Does everyone else have much more lag on the latest firestorm viewer?

ashlynkilane

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1173 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

12 minutes ago, Gage Wirefly said:

The water issue is nowhere near as severe as it was in the test versions, they fixed somthing, althought there is still a slight dip in fps with water for some reason. 

I see this note from Beq at a recent TPV meeting that might be the reason:

<key>FSAllowWaterDistortionOcclusion</key>
    <map>
      <key>Comment</key>
      <string>If allowed, object occlusion setting will be restored for generating the water reflection distortion. This was allowed pre-EEP and got disabled for EEP. While generating is more exact without occlusion, it can cause a huge performance impact.</string>

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Solar Legion said:

Well, you won't know if the water occlusion behavior will affect you until after you update. That particular bit is all client side.

No problem and good luck!

I have everything set up.. I went down by the water and everything is fine for me..

I did lose all my windlight settings in the install..I think I used an old settings folder or got my back up links messed up the last time I installed and backed up..

I went right to the water and trying different lighting and my frames were still going up.. So all is good for me..

I will say, this water here in the picture.. It actually made me thirsty to where i had to run to the kitchen to get some juice.. hehehehe

It looks much better in person than in the picture.. But I like it so far and glad I gave it a try..

50747040433_08ae03e773_b.jpg

Also, Remember when it used to take forever and a day for our inventories to load.. It only took like 30 seconds..  I remember those kinds of things and realize how much more it's improved over time since back then..All the trouble shooting we had to do as users has went down so much since then..:)

1 minute ago, Ceka Cianci said:

I have everything set up.. I went down by the water and everything is fine for me..

I did lose all my windlight settings in the install..I think I used an old settings folder or got my back up links messed up the last time I installed and backed up..

I went right to the water and trying different lighting and my frames were still going up.. So all is good for me..

I will say, this water here in the picture.. It actually made me thirsty to where i had to run to the kitchen to get some juice.. hehehehe

It looks much better in person than in the picture.. But I like it so far and glad I gave it a try..

50747040433_08ae03e773_b.jpg

Also, Remember when it used to take forever and a day for our inventories to load.. It only took like 30 seconds..  I remember those kinds of things and realize how much more it's improved over time since back then..All the trouble shooting we had to do as users has went down so much since then..:)

FPS aside, I have noticed things loading much faster overall, yes. also my bad - I should have warned you about the Windlight settings. I hope you didn't have irreplaceable custom ones! And do not try to restore the last settings backup you had either - there's enough of a difference with the EEP Viewer to make that backup potentially problematic.

If no one else does so, i can walk you through getting custom Windlight settings back/imported later on. not much to it though - you'll be importing XML files - the only bits of your prior backups you'll need to worry to much about.

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, FairreLilette said:

Oh, I see it now.  I didn't see that before.  But, when I said to the FS support team "the viewer texture memory buffer only goes to 512", I got no answer.  Mine didn't show any way to set it higher that I could see....?  I'm not sure what is up here on my end.  

Do you have AMD graphics by any chance? Someone stated in the support group that the feature is not supported by AMD cards in Windows.

1 minute ago, Solar Legion said:

FPS aside, I have noticed things loading much faster overall, yes. also my bad - I should have warned you about the Windlight settings. I hope you didn't have irreplaceable custom ones! And do not try to restore the last settings backup you had either - there's enough of a difference with the EEP Viewer to make that backup potentially problematic.

If no one else does so, i can walk you through getting custom Windlight settings back/imported later on. not much to it though - you'll be importing XML files - the only bits of your prior backups you'll need to worry to much about.

I didn't back up anything but chat logs and viewer settings.. all the rest gets dumped each time..

It's really running smooth for me..Actually smoother than my last version so far.. I'll see how it goes as the day goes on.. Also, I have the windlight settings somewhere on my desktop.. I lost them one time before and made sure I had them on hand if it ever happened again..hehehe

I'm really glad so far that i went for this viewer..

Just going through the different stock lightings in the list is amazing..All the clouds reflecting on the water.. It really feels much more alive on my land now..:)

8 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

I didn't back up anything but chat logs and viewer settings.. all the rest gets dumped each time..

It's really running smooth for me..Actually smoother than my last version so far.. I'll see how it goes as the day goes on.. Also, I have the windlight settings somewhere on my desktop.. I lost them one time before and made sure I had them on hand if it ever happened again..hehehe

I'm really glad so far that i went for this viewer..

Just going through the different stock lightings in the list is amazing..All the clouds reflecting on the water.. It really feels much more alive on my land now..:)

There's some lovely new lighting and sky settings, yes! And they can be traded/sold like any other asset now!

As an example of one, you can pop over to my linked Snapzilla - I'm in the process of adding in new snapshots for a friend's region and updated another entry in another album - said entry titled The Shadowcat.

ETA: Though it seems to be somewhat slower than normal for showing updates and such. You may have to click on the named image above to see the new one.

Edited by Solar Legion
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Gage Wirefly said:

That explains it. Just try unticking the dynamic texture setting and then the slider above it should allow you to set 2048 I would think. 

Okay, I will.  Funnily enough, when I made my new alt about oh 10 days ago, I went into the Second Life EEP viewer and had no problem but also had no inventory.  But the lighting was pretty.  When I went into the Second Life after clearing my inventory cache on this account, it was all way screwed up - all textures, so I've been through the wringer here for the last 8 days or so but I tested everything the FS support team gave me about fetching but as soon as I reinstalled the BOM viewer, all was fine..  Now, I think it will work as long as I can set it at 2048.  

Edited by FairreLilette
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Solar Legion said:

There's some lovely new lighting and sky settings, yes! And they can be traded/sold like any other asset now!

As an example of one, you can pop over to my linked Snapzilla - I'm in the process of adding in new snapshots for a friend's region and updated another entry in another album - said entry titled The Shadowcat.

ETA: Though it seems to be somewhat slower than normal for showing updates and such. You may have to click on the named image above to see the new one.

I found mine.. I had a feeling they would be close to my backup folder..hehehe

I will definitely stop over and have a look at yours for sure.. Thank you :)

Edited by Ceka Cianci

The dynamic texture memory was covered in the release note and also on Inara's post (scroll down the page) here: https://modemworld.me/2020/12/10/firestorm-6-4-12-the-eep-and-more-release/

Always good to read about what has changed. 

In general there is a lot of fps loss for some folks (this on the EEP thread) but it might be that the those with the issues haven't the ability to put their cache up again or don't know they need to.   

I did a test between the BOM viewer and the  current LINDEN viewer and had exactly the same fps.  So it isn't an EEP issue.  My guess is that it is either a wifi thing (I connect directly and have for a decade) OR an integrated video card problem (also a long time known factor).  But yes, lots of reports of reports. Whether folks can fix those with their settings, I don't know but trying seems like a first step. 

42 minutes ago, Solar Legion said:

I just went to put my windlight settings back in the directory and seen they are still in the windlight folder.. So I must have something unchecked or something..

It's probably something simple I'm just overlooking..

So I didn't really lose them, just don't have them turned on or something.. hehehe :$

50 minutes ago, Chic Aeon said:

The dynamic texture memory was covered in the release note and also on Inara's post (scroll down the page) here: https://modemworld.me/2020/12/10/firestorm-6-4-12-the-eep-and-more-release/

Always good to read about what has changed. 

Oooooooo, thank you, thank you, thank you!  Why didn't I think of that, duh.  I was wondering about that message of asking 'do you want it to be the default handler of all virtual worlds' thingie or however it's worded.  I think I checked no.  Above, it says to check yes.  I checked no because I don't have any other virtual worlds...I thought that might be for open sim people or something.  So, yes...I'll read all of that.  

It's so odd in this thread with the different user experiences.  

I also didn't want to bring my issues to the forum until I got through to FS support.  For some reason, I could type in FS support inworld group chat but the message would not go through.  I wanted to know what they might suggest first.  It took several days before I could get a message through to FS support inworld.  It finally went through and we went through the "fetching" thing and I checked everything BUT after that I knew I needed a time out to rest after checking all that.  

Edited by FairreLilette

8 minutes ago, FairreLilette said:

I was wondering about that message of asking 'do you want it to be the default handler of all virtual worlds' thingie or however it's worded.  I think I checked no.  Above, it says to check yes.  I checked no because I don't have any other virtual worlds...I thought that might be for open sim people or something. 

I'd only specify Yes if Firestorm was the only viewer I used.   

If someone tends to use multiple viewers -- Firestorm, Black Dragon, SL Viewer, Catznip, Singularity, etc... -- then that would be a reason to stick with a No response.  Otherwise, if you happen to be using Black Dragon for some photography and click on a SLURL in a browser, the system will start up the Firestorm viewer for you rather than passing the SLURL into Black Dragon.  Thus I prefer to keep the SLURL Proxy app as the handler for SLURLs and then just tell that app which viewer to use.

21 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I'd only specify Yes if Firestorm was the only viewer I used.   

If someone tends to use multiple viewers -- Firestorm, Black Dragon, SL Viewer, Catznip, Singularity, etc... -- then that would be a reason to stick with a No response.  Otherwise, if you happen to be using Black Dragon for some photography and click on a SLURL in a browser, the system will start up the Firestorm viewer for you rather than passing the SLURL into Black Dragon.  Thus I prefer to keep the SLURL Proxy app as the handler for SLURLs and then just tell that app which viewer to use.

Yeah, read it wrong.  This is why I need time after what I've been through.  I am waiting until after Christmas and going to be reading before I install it.  It's just I went through so much crap with all that testing with the fetching thing.  I'm frazzled and need to just relax through Christmas now.  zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz is me for a while.  I'm going to take it easy.

Did anyone lose any of their wind light settings installing this version?

I've put mine in every single sky folder there is, let alone they never left my settings folder i was backed up to..

I did a really clean uninstall and then made sure  all that was left was my backup folder..

Then reinstalled and still not getting my wind light settings to work.. I'm wondering if they are just not worded right anymore or I'm just not checking something that needs checked somewhere.. hehehe

This is driving me nuts, because they are either not any good anymore or I'm just not seeing something right in front of my face.. hehehe

12 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

Did anyone lose any of their wind light settings installing this version?

I've put mine in every single sky folder there is, let alone they never left my settings folder i was backed up to..

I did a really clean uninstall and then made sure  all that was left was my backup folder..

Then reinstalled and still not getting my wind light settings to work.. I'm wondering if they are just not worded right anymore or I'm just not checking something that needs checked somewhere.. hehehe

This is driving me nuts, because they are either not any good anymore or I'm just not seeing something right in front of my face.. hehehe

EEP REPLACES WINDLIGHT.   There are some of the old Windlight settings included in the viewer but they may or may not look like what you had under Windlight. If you made your own settings and still have them somewhere on your computer or on a backup then you can import them yourself.   You can get all the official Windlight settings converted to EEP for free on the Marketplace. Easy to find.   

EDIT: Best to do some reading up on EEP. Inara has a couple of long post I think and I have several on my blog also tagged "EEP" (well natch) including a how to make your first sky tutorial.   But if you are going to stick with the new FS viewer you NEED to understand EEP.

Edited by Chic Aeon

2 minutes ago, Chic Aeon said:

EEP REPLACES WINDLIGHT.   There are some of the old Windlight settings included in the viewer but they may or may not look like what you had under Windlight. If you made your own settings and still have them somewhere on your computer or on a backup then you can import them yourself.   You can get all the official Windlight settings converted to EEP for free on the Marketplace. Easy to find.   

I knew I had to be missing something..Thank you very much..

I don't think I have any hair left to pull out  right now.. hehehe

7 hours ago, FairreLilette said:

Isso é um visualizador do Inferno, tanto quanto eu estou preocupado. É horrível. Eu não trocaria muitos itens em minha casa; nem um prim com um convite para uma festa de Natal. O buffer de textura do visualizador só vai até 512 e não estava obtendo muitas das minhas texturas, enquanto o visualizador BOM vai para 2048. Estou de volta à edição do visualizador BOM agora. O buffer precisa ser mais alto, pois as skins de BOM serão 1024 agora. Estava batendo na minha pele também, ou em outras palavras, não era atraente.  

EDIT: Mais informações: Eu disse ao pessoal do suporte inworld Firestorm que o visualizador só tem um buffer de textura de 512. Então, perguntei ao suporte inworld FS ... "tem certeza de que não confundiu os visualizadores?" Para o qual não obtive resposta. Para 32 bits, o buffer de textura precisa estar em 512. Para 64 bits, precisa ser 2048. Então, não sei o que está acontecendo ou o que eles estão pensando aqui.  

I don't understand why it is limited to 512 for you in the latest version! Here it's normal.

4096.png

I hadnt checked prefs in the EEP yet but on the dynamic texture memory, it can go up to 4096 (prob can do more in a debug setting) plus you can set a cache reserve percent, and a physical memory reserve  percent. Seems better than clicking it off and using the static buffer set at max 2048. I have 6gig on my 1080, and if I need high graphics with everything on I always shut down all other apps running anyways

Edit in debug settings - there you;ll find 'FSDynamicTextureMemoryMinTextureMemory' so if you want more than 4096 - fiddle away!

Edited by Jackson Redstar

I've got an AMD Ryzen 3950X with a 6800XT it looks the same as my NVIDIA 2080 Business laptop...Strang thing is they both look the same...now 5 yrs ago when i had an old I-5 Intel PC that had no GPU my graphics looked twice as good on high settings then now so I'm kinda wondering how that could have been?

3 hours ago, Solar Legion said:

Sadly it seems the new snaps got stuck or something!

All the ones I had on my desktop were no good anymore, but did find them updated on the MP.. I wasn't really sure how they worked..

I didn't really understand what was going on or how to use them until I got the box from the MP and seen they went into my inventory..

I was finding all kinds of really amazing ones on there..  I got this one pack that has the northern lights which is really nice to watch..

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1173 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.