Boolean Search is Broke in the Community pages

LittleMe Jewell

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1208 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I reported this issue via a Support ticket and the answer I got was "Customer Support does not have any direct input in the features and functions on the Forums".   I wasn't asking LL specifically to fix it, but since LL is the customer of the Invision software used on the forums, I was reporting the problem to them so that they could report it to Invision.  I assume the function broke on the latest forum software rollout.  

In any case, since Support doesn't care about the issue, I figured I'd report it here in "Forum Feedback" in  the hopes that maybe someone at LL would care (IMO it is not a JIRA issue since this is not something that LL can probably directly fix).

Enter two or three words in the search box.  On the results page, look at what they show right under your search words.  It will be something like this:

image.png.6bd5ac57a58dad94cb81990e02305edd.png

The first option "linden premium renewal" would search for that exact phrase -- all 3 words together in that order.  That part still works.

The second option SHOULD do a boolean search -- and it USED TO, but not these days.

So, as the example shows, put the AND in there and you get things like the below, which is flagging the word "and" as being found - and the results do not necessarily have all 3 words, which is what the AND used to do:

image.png.02436fff2c6953ab00247705489a4356.png

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I reported this issue via a Support ticket and the answer I got was "Customer Support does not have any direct input in the features and functions on the Forums".   I wasn't asking LL specifically to fix it, but since LL is the customer of the Invision software used on the forums, I was reporting the problem to them so that they could report it to Invision.  I assume the function broke on the latest forum software rollout.  

In any case, since Support doesn't care about the issue, I figured I'd report it here in "Forum Feedback" in  the hopes that maybe someone at LL would care (IMO it is not a JIRA issue since this is not something that LL can probably directly fix).

Enter two or three words in the search box.  On the results page, look at what they show right under your search words.  It will be something like this:

The first option "linden premium renewal" would search for that exact phrase -- all 3 words together in that order.  That part still works.

The second option SHOULD do a boolean search -- and it USED TO, but not these days.

So, as the example shows, put the AND in there and you get things like the below, which is flagging the word "and" as being found - and the results do not necessarily have all 3 words, which is what the AND used to do:

Search inworld or on the website is borked as well.  If you search for a specific avatar, you MAY actually get their name to come up along with 48574373 other irrelevant things. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, RowanMinx said:

So I did a search on the website under People for @LittleMe Jewelland this is what I got

https://gyazo.com/e8a6f849cc20501aa2332da34c8db58e

That is still a "web search".  In the Firestorm viewer, there are tabs at the top of the search window that will let you do the old category legacy search:

image.png.fc0932ba825864ea6d452777cd96eb1f.png

Clicking any of the categories on the left is still part of Websearch -- see tabs at top.

However, if you actually click any of those other tabs, that throws you into the old legacy search system.  Searching LittleMe Jewell on the People tab will find me.

image.png.f4e9ee95e97cca5025cc3c4a74555732.png

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

That is still a "web search".  In the Firestorm viewer, there are tabs at the top of the search window that will let you do the old category legacy search: 

image.png.fc0932ba825864ea6d452777cd96eb1f.png

Clicking any of the categories on the left is still part of Websearch -- see tabs at top.

However, if you actually click any of those other tabs, that throws you into the old legacy search system.  Searching LittleMe Jewell on the People tab will find me.

image.png.f4e9ee95e97cca5025cc3c4a74555732.png

yes but what I'm saying is, it didn't used to do that.  If I searched your name on the web, it would at least be at the top.  It's not even on the first page.  Why not?

And I was searching in People tab so it should have given me less results

Edited by RowanMinx

2 minutes ago, RowanMinx said:

yes but what I'm saying is, it didn't used to do that.  If I searched your name on the web, it would at least be at the top.  It's not even on the first page.  Why not?

It isn't showing because I have my profile set to NOT show in search.  The websearch respects that setting, but the legacy search does not.

Which actually means the legacy search is wrong.

3 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

It isn't showing because I have my profile set to NOT show in search.  The websearch respects that setting, but the legacy search does not.

Which actually means the legacy search is wrong.

ok.  Well I did do a search just now that I did a few days ago when I got a million irrelevant results and it seems to be alright now.  I was searching for a store and got all this other stuff that had nothing to do with anything and what I wanted was way down the list.  Maybe just one of those oddball things like the traffic numbers being off?

11 minutes ago, RowanMinx said:

ok.  Well I did do a search just now that I did a few days ago when I got a million irrelevant results and it seems to be alright now.  I was searching for a store and got all this other stuff that had nothing to do with anything and what I wanted was way down the list.  Maybe just one of those oddball things like the traffic numbers being off?

Something is definitely hosed on general search -- it has been wonky for me for a while now.   Sometimes I can find the store I'm looking for and sometimes not. 
Search inworld is part of the viewer functionality, I think.  Whereas, the search of the Community pages is part of the Invision software, I think.  So, two different things all messed up right now.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/21/2020 at 12:25 PM, LittleMe Jewell said:

This *is* a viewer issue, which is why I've been tracking how it is broken for more than two weeks now over at the Tech forums under "Viewer". So go there and add your experience. It is indeed broken, in just the way it was broken in 2018 -- and BTW fixed in half a day back then, so now I guess either it is not acknowledge or something else is delaying it. But there was a JIRA back in 2018 and there is no reason there can't be one now. I'm banned from the JIRA for describing return of group-set items in a group where roles for return are restricted as a bug, not a feature.

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, Prokofy Neva said:

This *is* a viewer issue

I'm not talking about the Web Search related to any inworld stuff. 

I'm talking about the Search at the top of this page and every Forum page -- and that is part of the Invision Forum software:

image.png.e4f08d25b6f9db3a0b596412cb4382c5.png

• Like 2

Not to mention that the Linden Lab default Viewer's search is .... A Web Page Based Search that loads inside an internal Browser instance and is in no way just a Viewer related function.

Just like the Forum Search.

Funny how some don't grasp the difference between the varied systems ...

• Like 1

6 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I'm not talking about the Web Search related to any inworld stuff. 

I'm talking about the Search at the top of this page and every Forum page -- and that is part of the Invision Forum software:

image.png.e4f08d25b6f9db3a0b596412cb4382c5.png

Yeah, I get it. But BOTH are broken, and in the same way, even if different.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Solar Legion said:

Not to mention that the Linden Lab default Viewer's search is .... A Web Page Based Search that loads inside an internal Browser instance and is in no way just a Viewer related function.

Just like the Forum Search.

Funny how some don't grasp the difference between the varied systems ...

A web-based search that LOADS IN THE INTERNAL BROWSER IS A VIEWER ISSUE, DERP.

• Haha 1

No, it isn't - period.

It is loading an external web page into a web browser integrated into the viewr.

You will get the exact same error when using the search from the main Second Life page and search utility because that is what is being loaded into the internal web browser.

This is what is being loaded into that internal browser. It does not behave any differently when you load it from your Viewer than when you load it into an external browser.

It. Is. Not. A. Viewer. Issue.

Images to drive the above home, order is internal viewer browser instance followed by an external browser using the search utility from the Dashboard:

ViewerWebsearch.png.807b851fccac2cc97072724f07074bb6.png

ExternalBrowserSearch.thumb.png.26ae685d027b6ecbdb3d344f3ae278b0.png

Notice that there is no difference (aspect cutoff aside) whatsoever.

Edited by Solar Legion
  • Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1208 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.