Oh my Gawd! - Totally unOfficial Pet Peeve Thread.

Sassy Kenin

Having to wrangle a 25lb gifted turkey when there's only 2 of us and I'm not supposed to lift more than 10 - 15 lbs. Of course, when I needed help, as usual, he had his damn headphones on so I can scream for help all I want, it won't be coming unless I drop what I am doing and go chase him down.

He wasn't the first to pull that kind of crap on me but he will be the last.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

Having to wrangle a 25lb gifted turkey when there's only 2 of us and I'm not supposed to lift more than 10 - 15 lbs. Of course, when I needed help, as usual, he had his damn headphones on so I can scream for help all I want, it won't be coming unless I drop what I am doing and go chase him down.

He wasn't the first to pull that kind of crap on me but he will be the last.

As sacrilegious as this may sound, while I would never let a turkey die in vain, I'd be cutting it up prior to cooking it, into two halves or portions. It still carves up nicely, it still tastes good with all the trimmings.  

But I'm in the UK, we don't do Thanksgiving. (Although I regularly give thanks for all I have.)

Totally peeved though at always being the one to end up in the kitchen stone cold sober every Christmas, I packed in all that malarkey a few years ago, and what a relief. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Marigold Devin said:

As sacrilegious as this may sound, while I would never let a turkey die in vain, I'd be cutting it up prior to cooking it, into two halves or portions. It still carves up nicely, it still tastes good with all the trimmings.  

But I'm in the UK, we don't do Thanksgiving. (Although I regularly give thanks for all I have.)

Totally peeved though at always being the one to end up in the kitchen stone cold sober every Christmas, I packed in all that malarkey a few years ago, and what a relief. 

I can't do my homemade cornbread stuffing if I cut up the bird. That is why it is called stuffing.

I stopped roasting whole turkeys over 20 years ago. When I did before they were never anywhere near 25lbs. That's enough to fed a dozen people with leftovers! Mine were never larger than 12 - 15 lbs and that fed 4 people with leftovers!

Of course, there's also the ham I bake.

That's what I like about Turkey Day and Christmas. I don't have to cook for days afterwards. 🤭

7 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

I can't do my homemade cornbread stuffing if I cut up the bird. That is why it is called stuffing.

I stopped roasting whole turkeys over 20 years ago. When I did before they were never anywhere near 25lbs. That's enough to fed a dozen people with leftovers! Mine were never larger than 12 - 15 lbs and that fed 4 people with leftovers!

Of course, there's also the ham I bake.

That's what I like about Turkey Day and Christmas. I don't have to cook for days afterwards. 🤭

We're a funny lot in the UK. We call it stuffing too, and sometimes we stuff the bird itself, but often we roll the stuffing into balls and call them stuffing balls, or we buy a tray of stuffing ready made with sausage meat and seasonings from good old Marks & Sparks (other stores are available). 

A 25lb turkey wouldn't fit in my brother's oven I don't think. It's identical to this one that Fanny Cradock cooks hers in - hers doesn't look anywhere near 25lbs. 

Cold cuts are pretty nice. I used to like a gammon joint most. Everyone in the UK jokes and groans about having to have turkey curry, turkey sandwiches, turkey bl**dy everything, for ages after Christmas. 

26 minutes ago, Marigold Devin said:

We're a funny lot in the UK. We call it stuffing too, and sometimes we stuff the bird itself, but often we roll the stuffing into balls and call them stuffing balls, or we buy a tray of stuffing ready made with sausage meat and seasonings from good old Marks & Sparks (other stores are available). 

A 25lb turkey wouldn't fit in my brother's oven I don't think. It's identical to this one that Fanny Cradock cooks hers in - hers doesn't look anywhere near 25lbs. 

Cold cuts are pretty nice. I used to like a gammon joint most. Everyone in the UK jokes and groans about having to have turkey curry, turkey sandwiches, turkey bl**dy everything, for ages after Christmas. 

This is the new one we bought when we moved in because we had to replace all of the appliances.

stainless-steel-samsung-single-oven-elec

That is the oven the 25lb turkey is in right this moment.  I'll have just enough room for the brown rice casserole and ham during the last hour or so. Just have to turn the roasting pan longways front to back.

I just do things the way my mom taught me adding my own little twists, embellishments and garnishes.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

This is the new one we bought when we moved in because we had to replace all of the appliances.

That is the oven the 25lb turkey is in right this moment.  I'll have just enough room for the brown rice casserole and ham during the last hour or so. Just have to turn the roasting pan longways front to back.

I just do things the way my mom taught me adding my own little twists, embellishments and garnishes.

I'm TPing right over :) (I don't mind washing up)

• Haha 1

We're having ham.  There's 5 of us this year instead of 15 and I don't even like turkey so it's all good.  He's still doing his crockpot dressing and all the rest.  

He hasn't stuffed a turkey the last 10 years.  The bird is done quicker and the crockpot recipe is to die for so at least not having a turkey won't effect the dressing/stuffing.  No giblet gravy, though.  😟

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

My husband cooks the turkeys on the smoker.  This year he is doing 2 22 lb birds, plus some extra legs for extra dark meat.  There will only be 5 of us, but we are intentionally cooking lots of extra to be frozen and used over the next 6 months or so.

Best turkey I ever had was smoked. It was also wild and Cajun injected with some hickory and green sassafras tossed on the coals.

Edit: Wild mint used to grow along the side of my old house. Mint on coals in a smoker is delish, too.

Edited by Silent Mistwalker
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Garnet Psaltery said:

It's everywhere in the UK, and nobody here even knows what it's about.  If we ever start eating turkeys on a special day in November I'm going to hide. :ph34r:

I've found that it is quite safe to ignore this event. 
I am currently looking for a browser extension which will ignore it for me and so save the mental effort.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

As things turned out, there wasn't enough room for the ham and brown rice casserole so, dinner was an hour late.

But we were still at the table eating by 6pm! Yay?

Edited by Silent Mistwalker

5 minutes ago, TDD123 said:

The lasting one that actually preserves threads, of course.. :|

Peeve: that I miss all the 'interesting' stuff. I only turned my back for five minutes and TWO threads were removed?! Darn. I could only see one that was sure to be gone and that was by the young man who is having difficulty getting along with people because he is rather rude and spks in txtspk all the time.