas with waterfalls and pools and such. I make some areas like camping sites such as in Grote, Zephyr and Patagonia by the waterfalls. But generally people want to decorate their own lot and put up their own trees.

The Linden sims on Sansara of Rosari and Kerchai have "old growth" original Linden forests still on them and it is Linden land so it will keep. On the Moth (Heterocera) continent, the Lindens originally had all these forests and they were contemplating making the prims not count on residents' land so that they would keep them wooded. But then they didn't, so people cleared them. I hung on to the "old growth" Linden forest in Zephyr for the longest time, but the reality is, tenants didn't want Lindens trees on their land, and as other types of trees and now mesh have come in, they want to put those out. 

It's not that the answer was "wrong" because the reality is, those Linden "themed" sims with woodlands do not have parcels among those woods. There are some parcels available outside of the woods, but then, that's not wooded. So you can be "near" woods but not "in" the woods.

Edited by Prokofy Neva
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, AlettaMondragon said:

It's actually funny when people with lack of knowledge try to seem smarter. I provided a link to Kerchal so it makes it even easier to get there if it would mean any kind of trouble otherwise. Now if you do that, you'll see the whole region is Linden-owned. That park won't go anywhere. If you can get a parcel in a region next to Kerchal, bordering Kerchal, your land will be right at the park. So if anyone buys such a parcel, the most certain thing will be that on one side, their view will be the Kerchal Park. I usually stick to the facts more than the circumstances, but now I am really amused by how you and Alwin, who kind of always make sense in any topic, try to prove me wrong just because I started out by saying his answer wasn't right. It was a poor answer. It happens. That I pointed out to it, and then provided more info, won't change the actual facts. That being said, you can always build whatever you want on Mainland, with just a few limits, but that will never change the surroundings of your own parcel. If there's a Linden-built park next to your parcel, or if you get a parcel in an area where 20 regions have mostly woodland themed parcels at the time, then the theme of the area is woodlands. Not snow, not desert, and not "nothing", because the several regions with mostly woodland/park builds on them weren't done by coincidence, but because one influenced another. If you're looking for a theme, you can't only find it at places where people authoritatively force the theme, but it can exist with the contribution of independent people too, and it will form a theme. If you want to prove that isn't the case, that actually only proves that you don't drive through Kerchal, and the area north of there, or the actual trees don't rez for you while you're there. Most of the East River area on the roadsides and at the waterways is a big forest, and a year ago it was even more like so. In the future, it can be more, or less like that, depending on what people will build on their lands. I pointed out to that too, and that's why actually Belli is the way to go if someone wants to own the parcel instead of renting/leasing on a private estate, and wants to live in a woodland themed area. Since the OP asked a very simple question, all of the options might be interesting for her. I took the time to explain that all, realizing she might need the information instead of a one-liner advice to look for rentals. Of course that doesn't leave you much to do than to try to prove me wrong, since the options were already explained. Don't be lazy. Try to help.

There's never been any land for sale inside the forest in Kerchai or the forest in Rosari. They are woods that are on Linden land but you can't move into that area -- you can only be next to it. So the original statement was correct and you are just grinding a strange axe here. There's very little you can actually buy now that has that view on to Kerchai -- there have been parcels in Alice, including once roadside (not exactly woodsy!) that is going for $6.5/meter, but some parcels in Allice have sold now. There's nothing around Rosari. 

It's not "authoritarian" or "authoritative" (these words have different meanings which have escaped you) to CHOOSE to offer rentals with a woodland theme. It's a free choice. No one is required to rent there. And people can buy other land and put what they want.

Time to go back to your pods.

While it goes against many people's religion (and even mine), the place where there are a lot of wooded lots that will stay wooded, and are nicely done, is Bellissaria. It's easy to get a camp site now which is on a sim covered with woods and often ponds or rivers - if you get a premium account.

Edited by Prokofy Neva
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Prokofy Neva said:

Time to go back to your pods.

Actually, I had a great pod tour last night! How did you figure out? :P

The rest of what you said, I don't know... I'll just pick this:

8 hours ago, Prokofy Neva said:

It's not "authoritarian" or "authoritative" (these words have different meanings which have escaped you) to CHOOSE to offer rentals with a woodland theme. It's a free choice. No one is required to rent there. And people can buy other land and put what they want.

This made me laugh. It's just funny you slipped on that one word and its meaning in the sentence. I could try to reword that part of my post, or just skip the word "authoritatively" because it is not even necessary there, I just like fancy, complicated words. I bet you'd still miss the meaning, though, since the first two contenders have done their best to do so as well, and you actually like to do this on purpose. :D If anyone reads my posts without the intention to find only what doesn't match what they want to hear and be heard, it should be fairly easy to understand what I've said. As I said before, it's amazing how that little spark of starting out with saying the first answer wasn't right, caused all this havoc. This is why I usually don't do that.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 12/30/2020 at 1:38 PM, BastetsDaughter said:

Campbell Coast on Corsica Continent on Mainland is Forested.  Search for Erazor Region or Campbell Coast rental office (also lots for sale).  All have beach for navigable water through over 600 Regions and road access to the Circuit La Corse public highway and are beautifully wooded cottages and cabins in a Scottish coastal themed forest. 

Edited by BJoyful
Spelling, punctuation
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/3/2021 at 12:35 PM, BJoyful said:

Campbell Coast on Corsica Continent on Mainland is Forested.  Search for Erazor Region or Campbell Coast rental office (also lots for sale).  All have beach for navigable water through over 600 Regions and road access to the Circuit La Corse public highway and are beautifully wooded cottages and cabins in a Scottish coastal themed forest. 

I just bought 4096smq parcel in there, thanks for letting me know, I didn't know about this area and I love it!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1197 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.