Sailing the Stilts, what are your plans?

Kat Shadow

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 743 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I put a bag that you can take on my stilt, with the ERB-380 boat, that I slightly modified the textures, it has full permissions, and in the package it also has all the notes with the name of the creators and the general instructions, in addition to the original version.
I consider this boat perfect for navigating the channels between the stilts and visiting the neighbors, it only has 11 prims.
If you want on the porch there are also roasts and drinks, next to the house there is a rez area so you can already go home sailing on your boat.
Always be welcome in my home.

on here:

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Beachy Keen/239/186/23

DEZ-2020-ny_260a.thumb.jpg.a23bf30a7892045ee6eb29720c37650b.jpg

DEZ-2020-ny_260b.thumb.jpg.843ca2d3e8c7ea0811bf1682471b1edb.jpg

• Like 12
  • Thanks 10

Another vote for the Bandit here.

Not sure which model I have, would have to log in to find out but it only came out a few months ago if that.

I've been keeping it at my houseboat, but will rez a copy at the stilt. I find this quite easy to handle and animations are really good and you can do some customizing too. I have another larger sailboat (can't remember the name offhand, it's been a while since I've used it). It's a gem, but the Bandit just feels more "me". 

• Like 5

I just bought a Bandit and took a test spin. Wow, it's really nice! Had a nice sprint around the largest cluster of new stilt regions before I hit the edge of the regions and the boat was thrown back into my lost and found. I'd had some experience with free and low-cost boats, and the Bandit is much smoother and easier to drive than the ones I'd tried before.

• Like 8

18 hours ago, Nando Yip said:

I put a bag that you can take on my stilt, with the ERB-380 boat, that I slightly modified the textures, it has full permissions, and in the package it also has all the notes with the name of the creators and the general instructions, in addition to the original version.
I consider this boat perfect for navigating the channels between the stilts and visiting the neighbors, it only has 11 prims.
If you want on the porch there are also roasts and drinks, next to the house there is a rez area so you can already go home sailing on your boat.

on here:

Thank you for  the boat Nando :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Someone in Belli chat told me about this little Sea Boss  - Cadet from TMS, it is I think perfect for the waters around the stitls, little and easy to drive with some nice animations for two people..and only 5 in Li! It is grey as orig color but textures follow for those that can do that. 

bdc24efc48f32fe27dc50a061628a7aa.png

• Like 8

On 1/3/2021 at 8:11 AM, Quiet Mirabella said:

Someone in Belli chat told me about this little Sea Boss  - Cadet from TMS, it is I think perfect for the waters around the stitls, little and easy to drive with some nice animations for two people..and only 5 in Li! It is grey as orig color but textures follow for those that can do that. 

I think they throw in one with blue accents as well as the grey in the box. I have that one too & use it pretty often when I explore alone, it turns on a dime!

• Like 4

• Moles

Boating was always a factor in the Stilt Homes design, with a focus on small or medium sized pleasure craft. It is one of the reasons we updated the covenant regarding objects extending outside of water parcels and why there are so many rezzing zones scattered throughout the area. Many of the pathways between houses can be fairly narrow,  but we did try to make sure everyone with a parcel with a house on water has the ability to have a boat and be able to use it if they want. Those with a house on land shouldn't have to go more than a region or two away to find a place to rez a boat. The larger waterways will tend to happen where two of the 4, 6, 8, or 12 region "island" templates meet. It may take a little weaving between parcels to get to it, but eventually you can get to the larger bodies of water and even full sizes regions where you can sail to your hearts desire.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 12

On 12/29/2020 at 2:02 PM, Nika Talaj said:

I'm sitting on the deck next to a mermaid sculpture that I'm intending to use as a rezzer.  It will be able to rez the Harbor Master where it is now, the Mudskipper under the house, and/or the IF where the Loonetta is now (the deepest water I have).

I have a freebie script I give out that is a 'perm rezzer' - it will rez an object to a location, and then scans once every 3 minutes and if it cannot find the object withing so many meters, rezzes it to that location.

- this lets me drive or sail away and my vehicle pops back into place in the parked spot.

The only perms needed on the vehicle are 'copy' as the coordinates of where to rez are stored in the description field of the prim you place the rez script in. Looking something like this:

[sau]Raven[1.13] (-0.05975,-0.42911,0.64551) 0.35:358.95:90.7"

- That is basically how I have it remember which object in it's inventory to rez, how far from itself to rez it, and at what angle to set to object.

I give the script away for free, and it's mod so people can see and edit the code as well.

This is why on land I own I often leave a pile of land vehicles 'unlocked' for people to drive off with.

Now if I could just find a good quality sail boat that I could set to be usable by anyone. All the ones I own can only be sailed by the owner.

Edited by Pussycat Catnap
  • Like 3

• Moles
12 minutes ago, Pussycat Catnap said:

I actually passed on getting a stilt when I didn't see any open water regions around them.

Is that expected to change?

There are over 30 open water regions in a strip from Really Wet to Mellow Submarine. There aren't any around the outside because if/when we build more Stilt home regions, they will likely be placed there. And that is something to keep in mind that has always been true since the beginning of SL... If you are facing an "ocean view" of an empty space on the map, there are no guarantees that space will not be someday filled with something other than water. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

21 hours ago, Abnor Mole said:

If you are facing an "ocean view" of an empty space on the map, there are no guarantees that space will not be someday filled with something other than water. 

Yeah.

I've got an amazing spot with my houseboat that I managed to get just over a year ago. It faces onto multiple regions of ocean that are old established regions and form a bridge between it and old mainland. That makes me super picky.

But it's also what anyone into sailing wants - room to go about. Blake Sea is a disappointment because of the unregulated coastline.

I did pick up a stilt yesterday with an alt. Now I've got 30 days to decide on keeping it and tossing one of my old plots back, or tossing it back instead.

Stilt house with boats

Most of these are from the 'Bandit' shop.

There's one in the background that you can barely see that is a tiny 'Dolphin Moth Mini'.

Bandit really does have the best sailing system in SL in my opinion. It just... works... the way I'd want it to.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Pussycat Catnap said:

Yeah.

I've got an amazing spot with my houseboat that I managed to get just over a year ago. It faces onto multiple regions of ocean that are old established regions and form a bridge between it and old mainland. That makes me super picky.

But it's also what anyone into sailing wants - room to go about. Blake Sea is a disappointment because of the unregulated coastline.

I did pick up a stilt yesterday with an alt. Now I've got 30 days to decide on keeping it and tossing one of my old plots back, or tossing it back instead.

Stilt house with boats

Most of these are from the 'Bandit' shop.

There's one in the background that you can barely see that is a tiny 'Dolphin Moth Mini'.

Bandit really does have the best sailing system in SL in my opinion. It just... works... the way I'd want it to.

I don't know much about the Blake Sea. What do you mean by "unregulated coastline" Pussycat?

OK so this might be an unusual choice of ride to sail the stilt or houseboat regions, but my daughter got herself one of these and it reminded me of this thread. Cyan is being given away for FREE this weekend, while the rest of the colors are available for L$50 each. Looks cute and magical! Squeeeee!

LM: https://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/LUNATICA/16/24/3073

Whale.thumb.jpg.0a80f43c89b1eefec9c36b6ab75614df.jpg

Edited by Yuumo Ichibara
  • Like 2
  • Haha 5

3 hours ago, Yuumo Ichibara said:

OK so this might be an unusual choice of ride to sail the stilt or houseboat regions, but my daughter got herself one of these and it reminded me of this thread. Cyan is being given away for FREE this weekend, while the rest of the colors are available for L$50 each. Looks cute and magical! Squeeeee!

LM: https://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/LUNATICA/16/24/3073

Whale.thumb.jpg.0a80f43c89b1eefec9c36b6ab75614df.jpg

The whale is actually quite cute and fun to ride around on, but I really do hate the sitting pose they used.  

• Like 1

On 12/29/2020 at 11:44 AM, KatHeartsong Kaos said:

This is the main reason I wanted a house in Margaritaville- to have a boat right off my deck to sail Bellisseria (& hopefully, eventually, the rest of SL) from. The closeness of the homes & twistiness of the waterways makes smaller personal craft a must, so I dug deep in my INV over the last few days trying & retrying all my small watercraft. My back deck in Littoral Truth abuts a land & launch rez zone (yay!)

My "grab & go sailing" boats so far are these two:

Cigar Yacht's  GXR-1650 Jetski. This is perfect for two people, tons of cute poses & slips right under piers, bonus it has wave rider physics for taking it to surf sims. 

For more leisurely cruising with more friends: Mesh Shop Captain's Launch. My all time favorite for its variety of experiences: seats 4, the motor is quiet, it's responsive & turns well, looks sleek, has a nice wake, and hoist a sail & cut the motor & fish a while.

I'm sure we'll see plenty of Loonettas too, but what other craft will you fish out to sail the new regions?

The Forever SummerMERRY STILTS & HAPPY NEW YEAR from the hardworking & wonderful Lindens & Moles

Great thread and exactly on the wavelength I've been operating these past couple days! I have a little bit of a nasty habit of collecting watercraft I never use, so I'm currently trying to figure out my plans for my new Baby Buoy houseboat and I was hitting up all the major boat sellers the past couple nights to compare what I have already to what I could be using.

Aside from living in Belli, I also have a homestead in Templeton Cove where I keep my Palinuro and Continental37 by Rattletrap Shipyards permanently docked and they will probably stay there. I also have my Bandit IF and my TMS Star Class there as they are both fantastic for narrower passages so will probably not be carried over to Belli either. When I was using my houseboat on Penitent Beach I had my Aquadream by Rattletrap out, but now that I moved to Baby Buoy I'm feeling like I could be using one of the larger sailboats I can't use on my homestead because of their size. I have the Loonetta and the Bandit 60, but I favor my TMS Ushuaia. That said, I did just grab the TMS Cafe Del Mar and the TMS Ocean Beach two days ago and I have the Ocean Beach docked at Baby Buoy currently. I also want to use the TMS SeaBoss Extreme with additional wakeboards for my friends, I think that would be loads of fun so I expect to pull those out and take them for a spin at Baby Buoy!

I'm constantly in this struggle where I prefer the aesthetic of Rattletrap Shipyards but I long for the sailing features of Bandit & TMS. It makes me forever indecisive about how to use my 351 LI allowance in Belli. I'm always checking on those two sims in the hopes that Rattletrap has released a sailboat or that Bandit/TMS has upped their mesh and texture game inside the cabins. I don't know if either will ever happen or if a competitor will ever hit SL that equals those creators in those areas (pssst... I'm open to suggestions if anyone knows of some creators I haven't heard about that could end my struggle).

Oh, speaking of LI, for anyone looking for rezzers that don't impede on your decor allowance... MadPea has some really fun ones! The MadPea Starboats are SO MUCH FUN with friends (think ocean bumper boats) and the rezzer is only 2 LI and each starboat is only 6 LI. Madpea has other good boat rezzers too that can be great choices for your guests to get out and explore and have fun. I have an old one that isn't available anymore, a little wooden Madpea boat with an invisible rezzer you put under water, and I still use it to this day for an easy ride around waterways.

Here, have some pics to close out my message! Pictured are the TMS Ocean Beach at my HB in Baby Buoy (yes, that's my kitty alt on top), as well as some wintery shots from my homestead of the TMS Star Class, Palinuro & Continental37 both by Rattletrap Shipyards, and the Bandit IF with a bonus of the Madpea starboat rezzer in view. Just in case anyone was curious about any of the boats I mentioned above!

Snapshot_006.jpg

Snapshot_007.jpg

Snapshot_008.jpg

Snapshot_009.jpg

• Like 9

I have an SL sailing question, which will reveal what a dilettante sailor I am.  In RL, the maximum speed of a sailboat is proportional to its LOA - length overall, the length of the boat where the hull meets the water.  Are the sailing engines in SL real enough that this is true in SL also?  I love my Bandit IF, but I'm wondering if I could get more speed when I crank up the wind with a longer sailboat?  Perhaps in SL,  you'd see speed increases due to the increases in sail area rather than LOA, but that might still be significant. 

What do you think, do bigger SL sailboats go faster?  I don't have enough time inworld nowadays to do a survey of demo boats to discover the answer for myself 🙃

I went to the marketplace a week or two ago to see what if there were any neat sailboats to be had.   As usual, I find myself distracted from ever-so-practical 32LI sloops by  cutter-rigged offerings, real bowsprits, so graceful.   Anybody remember Trudeau yachts?  Last summer she released a new version of the Trudeau 32 cutter cruiser. Looky!  A storm jib, multiple reef points on the main!  This puppy can handle very high winds and with a cutter's sail area I bet you can just tear across a region, but I'm wondering what happens when you cross a border, the boat being 14m LOA and  around 80LI fully rigged. Of course you wouldn't moor this monster at your Stilt, but SO many rez zones ...

stormsettings.jpg

Next time I'm inworld I hope to give this a try.

• Like 6

20 hours ago, Eirynne Sieyes said:

I don't know much about the Blake Sea. What do you mean by "unregulated coastline" Pussycat?

There's no covenant for what people can rez alpng the coasts of Blake Sea's mainland portions. So what they have rezzed is often amazingly ugly. Giant prim walls, mis-aligned builds, multi-story airports blocking the view of everything around, security orbs and banlines, glowy things, and basically every kind of horrendous build one can imagine.

- All perfectly within the rules of there being more or less no rules.

Regulation, such as the Bellisseria covenant, is important. It gives people a common understanding and "keeps the peace". In this context it helps keep a theme going, makes regions sailable even if you accidentally cross a property line for a few moments because of lag or difficult steering or region crossing, helps reduce lag, and helps avoid drama.

ps:

There is even one region that is private owned that forms the connection between the extreme north end of Blake Sea and another mainland continent - and for most years of it's existence the entire sim has blocked public access, slicing the ocean in half. Every now and then someone rents it and sets it open, and I think that might the case currently, but for most years it's been a blocker.

For added context, the area of extreme South Bellisseria where it meets the mainland continent south of it used to have a lot of gaps and blocked off points - that southern continent was poor for sailing despite a large inside sea because you couldn't even reach the north of that very continent. When they connected it to Bellisseria they filled in all the gaps and it's not got nicer sailing from there all the way up through Bellisseria than Blake Sea - because you entire journey up is through regions with rules about what can be rezzed out in public and how access can/cannot be blocked.

Edited by Pussycat Catnap
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, Nika Talaj said:

I have an SL sailing question, which will reveal what a dilettante sailor I am.  In RL, the maximum speed of a sailboat is proportional to its LOA - length overall, the length of the boat where the hull meets the water.  Are the sailing engines in SL real enough that this is true in SL also?  I love my Bandit IF, but I'm wondering if I could get more speed when I crank up the wind with a longer sailboat?  Perhaps in SL,  you'd see speed increases due to the increases in sail area rather than LOA, but that might still be significant. 

What do you think, do bigger SL sailboats go faster?  I don't have enough time inworld nowadays to do a survey of demo boats to discover the answer for myself 🙃

Generally no. A few brands have tried to impliment things like this, but if brand A does it one way, brand B another, and brands C-Z ignore it or decide it's too much scripting to deal with - then the results will be all over the place.

You can literally rez a single blank prim, and if you put a top brand's sailing engine into it - it will be a wonderful sailing experience, minus seeing the animation of sails moving and such... 😉

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...
On 12/31/2020 at 3:31 PM, Nando Yip said:

on here:

Yes, necroposting, but this thread was useful to me, and maybe it can be for others too.

I've been getting around in my Culprit speedboat, and with good results, so far didn't enter anyone's house :). I want to try other boats, maybe even a Bandit (do those have a rezzer? ), but before best to other ones. I know this one is free in marketplace, but I love what you did with it @Nando Yip. Any chance you have it still available? Thanks a lot

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Super useful- thanks for bringing this one back! Interesting to see the wide range of boats that folks use. I figured that the stilts were set up for small watercraft! I mostly use my Bandit SRV210 through those waters (I live in Plage Marsouin and feel so lucky to have landed there for all the sailing possibilities), although my Bandit 460AK works well too (but does not handle as well in tight turns for me 😅).

• Like 2

If you have a houseboat or stilt that has water in the parcel you can permanently park a boat in the water, and zoom off any time you want.  But ANYONE can sail Belli's waters, water rez zones are plentiful, not only at the really obvious places like nearly all Linden lighthouses.  There are free gadgets that find all the rez zones in a region, but actually in Belli you can just see them really easily if you show parcel boundaries on the minimap - rez zones are smaller than parcels.

Also, if your parcel is close to water but has none in it, you can rez your boat on your parcel, sit on it, and just move it into the water using edit.

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, EnchantrixLisa said:

Stupid question coming so no one laugh. So if you have a stilt home or houseboat you are able to sail the water? 

As @Nika Talaj said anyone can sail in Belli, you just need a boat.

Sailing is not for me, but cruising the waters in a motor boat I love, that was the reason I wanted a stilt and the reason I changed places, I'm at Tradinghouse, sim border and it is very easy to access more open waters, so now I need other boats to have fun.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Nika Talaj said:

If you have a houseboat or stilt that has water in the parcel you can permanently park a boat in the water, and zoom off any time you want.  But ANYONE can sail Belli's waters, water rez zones are plentiful, not only at the really obvious places like nearly all Linden lighthouses.  There are free gadgets that find all the rez zones in a region, but actually in Belli you can just see them really easily if you show parcel boundaries on the minimap - rez zones are smaller than parcels.

Also, if your parcel is close to water but has none in it, you can rez your boat on your parcel, sit on it, and just move it into the water using edit.

Thank you for explaining it to me. I guess I should do some boat shopping. Any excuse to shop! 🥰

• Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 743 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.