Jump to content

Oh my Gawd! - Totally unOfficial Pet Peeve Thread.


Sassy Kenin

Recommended Posts

When people wonder why people get weird when they get random IMs, this is why!

[08:52] (redacted): haii
[08:52] (janet.voxel): Hey, whats up
[08:52] (redacted): your avi are so cute!
[08:52] (janet.voxel): Ty mama! ❤️
[08:54] (redacted): np luv!!
[08:54] (redacted): can you donate for me 150 l$ for me join on __________ group and get the gifts hairs plase?

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Groups that think they need to send out notices trying to encourage specific behavior -- not behavior in chat, but behavior in the areas that we live in (not private estates).

Being the rebel that I am, it makes me want to immediately log in and start doing the things they say that I shouldn't do if I want to "be a good neighbor".

 

  • Like 2
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

SIdeways photos. Actually my true peeve is with the flickr "banner" or whatever you call it. An utterly ill-conceived image format for a website dedicated to showing off photographs.  Nevertheless, chasing featured group banners by tilting all your photos sideways is dumb. Sorry!

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, missyrideout said:

SIdeways photos. Actually my true peeve is with the flickr "banner" or whatever you call it. An utterly ill-conceived image format for a website dedicated to showing off photographs.  Nevertheless, chasing featured group banners by tilting all your photos sideways is dumb. Sorry!

Or those shooting pics with their phones shooting vertical instead of horizontal. Perfect examples are videos of trains on Youtube. I even made comments about that one one of the videos and got a snarky reply "I shoot for my phone, not for your ancient *** PC."

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Kimmi Zehetbauer said:

Or those shooting pics with their phones shooting vertical instead of horizontal. Perfect examples are videos of trains on Youtube. I even made comments about that one one of the videos and got a snarky reply "I shoot for my phone, not for your ancient *** PC."

Except my pc isn't even a month old yet.

oops

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

One peeve my man just mentioned --- A MMORPG he plays just got booted off AWS (Amazon Web Services) about a week ago for having the characters do something that might look like an "adult act" when it was a special hug and dance when they win a round in a Citadel battle thing. This is tame compared to SL!

The toons are not even naked although the female ones are kinda skimpy, which is the norm for most MMOs. The publisher did find non-AWS servers to host the game.

  • Sad 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Coffee Pancake said:

This is why I hate Queen.

My Joker origin story started the same way. That's how I came to hate techno dance music.

"...thumpa-thumpa-thumpa..."

 

4 hours ago, Kimmi Zehetbauer said:

Reminds of those that come to your RL bar and try to out blast the DJ's system with a crappy phone.

LOL. What did they hope to prove?  That's like bringing silly string to a gunfight.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

When creators misspell simple things, making it harder to find in an inventory search

Type in "cute choker"

no, it's not there....You know you bought it at the Supasexi event a couple months ago.

5 mins later...now you're looking for the store name: It's {gfhfnk}wtf#

Oh, found it, its spelled "cute chocker"...

Blog-ianna | Eriannaspeaks

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, Janet Voxel said:

When creators misspell simple things, making it harder to find in an inventory search

Type in "cute choker"

no, it's not there....You know you bought it at the Supasexi event a couple months ago.

5 mins later...now you're looking for the store name: It's {gfhfnk}wtf#

Oh, found it, its spelled "cute chocker"...

Blog-ianna | Eriannaspeaks

 

One I've seen a bit too much of lately is "collar" or "collor" for color/colour. 

If English isn't your native language and you need to use English, please, double check your translations and spellings.

Here's a neat little time saver trick, after translating into English, translate the English right back into your language and see if it makes sense.

For instance:

Life lies dumb on its heros.

French (according to Google): La vie est muette sur ses héros.

French above translated back into English: Life is silent on its heroes.

In this case translating back into English changes the wording which changes the meaning. That's the whole point of double checking to avoid misunderstandings.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

One I've seen a bit too much of lately is "collar" or "collor" for color/colour.

   I generally write in British English, so it has happened a few times that I've searched for things like 'armour' on the marketplace and got very few results because most listings only have the American English abomin-- I mean, spelling variation. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Orwar said:

   I generally write in British English, so it has happened a few times that I've searched for things like 'armour' on the marketplace and got very few results because most listings only have the American English abomin-- I mean, spelling variation. 

LL is an American company so it kind of stands to reason. Why not toss out the extra letters that aren't really needed? I mean, armour is sooo close to amour (not the movie) but they don't even come close to meaning the same thing. Same with armor and amor (Spanish for love).

6e9.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

Why not toss out the extra letters that aren't really needed?

   ye we cn al be talkin lik dis nsted n ad sum hiroglyfs to smil wid.

  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

55 minutes ago, Orwar said:

   I generally write in British English, so it has happened a few times that I've searched for things like 'armour' on the marketplace and got very few results because most listings only have the American English abomin-- I mean, spelling variation. 

Looking back, I can see when American and Australian men were making an effort with me because they were using British English terms.

Or maybe they just knew how hard I'd laugh if they told me about their pants and thongs.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Orwar said:

   I generally write in British English, so it has happened a few times that I've searched for things like 'armour' on the marketplace and got very few results because most listings only have the American English abomin-- I mean, spelling variation. 

And I been writing more Canadian English since I moved up here a few years back due to my man's family being here. Now I need to think of a new colour for my bar's party room! :D

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Amina Sopwith said:

Or maybe they just knew how hard I'd laugh if they told me about their pants and thongs.

   I'd bought a few pairs of the garment/accessory used to keep one's trousers up via straps going over one's shoulders. On the packaging it was printed in a few different languages, but the English word used was 'suspenders'.

   They looked at me funny when I ran around in London asking in various clothing stores asking whether they sold any. At some point, a somewhat confused-looking lady told me there might be something in the women's department, and I, equally confused, went to stroll around there for a bit. Finally, since I were wearing a pair at the time (though not over my shoulders), I lifted it as I asked someone and they stared at me for a moment before asking whether I might mean 'braces'.

   I then found out that 'suspenders' in British English are .. Well, the straps that hold up stockings in garter belts ..

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...