Jump to content

Will SL Ever Have Realistic Gravity?


Jennifer Boyle
 Share

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 295 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Recommended Posts

11 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

When I was a child, my father planted a seed in my head that's still very much alive. During my first ever elevator ride (a thrilling experience) he suggested we imagine that, rather than the elevator moving us up and down in the building, we remain stationary while the entire universe moves down and up to accommodate our desire to relocate.

To this day, elevator rides reaffirm my belief that I am the center of the universe*.

 

*Okay, okay, and anyone who's riding in the elevator with me.

Well, am I incorrect in thinking that, if you fall to earth, your own mass is having an immeasurably small, but still real, impact on the earth, and that it is also moving towards you?

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/28/2020 at 1:36 PM, Jennifer Boyle said:

I happened to look at my earrings while I was lying down. They were horizontal.

For pictures often the earrings can be edited to hang right, though this is not practiacl for movong around.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

immeasurably immaterial

Says who?

Dahling, I've devoted my entire SL to being a measurably and irresistibly attractive force, with a galaxy of friends and slavish admirers in orbit around me.

Ptolemy and Copernicus were both wrong: it is a Scylla-centric virtual universe.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Says who?

Dahling, I've devoted my entire SL to being a measurably and irresistibly attractive force, with a galaxy of friends and slavish admirers in orbit around me.

Ptolemy and Copernicus were both wrong: it is a Scylla-centric virtual universe.

Well then, there must be multiverses, because in mine everything revolves around me.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

When I was a child, my father planted a seed in my head that's still very much alive. During my first ever elevator ride (a thrilling experience) he suggested we imagine that, rather than the elevator moving us up and down in the building, we remain stationary while the entire universe moves down and up to accommodate our desire to relocate.

To this day, elevator rides reaffirm my belief that I am the center of the universe*.

 

*Okay, okay, and anyone who's riding in the elevator with me.

Are those watermelon vines I see growing out of your ears? That's what happens when you eat watermelon seeds instead of spitting them out. 

*nods sagely

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Well, am I incorrect in thinking that, if you fall to earth, your own mass is having an immeasurably small, but still real, impact on the earth, and that it is also moving towards you?

Earth is hurtling moving towards the sun so if you are falling towards earth from the "sunny side" then yes, otherwise, not really. 💫

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, Tarina Sewell said:

You can create a prim, sit on it.. send it to say 1000m and hit physical then let go You will experience gravity.

I once hung a picture on a wall, then noticed that physical thing and clicked it to see what it would do, That picture almost crushed me.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

That is completely correct and immeasurably immaterial.

Well, yes, but every little noodge of acceleration counts, Maddy. And don't forget that gravitational attraction between objects increases with the inverse square of the distance between them, so your rate of acceleration is infinitesmally larger as you approach the ground (although slightly offset by friction with a truly insignificantly denser atmosphere there). 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Rolig Loon said:

Well, yes, but every little noodge of acceleration counts, Maddy. And don't forget that gravitational attraction between objects increases with the inverse square of the distance between them, so your rate of acceleration is infinitesmally larger as you approach the ground (although slightly offset by friction with a truly insignificantly denser atmosphere there). 

@Madelaine McMasters

YEAH! WHAT SHE SAID!!!

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Rolig Loon said:

Well, yes, but every little noodge of acceleration counts, Maddy. And don't forget that gravitational attraction between objects increases with the inverse square of the distance between them, so your rate of acceleration is infinitesmally larger as you approach the ground (although slightly offset by friction with a truly insignificantly denser atmosphere there). 

Separated at birth, and by twenty years. You're as annoying as any sister I could imagine.

Happy New Year, Rolig!

Edited by Madelaine McMasters
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, binder59 said:

you can just set the sim to no flying thats gravity

True, but I have the knowledge to overcome your steenking no-fly zone gravity!

(And a Happy New Year to Ms. AllThingsAreRelative McMasters and Ms. NitpickyDecimalPoint Loon!)

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, binder59 said:

you can just set the sim to no flying thats gravity

  1. Fly.
  2. Enter no fly location (by flight or teleport)
  3. You're still flying!

This works while : 

  1. Entering adjacent parcels on the same region where flight is disabled on a per parcel basis.
  2. Crossing region borders into a no-flight parcel or no flight region.
  3. Teleporting into a full isolated region where flight is disabled everywhere.

You might think this would be considered a bug and would be fixed, at least for #3.

It's has been this way forever because

  1. People would loudly complain their rights and fundamental liberties are being impinged.
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, HarrisonMcKenzie said:

If we had realistic gravity, then how can human avatars be 14 feet tall?

Maybe by the same token that Goreans are bigger and stronger on a planet where the gravity is less than Earth's. Yeah, gravity doesn't work that way.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/2/2021 at 10:15 AM, Coffee Pancake said:

It's has been this way forever because

getting shot out of the sky by a parcel control while flying over (contiguous) mainland would be a little bit disconcerting for the flyer

this said I get why it works as it does on mainland. Probably be good tho if there was a region/estate option to kill Fly totally on estates for them that want it

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/3/2021 at 12:23 PM, HarrisonMcKenzie said:

If we had realistic gravity, then how can human avatars be 14 feet tall?

 

 

I was not aware humans avatars using the classic body edits could be 14ft tall.

I would assume that tall would not be humans but giants who appear to be humans.

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 295 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...