Universal layer confusion

Rhys Goode

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1222 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I cannot figure out the universal layer.

I stand naked in my BOM-enabled mesh avatar, create, wear, and edit a new universal layer.

If I drop a texture into the Head Tattoo, Eye Tattoo, Upper Tattoo, or Lower Tattoo boxes, they instantly appear on my avatar, mapped according to the classic SL UV maps. I can then take the universal layer off, put it on, it behaves just as I expect.

If I drop a texture into any of the other boxes.... nothing happens. Well, the texture shows fine, in the box. but nothing seems to happen to the universal layer I am wearing on my avatar.

What am I missing?????  I am confused.

2 hours ago, Rhys Goode said:

I cannot figure out the universal layer.

I stand naked in my BOM-enabled mesh avatar, create, wear, and edit a new universal layer.

If I drop a texture into the Head Tattoo, Eye Tattoo, Upper Tattoo, or Lower Tattoo boxes, they instantly appear on my avatar, mapped according to the classic SL UV maps. I can then take the universal layer off, put it on, it behaves just as I expect.

If I drop a texture into any of the other boxes.... nothing happens. Well, the texture shows fine, in the box. but nothing seems to happen to the universal layer I am wearing on my avatar.

What am I missing?????  I am confused.

Your avatar needs to be set up to use those new "channels" and avatars currently on the market aren't. For instance, most current human mesh avatars use the standard SL skin layout, which uses a mirrored right arm texture on the left arm instead of a separate left arm texture. The "left"/"auxiliary" channels of a universal layer are provided to allow for future use cases.

• Head - The base avatar's head
  • Upper - The base avatar's torso and arms
  • Lower - The base avatar's pelvis and legs
  • Eyes - The base avatar's eyes

• Hair - The base avatar's hair
    • That's right, even when you're completely naked with everything detached, you still have hair!
    • 99% of the time, it's shrunk into your head so it cannot be seen. This is what it looks like:

69163c217f.png

• Skirt - The base avatar's skirt addon
    • This inclusion confuses me a little bit, but I guess it makes sense since it's a built-in component of the base avatar like the hair.
    • 99.9% of the time, it won't be seen. This is what it looks like:

949e46e26d.png

• Left Arm, Left Leg, Aux1, Aux2, Aux3 - Not used by the base avatar
    • These are brand new and came with the universal layer.
    • These must be assigned to attachments (either by hand or script) in order to be seen.
Edited by Wulfie Reanimator

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1222 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.