Will SL Ever Have Realistic Gravity?

Jennifer Boyle

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1207 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

44 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

Gravity is inevitable. It's just more noticeable on us than it is on men.Ā šŸ¤­

Oh I don't know about that. After they hit about 50 or so, defying gravity in order to have sex does become a challenge for some men.

They even have drugs now to help them spring upwards again.

• Haha 7

27 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Oh I don't know about that. After they hit about 50 or so, defying gravity in order to have sex does become a challenge for some men.

They even have drugs now to help them spring upwards again.

Well. AT least you got the gist even if you didn't get the joke.Ā šŸ¤­

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Coffee Pancake said:

Ā Personally, I'd like to see sim / parcel based unrealistic gravity / physics with owner controlled settings.

Ā 

I think this is flat out a great idea. It's a real limitation of SL that so much of the fundamental of the environment slavishly imitate RL. Wouldn't it be cool if you could create places where the rules of RL don't apply?

• Thanks 2

I recall being at a Fameshed X event once and there were these male avatars with flaccid body parts that actually flopped around as they walked.Ā šŸ†

I don't know how it was doneĀ and I certainly didn't want to stare or click on it. Clicking on body parts always has consequences. But, that sort of thing ought to be used on earrings.Ā 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Bree Giffen said:

I recall being at a Fameshed X event once and there were these male avatars with flaccid body parts that actually flopped around as they walked.Ā šŸ†

I don't know how it was doneĀ and I certainly didn't want to stare or click on it. Clicking on body parts always has consequences. But, that sort of thing ought to be used on earrings.Ā 

I believe that body part works with a hud.Ā  It's bento like a tail or ears.Ā Ā Ā All physics movement is custom and done outside SL in our 3D software
ā¬›ā¬›ā¬›ā¬›ā¬› XXXXĀ does not respond to inworld physics.

2 hours ago, Bree Giffen said:

Might be the same feature that causes boobs to bounce. Avatar physics.

https://strawberrysingh.com/2015/07/24/second-life-avatar-physics/

I kept imagining that SL would have PhysFlex or FlexPhys (or better name) for handling a gravitational engine of some kind on SL. I'd love to be able to see tails to furry avis droop down normally as they should, instead of perked up almost all the time. Would be nice to see clothing actually sack down onto your avatar. Just something to show a little realism here and there.

• Haha 1

On 12/28/2020 at 7:36 PM, Jennifer Boyle said:

They were horizontal.

If only mesh could be flexi, like prims. I propose a viewer with flexi mesh: codename Sushi.

On 12/28/2020 at 7:36 PM, Jennifer Boyle said:

Will SL Ever Have Realistic Gravity?

What, is 0.1667 g not good enough for you?

Edited by Arduenn Schwartzman
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Coffee Pancake said:

Nonesense! Your avatar never moves, the ground in SL rushes up to be your friend.

When I was a child, my father planted a seed in my head that's still very much alive. During my first ever elevator ride (a thrilling experience) he suggested we imagine that, rather than the elevator moving us up and down in the building, we remain stationary while the entire universe moves down and up to accommodate our desire to relocate.

To this day, elevator rides reaffirm my belief that I am the center of theĀ universe*.

Ā 

*Okay, okay, and anyone who's riding in the elevator with me.

Edited by Madelaine McMasters
  • Like 4

7 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

rather than the elevator moving us up and down in the building, we remain stationary while the entire universe moves down and up to accommodate our desire to relocate.

Reminds me of the "warp drive" in one series (perhapsĀ Bill the Galactic Hero?) where the ship grows to an impossible size, then shrinks down at the desired location.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1207 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.