What does this song make you think of?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1216 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

It reminds me of the days when I loved Bad Boys who would Wake Me Up Before You Go Go at Club Tropicana where everything was A Ray Of Sunshine and Nothing Looks The Same in The Light.  Days when he would say "I'm Your Man, so you can take my Credit Card Baby, cos If You Were There You'd Know that in a Heartbeat I would Careless Whisper that Everything She Wants is Freedom."

giphy (6).gif

Edited by Jordan Whitt
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

8 hours ago, Gopi Passiflora said:

It makes me think of young women doing Christmas shopping at a upscale shopping district downtown.

It's a sad tune but the video is kind of fun 😊 I'd like to go skiing and snowball fighting with them. 

There's an awkward bit at 2:19 where George Michael looks like he's made a joke but the woman just blanks him and continues her chat with the guy opposite :$

It makes me think of the orchestral arrangement one of our teachers wrote for our yearly Christmas concert. Once you've heard half a dozen small children armed with trumpets blast out that discreet-but-slightly-bland background riff at full force, two more kids beating the drums to death and a children's chir desperately trying to be heard through the noise, you never listen to that song the same way again. Musical quality: 0%, Charm: 100% ^_^

4 hours ago, sirhc DeSantis said:

Reminds me that '84 was the year that Mr Michael there went from being a bit annoying as Wham! in my eyes to a rather decent bloke.

You have to be a very good musician to be able to write good, catchy pop hits. It's a very delicate balance and you have nowhere to hide. More advanced music is much easier to handle in many ways. "Last Christmas" is a great example of the perfect balance, there's nothing to add to and nothing to remove from its soundscape. It's not really my kind of music but I appreciate solid craftmanship when I hear it.

as for comparing pop-Wham to rock-Michael, well styles and genres are for the fans to argue about. Musicians care much less about such things.

Edited by ChinRey

This song reminds me of a feminist party I went to one Xmas, hosted in the prairie countryside by an elderly lesbian. As a teen-ager she was thrown into the psychiatric ward and given electroshock treatment to 'cure the gay', and her mind was never quite the same. Though she had a degree in Psychology she could never practice and do much with her life, but the smile on her face when she could celebrate with her new-found and accepting feminist friends in our small community was priceless.

Edited by Luna Bliss

24 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

Hmmm.. It doesn't remind me of anything.  Mostly it sounds like the sort of places I try to avoid even in non-CoVid times, like shopping malls and vacation resorts.  

This. It reminds me of my local grocery, which has played this non-stop, with about a dozen other songs of similar ilk, for the past month and a half. I have no particular opinion about its quality as a song, but I'd be very happy not to have to hear it again for at least another 10 or 11 months.

PS. I wonder how many "young women" are listening to Wham. Probably not a whole lot . . .

PPS. OMG the haircuts! LOLOLOL!

It was worth watching just for that.

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
  • Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1216 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.