We are in the Cloud!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1365 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

When I saw Jeff Bezos on television in about 1995 when he was talking about his new internet adventure:  Amazon, selling used books on the internet.  The thought inside my head was "oh, that will never work".  What made me think that is we can get books for free at the library.  So, I thought it would fail.  Jeff Bezos is now on his way to becoming the first trillionaire.  So, since I doubted Bezos all those years ago, this time I will keep my mouth shut.  But, my machine runs way better in the cloud.  So, that is all and my 2 cents as it stands today.  EEP is what I am having a problem with but then again I'm a bit fried right now and need to chill.  I will learn EEP some time after Christmas.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

remember guys the CDN'S delivery the textures and such to you,  those can be slower than the cloud at amazon, they are not the same product and LL has been using cdn's for ages now.  so there could be bottle necks between fetching and delivering right now, things still have to be tweaked like any product.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, rasterscan said:

Scene rezzing slower than ever lol. Some stuff dont even show at all now until i right click where i know it should be then it insta - appears.

That has been an on and off issue - for some - for quite a while now. Some things might not even appear until you leave the region and come back or relog.

Not a Cloud specific issue. Exacerbated? Possibly.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Does this mean region pricing will go down? I am not sure the cost of cloud based service however, I am sure it is far less than up keep the massive server rooms LL needed previously, let alone office space.... Vacating the ole brick buildings? 

Curious, to see how this plays out. We put a lot of faith in Amazon. 

I have noticed myself several things... mostly avatar based issues. Not so much region issues. so far..

Edited by Tarina Sewell
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, aquarius27 said:

is that why everything is running soooooo much better now   not 

hush noob you may not have an opinion here unless you have at least 5 posts.

Edited by Tarina Sewell
i am teasing for those of you who take this to seriously
  • Haha 2

I've just been in NCI Help chat, one issue some of us are having is that you can accept friend requests but they won't save unless both of you are inworld at the same time. I got sent some requests and accepted, then I logged back in later and the person wasn't in my friends list (though their calling card is saved in inventory). 

Also, it's not saving some settings (ie you can tick "Don't show this again" when you're taking a TP or logging out, but it won't save it for next time you log in). 

• Like 1

On 12/23/2020 at 8:28 PM, Rat Luv said:

Also, it's not saving some settings (ie you can tick "Don't show this again" when you're taking a TP or logging out, but it won't save it for next time you log in). 

I have noticed this too.  Noting more frequent "region having trouble..." disconnects and such.  But if there is not now (or never was) any way possible to have a general public user on a never-cut-out internet connection because there is a list or reliances per viewer a mile long that can cut out at any second, then I find it difficult to blame the cloud.  

Though I have asked myself out of curiosity, has Amazon built into things a way to clean up the bottom-line, by building in auto-disconnect triggers, by their own definition of user "inactivity", regardless of any setting of "never" in the viewers for timeout and away-logout-timer.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Kyrie Deka said:

Though I have asked myself out of curiosity, has Amazon built into things a way to clean up the bottom-line, by building in auto-disconnect triggers, by their own definition of user "inactivity", regardless of any setting of "never" in the viewers for timeout and away-logout-timer.

There is no benefit for Amazon to do that. It unnecessarily disrupts the service and any hypothetical cost is something they can just absorb or pass onto LL.

On 12/24/2020 at 3:28 AM, Rat Luv said:

I think that's a simple viewer setting, not stored on any server. Whatever issue it is, it's almost definitely not cloud-related.

On 12/23/2020 at 9:36 PM, aquarius27 said:

is that why everything is running soooooo much better now   not 

On 12/23/2020 at 10:29 PM, FairreLilette said:

But, my machine runs way better in the cloud.

Any perceived performance increase is either placebo or coincidental (we did just get some viewer updates after all). "The cloud" affects networking (and server-side performance), but nothing on your computer. It's still the same traffic as before, it's just coming from a different place.

On 12/24/2020 at 3:20 AM, Tarina Sewell said:

Does this mean region pricing will go down?

Ideally, but LL probably wants to shift that income somewhere else rather than just get rid of it, like they did earlier with the Marketplace fee increase.

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator
  • Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1365 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.