Question on running scripts

Liaa Nova

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1213 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi all,

Possibly a very noob question, but how can we tell our constantly running scripts? Would this be things that move all the time? Is there somewhere that shows it? I'm on Firestorm and only have About Land not Estate access.

I have some fields from a game that regrow once an hour, would the scripts in these run constantly, or only when time to regrow?

Thanks for any help, it seems obvious it may be things always moving but then I deleted scripts from some things like a fireplace turned on and it still is on, and not sure with the hourly regrow

Unless you have set a script to Not Running or it has stalled for some reason, it is running.  You cannot tell its state by looking to see whether something is happening visually.  For one thing, many scripts are active but not doing anything at all until an event is triggered. (Your grass scripts fall into this category -- just idling until the timer event is triggered.)  Also, many prim properties like particle generation and hover text need a script to start them but will persist even after you remove the script.  (Your fireplace, which almost certainly has a particle display for the flames, is a good example.) 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Rolig Loon said:

Unless you have set a script to Not Running or it has stalled for some reason, it is running.  You cannot tell its state by looking to see whether something is happening visually.  For one thing, many scripts are active but not doing anything at all until an event is triggered. (Your grass scripts fall into this category -- just idling until the timer event is triggered.)  Also, many prim properties like particle generation and hover text need a script to start them but will persist even after you remove the script.  (Your fireplace, which almost certainly has a particle display for the flames, is a good example.) 

Thanks! I was wondering as the covenant says no more than 3 constantly running objects per parcel, but not exactly how to tell. I tried to stop them but not all allow me to x

Edited by Liaa Nova

2 minutes ago, Liaa Nova said:

Thanks! I was wondering as the covenant says no more than 3 constantly running objects per parcel, but not exactly how to tell. I tried to stop them but not all allow me to x

That's a very vague limit, I'd ask the owner to clarify what they mean by "constantly running" or examples of objects they've had trouble with in the past.

• Like 2

Just now, Wulfie Reanimator said:

That's a very vague limit, I'd ask the owner to clarify what they mean by "constantly running" or examples of objects they've had trouble with in the past.

I did ask, but wasn't told what it is, just i'll be fine with what I have, going on what i'd said I have. Might try one of the CSR's and see what they think as i've no idea now it's explained they always run x

18 minutes ago, Liaa Nova said:

Thanks! I was wondering as the covenant says no more than 3 constantly running objects per parcel, but not exactly how to tell.

Ah... If you are concerned about Linden Homes, there is no such restriction.  The closest mention is the line in the LH covenant that says, " Land cannot contain temp-rezzers, or individual prims beyond the allocated size of the Second Life Viewer build tools. (64,64,64)."  That's a specific concern about objects that use a script to continually rez new instances of a temporary object -- like some butterfly rezzers, for example -- in order to get around local prim limits.  Those things put an unnecessary drain on server resources and are inconsiderate to other residents in a region.  The covenant is not limiting the number of scripts you can have; it's restricting a particular kind of script.  If you are on a private estate, of course, the landowner may have her own reasons for adding a covenant restriction.  Continuous temp-rezzers are a concern almost anywhere, but she may have other worries. You'd need to discuss them with her, if that's the case.

Edited by Rolig Loon
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

Ah... If you are concerned about Linden Homes, there is no such restriction.  The closest mention is the line in the LH covenant that says, " Land cannot contain temp-rezzers, or individual prims beyond the allocated size of the Second Life Viewer build tools. (64,64,64)."  That's a specific concern about objects that use a script to continually rez new instances of a temporary object -- like some butterfly rezzers, for example -- in order to get around local prim limits.  Those things put an unnecessary drain on server resources and are inconsiderate to other residents in a region.  The covenant is not limiting the number of scripts you can have; it's restricting a particular kind of script.  If you are on a private estate, of course, the landowner may have her own reasons for adding a covenant restriction.  Continuous temp-rezzers are a concern almost anywhere, but she may have other worries. You'd need to discuss them with her, if that's the case.

This is estate land (sorry should've mentioned it)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1213 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.