Oh my Gawd! - Totally unOfficial Pet Peeve Thread.

Sassy Kenin

11 minutes ago, Solar Legion said:

Well, hope the usual suspects are quite happy with getting that removed.

Right. So . . .

• Trans people talk about trans identity in a thread about gender identity.

• Those who don't like trans identities turn it into a contentious arena for debate about the existence or nature of trans identity.

• Mods decide the thread is "contentious" and remove it without warning or explanation

• Trans people are relegated to de facto invisibility on the forums, because their actual existence is "contentious," while those who oppose trans identity win the day through the simple act of arguing about it.

Nice work, Mods.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4
  • Confused 3

Pet Peeve:  Why didn't I know about this talented transgender woman until yesterday!  I need to do some research and keep up on things!

Edited by Luna Bliss
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Luna Bliss said:

I'm totally agreeing with Jordan and not arguing at all. Her post reminded me that yes, I too, am peeved by the misuse of this 'Karen' name-calling. Nobody should call her a 'Karen' for reminding others to remain on topic in a thread.

So my pet peeve is....people who misunderstand me.

Another peeve..people that make everything about them. I wasn't even referring to you. LOL

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, TDD123 said:

Peeve : Relentless gender-hysterics accumulating backlash instead of support.

Um.

First of all, no one who is defending their right to exist against those who think they are cosplaying another gender is being "hysterical." They are literally defending their right to be acknowledged for who they are. Want them to stop being "unrelenting"? How about just acknowledging them?

Second of all, "hysterics" is itself a gendered term of abuse, historically and etymologically used to attack "unreasoning" women.

And your response is a perfect example of why we need discussions about trans identity -- and why such discussions get nuked. So, thanks for that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 1

Hopefully this thread can be survive and not see it closed like some others.

1 hour ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:
  • Mods decide the thread is "contentious" and remove it without warning or explanation

Nice work, Mods.

Mods have to decide how to handle a questionable thread or post and the best method to get the thread re-railed, clean it up or place a lock on it. Not an easy job.

I'm an admin on a MS (Multiple sclerosis) board and like here threads run off the tracks all the time. When I removed a post or something I usually PM the poster my reasons. But depends on the Mod that happens to go by. Same here. Couple months ago a Mod here removed one of my post and sent a PM why he did. I said "sorry" and moved on. I was joking about something and probably hit him wrong.

• Like 3

Just saw that the other thread was closed. Horrible news.

cries-gif-7.gif

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, Kimmi Zehetbauer said:

Hopefully this thread can be survive and not see it closed like some others.

Mods have to decide how to handle a questionable thread or post and the best method to get the thread re-railed, clean it up or place a lock on it. Not an easy job.

I'm an admin on a MS (Multiple sclerosis) board and like here threads run off the tracks all the time. When I removed a post or something I usually PM the poster my reasons. But depends on the Mod that happens to go by. Same here. Couple months ago a Mod here removed one of my post and sent a PM why he did. I said "sorry" and moved on. I was joking about something and probably hit him wrong.

I get it, Kimmi. It's hard being a mod. And the amount of work it would take to selectively remove abusive posts from a thread like that would be considerable.

But the impact of simply nuking a thread that was largely about explaining and defending trans identity is something that also needs to be considered. Simply removing an entire thread in which trans people were explaining who they are, and why they need to be acknowledged, because there was "disagreement" and maybe even some abusive language (although to be honest, I don't recall seeing anything like that) sends the message that we are not welcome to talk about trans people here because it will cause arguments.

As difficult as it might be to police a thread like that with sensitivity to those who are literally asserting their right to be acknowledged for who they are, care needs to be taken NOT to telegraph a really hurtful message.

This should have been handled better.

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

we are not welcome to talk about trans people here because it will cause arguments.

We aren't welcome to talk about anything that can or will cause an argument. They pretty much wish we would all leave the forum so they could shut it down and not have to deal with people at all. Similar to what was done with support. Squelch it until there's almost nothing left.

Edited by Silent Mistwalker
  • Like 5

1 minute ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

We aren't welcome to talk about anything that can or will cause an argument. They pretty much wish we would all leave the forum so they could shut it down and not have to deal with people at all. Similar to what was done with support. Squelch it until there's almost nothing left.

There is nothing preventing them from simply shutting the forum itself down without any sort of explanation or warning.

Nothing.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

Even though I do use the forums I think the platform would benefit greatly by shutting down the forums and leaving just the help portion up.

1 minute ago, Solar Legion said:

There is nothing preventing them from simply shutting the forum itself down without any sort of explanation or warning.

Nothing.

Except that such a thing has been done on other virtual world resulting in a loss of community that has in turn led to that world starting to die.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Kimmi Zehetbauer said:

A lot of things would have to be weighed on. This forum has a lot of sections other then this catagory like the land chat, how to fine toon your character, etc.

No, nothing needs to be weighted. At all. Not if they ever decide to shut the forum down.

As a general comment: I am very aware that this thread could also end up axed ... and right now? I don't really care. I'm more than fed up with this BS.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1