Age confirmation of players

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 173 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

40 minutes ago, RowanMinx said:

But if someone tells you they are underage or role-playing under age, walk away.

I think everyone agrees with that.  Moreover, I am not a lawyer, but I suspect that if a person told you that he is an adult, and when registering with the SL indicated that he is an adult, there is a considerable chance that your fault will not be. Although I remember that in Scotland 15 years ago, such measures did not save one man from criminal prosecution and imprisonment.
Edited by 8Whip8
16 minutes ago, 8Whip8 said:
I think everyone agrees with that.  Moreover, I am not a lawyer, but I suspect that if a person told you that he is an adult, and when registering with the SL indicated that he is an adult, there is a considerable chance that your fault will not be. Although I remember that in Scotland 15 years ago, such measures did not save one man from criminal prosecution and imprisonment.

/me sighs

We could around and around all effing day on this.  If you are that concerned/afraid there is a simple solution.  Now, listen closely so I don't have to repeat myself (anymore)

DON'T ENGAGE IN SEXUAL RP WITH ANYONE IN SL.  Guaranteed to keep you out of trouble.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I have to say i think No one under age of 18 in real life shouldn't be on Second Life at all. Even in RP anyone who plays under 18 doing ERP is disgusting for that matter i mean its gross and I really wouldn't want to interact with minors or those who are roleplaying as under 18 that is why i chose SL don't want it be reckless like on Imvu. 

As for SL i really don't see underage besides some avatars looking like children or teenage where i tend to stay away from in all aspects. As for Imvu its more focused for kids and less for adults in the last few years. Take it from me I hate how Imvu has turned out and that is why I moved to SL to get away from the rampant kids running around pretending to be an adult. Good thing is SL complies with underage being caught while Imvu doesn't do anything when underage are on Imvu without parents permission. SL in my perspective has more of an adult community that is more apt to being adults than underage. 

Edited by FlameGirlHero
Added information
  • Like 1
4 minutes ago, FlameGirlHero said:

I have to say i think No one under age of 18 in real life shouldn't be on Second Life at all. Even in RP anyone who plays under 18 doing ERP is disgusting for that matter i mean its gross and I really wouldn't want to interact with minors or those who are roleplaying as under 18 that is why i chose SL don't want it be reckless like on Imvu. 

One is supposed to be 16, at a minimum, to create an account, and 16- and 17-year olds are limited by the system to "G" rated regions and "G" rated items in the Marketplace.   

If you are 18 or over in RL, yet are wearing an avatar that is clearly younger looking than 18, or you state your character is under 18, you can get permanently banned from SL for being involved in sexual situations.  

• Like 2
15 minutes ago, FlameGirlHero said:

As for SL i really don't see underage besides some avatars looking like children or teenage where i tend to stay away from in all aspects. As for Imvu its more focused for kids and less for adults in the last few years. Take it from me I hate how Imvu has turned out and that is why I moved to SL to get away from the rampant kids running around pretending to be an adult. Good thing is SL complies with underage being caught while Imvu doesn't do anything when underage are on Imvu without parents permission. SL in my perspective has more of an adult community that is more apt to being adults than underage. 

There are more underage people claiming to be adults on SL than you might think.  2 just recently that I personally know about.   The point being, you may never know.

Everyone has a personal risk profile that determines what risks they are willing to take. If the inability to confirm someone's age is outside of your risk profile, then engaging in sexual contact in second life is likely off the table. There are plenty of other things to be concerned about as well when engaging in ERP as well. Some folks do so behind the back of their RL spouse for instance.

For me, I need to know someone well enough to feel confident in their age. I avoid pursuing role play with anyone who shows red flags, especially when it comes to sexual content.

• Like 2
On 12/22/2020 at 12:45 AM, FlameGirlHero said:

I agree with you. In SL it is difficult to determine the age of an avatar, but those who are under the age of 21, in principle, are not interesting for me to play. Although it was said right here, we never know who will be behind our partner's avatar. To protect myself as much as possible from such a nuisance, I came to this conclusion. First, you need to look at the age of the avatar. If he is 5 years old, the player is most likely an adult. If 10 or more, this is almost guaranteed. Well, just in case, you need to ask the age when starting communication. This is if someone cares about the legal side of the issue. In case of possible problems, law enforcement agencies will most likely request information from LL, and this entry in the communication history will testify in your favor, I think. Well, I also found a user agreement on this site https://www.lindenlab.com/legal/second-life-terms-and-conditions . Here's what it says about age:

"2.2. Second Life Age and/or Location Verification for Moderate, Adult Only, and Skill Gaming.

In order to access Second Life regions or listings designated as "Moderate" or "Adult Only" Content (which Content may be explicitly sexual, intensely violent or otherwise designated as Adult under our Maturity Ratings ("Adult Only Content")), you affirm that you are at least eighteen (18) years of age, or the age of legal majority where you reside if that jurisdiction has an older age of majority. You further agree that as a condition to accessing Moderate and/or Adult Only Second Life, you will submit to account verification as required by Linden, and provide only true and accurate identification documentation to Linden Lab or its third party service providers to verify your age. You further acknowledge that you will comply with our Maturity Ratings, and conduct any activities we have defined as Moderate and/or Adult only within regions designated as Moderate and/or Adult."

2 hours ago, play1over said:

I agree with you. In SL it is difficult to determine the age of an avatar, but those who are under the age of 21, in principle, are not interesting for me to play. Although it was said right here, we never know who will be behind our partner's avatar. To protect myself as much as possible from such a nuisance, I came to this conclusion. First, you need to look at the age of the avatar. If he is 5 years old, the player is most likely an adult. If 10 or more, this is almost guaranteed. Well, just in case, you need to ask the age when starting communication. This is if someone cares about the legal side of the issue. In case of possible problems, law enforcement agencies will most likely request information from LL, and this entry in the communication history will testify in your favor, I think. Well, I also found a user agreement on this site https://www.lindenlab.com/legal/second-life-terms-and-conditions . Here's what it says about age:

"2.2. Second Life Age and/or Location Verification for Moderate, Adult Only, and Skill Gaming.

In order to access Second Life regions or listings designated as "Moderate" or "Adult Only" Content (which Content may be explicitly sexual, intensely violent or otherwise designated as Adult under our Maturity Ratings ("Adult Only Content")), you affirm that you are at least eighteen (18) years of age, or the age of legal majority where you reside if that jurisdiction has an older age of majority. You further agree that as a condition to accessing Moderate and/or Adult Only Second Life, you will submit to account verification as required by Linden, and provide only true and accurate identification documentation to Linden Lab or its third party service providers to verify your age. You further acknowledge that you will comply with our Maturity Ratings, and conduct any activities we have defined as Moderate and/or Adult only within regions designated as Moderate and/or Adult."

Although that clause in the agreement is valid, so is this

a contract signed by a minor is not valid. If your minor child has signed a contract for a non-essential item without your approval, the contract is invalid. Contracts signed by a minor are only valid if the parent or guardian consented to the contract. If the minor is emancipated and the court awarded them adult status, then their contracts are considered valid.

So basically, if you enter SL under 18 but claim to be 18,  you can't be held responsible as minors can not enter into an agreement without parental consent.

ETA.  I've also met several people over the years who purchased existing older accounts.  Not something you're allowed to do but some people still do.  So, even if that account is 10+ yrs old, there is no absolute guarantee the player behind it is the original.

@play1overNo matter how much you think you've figured it out, there is no absolute way for you to know the age (or sex) of the person behind the avatar.

Edited by RowanMinx
  • Like 1
42 minutes ago, Stephanie Misfit said:

Really worried about this? Make sure the person you are roleplaying with has payment info used and that their account is so old they could not possibly be underage any longer (10 years plus). Then just hope they haven't logged into their mother's account to play 🤣

Payment info is not age verification and plenty of people use older siblings accounts and like you mentioned, mom or dads.  Really worried means no pixel bumping whatsoever.

• Like 1
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 173 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.