Ways to make wrinkles in clothes

Karotnas

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1206 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello guys, I need to ask a question, or if someone cares to help me. I would like to make an outfit for my character, I learned about bake, but the folds in the light model are not good. Does anyone have any way or practice of making folds or wrinkles in a light mesh? In low poly
Thanks for listening :)

11 minutes ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:
  1. Make your clothes with the highest detail possible. (Model/sculpt every wrinkle, use a million triangles, whatever.)
  2. Retopo the whole thing, using as simple geometry as you can.
  3. Bake normals from the high-poly model to the low-poly version.

VsCAP.jpg

Thanks for the information, I thought it had other shapes, because when I made the bake it was very smooth at low-poly, it didn't look like there was volume there. And I was seeing clothing models in the game, and most of them have waves But thank you!

7 hours ago, Karotnas said:

Thanks for the information, I thought it had other shapes, because when I made the bake it was very smooth at low-poly, it didn't look like there was volume there.

Once you've created a normal map, you won't see its effect on your low-poly model unless you use it as part of the low-poly model's display parameters/material/whatever your software calls it (or upload the normal map texture and assign it to your low-poly mesh to SL). (Also, SL won't show it unless you have Advanced Lighting on, which you probably do unless you're on a slow laptop -- I'm just covering all the bases here.)

It helps to do something that seems brainlessly simple when trying a new technique, like here: I'd start from an empty file, make a rectangle, sculpt a gouge into it, then turn that into a normal map on a single low-poly quad. If you get that working you know you've got the basics and can handle it for clothes.

Edited by Quarrel Kukulcan

On 12/27/2020 at 7:57 PM, Quarrel Kukulcan said:

Once you've created a normal map, you won't see its effect on your low-poly model unless you use it as part of the low-poly model's display parameters/material/whatever your software calls it (or upload the normal map texture and assign it to your low-poly mesh to SL). (Also, SL won't show it unless you have Advanced Lighting on, which you probably do unless you're on a slow laptop -- I'm just covering all the bases here.)

It helps to do something that seems brainlessly simple when trying a new technique, like here: I'd start from an empty file, make a rectangle, sculpt a gouge into it, then turn that into a normal map on a single low-poly quad. If you get that working you know you've got the basics and can handle it for clothes.

Adding onto this... The normal map alone is not always enough depending on the lighting system you are dealing with. A good deal of the heavy lifting has to be done in the textures. And Normal maps are only one half of this. You'll want to bake an AO to your low poly model as well. And use that in a multiply layer to add some lighting information into your diffuse. Because clothing generally won't be super reflective, you don't need to worry too much about adding highlights unless the particular garment is just absurdly dark.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1206 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.