I must not get ahead of myself …

Bem Beyaz

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1211 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So these are the two commands …

gsCommand = "cuffing";
//  Request notification first …
llRegionSayTo(gkCaptive, giRLV, gsCommand + "," + (string)gkCaptive + ",@notify:" + (string)giCaptive + ";attached legally right hand=add");
//  Then attempt to attach the folder …
llRegionSayTo(gkCaptive, giRLV, gsCommand + "," + (string)gkCaptive + ",@attach:" + gsFolder + "=force");

And this is the debug output …

Bem's Cuffs: message is "/notify:162738272;attached legally right hand=add".
Bem's Cuffs: message is "… shenanigans …"
Bem's Cuffs: message is "/attached legally Right Hand".
Bem's Cuffs: message is "You have cuffed Brad!"

Which is all well and good but I only want to pull those shenanigans in the event that "/attached legally Right Hand" is not confirmed first with the opening "if" condition — in case gsFolder follows Murphy's Law and happens to be empty, for example (a list of potential folders to attach was built on the first touch event because, in the true tradition of Second Life, Brad is one of those accounts whose #RLV folder is every bit as messed up with dead-ends and dumb stuff as his default Inventory).

As it happens, this works even as said shenanigans kick-off prematurely with "/notify:162738272;attached legally right hand=add" in the following "else if" condition before "/attached legally Right Hand" comes hot on its heels a split second later. The routine finishes up then, resetting the timer, closing the the listen, clearing the notification and setting a control integer, giOffer, to FALSE.

And I have Brad bang to rights, of course.

I know it is verging on overkill to test all those folders when I could just give the dumb cluck another bunch of copiable items and get on with messing him about but, hey, the code block will be dormant 99.9% of the time (I would hope). Also, such small awkwardnesses speak to the the calibre of the person we are playing with — no such thing as TMI with RLV RP IMHO (LOL).

That split second bothers me, though — and it really is only a split second. The RLV protocols are very resilient and tests on frantically busy sims with up to 60 meshed-up, variously textured and smugly smirking avatars (HUDs 'n' all), several of whom will have active relays (one or two with several), cascades of nearby chat, IMs from greeting bots, a dance ball and other typical headaches, the delay does not add up to more than the blink of an eye.

Am I really condemned to jump the gun every time?

NB: I have tried reversing the order of the attach and notify commands. I have also tried setting a different gsCommand on each despite the RLV spec which explicitly says that one-shot commands like "force" are not repeated anyway (confirmed with zilch in the listen for it). I also tried putting a sleep between the commands, hoping the @attach confirmation would skip past @notify in the ether and I tried that same hopeless strategy between the listen conditions too. I also placed my lucky bakelite "Beatles" pen-holder on a different corner of the desk every time but nothing doing.

Edited by Bem Beyaz
Corrected gsOffer to giOffer.

Well, it seems that I was indeed jumping the gun …

I wasted a good deal of time on the assumption that I had wrongly formatted the @notify command. But it turns out the attachment was only firing on an ill-judged loop and not as it should have been doing first time around. Hence, shenanigans. The recursion (if it kicks off at all) is stopped after a few rounds with the judicious placement of a return but that'll teach me — as anyone who ever wallpapered the screen with "OwnerSay" statements will agree.

Many happy returns for 2021.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1211 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.