Jump to content

Oh my Gawd! - Totally unOfficial Pet Peeve Thread.


Sassy Kenin

Recommended Posts

15 minutes ago, Kimmi Zehetbauer said:

Caution, this might be a TL;DR to some....

Super big pet peeve that recently happened to me with the re-openings --- stores using facial recognition as part of their security. We went to a market and moments later a store manager type and a security dude approached me saying I was not permitted in the store due for shoplifting. I said WTH and he said the stores FR cam matched me with someone else who stole from the store, but I told him I'm not that person. I was told the FR is 100% accurate but I said it's not as many get mistaken, especially people of colour like me.

He said I needed to get off the property immediately or he would need to call the police if I didn't leave. I said please do. He said he could have 2 of his strongest employees physically remove us but I said if he did his business is looking for a lawsuit. He proceeded to call the police and when they got there and we explained what was going on, the cop told the manager my civil rights were being violated and the province does not allow use for FR. The manager got more mad but just went back into the building in disgust. Couple of the bystanders that filmed it will send me the video, which might be use for a possible legal case.

What an absolute jerk.  I was about to grumble about my updated Lelutka head but that's so trivial in comparison.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Kimmi Zehetbauer said:

Caution, this might be a TL;DR to some...

   Ugh, that sucks. One would think that if someone got caught shoplifting they would have to be identified properly (via license - I'm not sure what ones are common in the US, but here you can use either a driver's license, passport, or personal ID card), rather than just picking on people because of what a facial recognition software says (which most certainly is not 'almost 100% accurate').

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Kimmi Zehetbauer said:

Caution, this might be a TL;DR to some....

Super big pet peeve that recently happened to me with the re-openings --- stores using facial recognition as part of their security. We went to a market and moments later a store manager type and a security dude approached me saying I was not permitted in the store due for shoplifting. I said WTH and he said the stores FR cam matched me with someone else who stole from the store, but I told him I'm not that person. I was told the FR is 100% accurate but I said it's not as many get mistaken, especially people of colour like me.

He said I needed to get off the property immediately or he would need to call the police if I didn't leave. I said please do. He said he could have 2 of his strongest employees physically remove us but I said if he did his business is looking for a lawsuit. He proceeded to call the police and when they got there and we explained what was going on, the cop told the manager my civil rights were being violated and the province does not allow use for FR. The manager got more mad but just went back into the building in disgust. Couple of the bystanders that filmed it will send me the video, which might be use for a possible legal case.

 

Do it. Don't let them get away with the profiling. They are not professionals and it's just flat out wrong to profile all non white customers. 🤬

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

@LittleMe Jewell

Sorry. Once me and my weird sense of humor have been let out of the box, there's no stuffing us back in and returning us.

No worries - I slept late this morning and still trying to get my foggy brain going.  

Since my original post was about someone else, I was confused on yours, not knowing if you were being comical or felt slighted.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

No worries - I slept late this morning and still trying to get my foggy brain going.  

Since my original post was about someone else, I was confused on yours, not knowing if you were being comical or felt slighted.

Honestly? A little of both but more humor than anything else. I have been person A a couple of times but I don't always say anything.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, Kimmi Zehetbauer said:

Caution, this might be a TL;DR to some....

Super big pet peeve that recently happened to me with the re-openings --- stores using facial recognition as part of their security. We went to a market and moments later a store manager type and a security dude approached me saying I was not permitted in the store due for shoplifting. I said WTH and he said the stores FR cam matched me with someone else who stole from the store, but I told him I'm not that person. I was told the FR is 100% accurate but I said it's not as many get mistaken, especially people of colour like me.

He said I needed to get off the property immediately or he would need to call the police if I didn't leave. I said please do. He said he could have 2 of his strongest employees physically remove us but I said if he did his business is looking for a lawsuit. He proceeded to call the police and when they got there and we explained what was going on, the cop told the manager my civil rights were being violated and the province does not allow use for FR. The manager got more mad but just went back into the building in disgust. Couple of the bystanders that filmed it will send me the video, which might be use for a possible legal case.

OH HELL NO

Name and shame. Involve the local media. Get a lawyer. FR is not dependable, highly likely to be inherently racist based on the training data.

This is absolutely abhorrent. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Coffee Pancake said:

OH HELL NO

Name and shame. Involve the local media. Get a lawyer. FR is not dependable, highly likely to be inherently racist based on the training data.

This is absolutely abhorrent. 

We have gotten a lawyer already and waiting for the video from the bystanders so we can give this some meat. Not taking this laying down. Since we're an interracial couple we been through and seen a lot over the decades.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, Kimmi Zehetbauer said:

Caution, this might be a TL;DR to some....

Super big pet peeve that recently happened to me with the re-openings --- stores using facial recognition as part of their security. We went to a market and moments later a store manager type and a security dude approached me saying I was not permitted in the store due for shoplifting. I said WTH and he said the stores FR cam matched me with someone else who stole from the store, but I told him I'm not that person. I was told the FR is 100% accurate but I said it's not as many get mistaken, especially people of colour like me.

He said I needed to get off the property immediately or he would need to call the police if I didn't leave. I said please do. He said he could have 2 of his strongest employees physically remove us but I said if he did his business is looking for a lawsuit. He proceeded to call the police and when they got there and we explained what was going on, the cop told the manager my civil rights were being violated and the province does not allow use for FR. The manager got more mad but just went back into the building in disgust. Couple of the bystanders that filmed it will send me the video, which might be use for a possible legal case.

I have experienced similar with a cell phone kiosk when I stopped by to check out their new phones as my old one was paid and I was thinking of a new one. It was the same place I had already bought 3 before and referred a number of friends to. The salesgirl was relatively new and did not know me but thought she recognized me as someone who had caused trouble there before and therefore asked me to move on. She called the assistant manager over when I didn't cooperate asking her for verification. He insisted I leave too threatening me with the security guard and/or the police if I didn't. I decided to leave as it was obvious I was not going to get a chance to look at the phones and it wasn't worth it to push the issue. Couple days later I was in the mall to shop at a different store and had to walk by the kiosk but this time the manager who knew me saw me and he rushed right over apologizing profusely for what happened and mentioning he had fired both the salesgirl and assistant manager when he heard of what happened and saw the clear misidentification from the old and new video. 

I did get a pretty good deal on my new phone as a result though I was a bit sorry the two lost their jobs over it. An apology would have sufficed and hopefully more care paid to the potential of mistaken identity in future.

  • Like 1
  • Sad 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

People who are easily fooled by impersonators if they opt to not show usernames in their settings. Imposters could put in an existing username of any resident as their display name and those idiots wouldn't know who they're really talking to.  Gullible people... are they fking kidding me?!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Today's peeve - the death of the art of conversation.

In my desperation for some life and interaction in my SL, I reactivated my profile on a certain SL friendship/relationship website.  This site has the option to send a little "note" first to test out things without having to waste the tokens this site runs on if the person you message isn't interested.  So if I receive a note, it usually says something like "Hi" or "I think we have a lot in common" blah blah blah, so I send a "Hi" back....and then its radio silence.  I get no further messages, notes or contact from the person who contacted me.

It makes me think of the interactions I get in SL.

Them - Hi
Me - Hi there.
Them - How are you?
Me - Doing good tonight, how about you?
Them - I'm good too.
*ten minutes of silence*
Them - Well I guess you're busy.

It's like SERIOUSLY?   YOU APPROACHED ME!!!!  You expect ME to carry the conversation?  

And I wonder why I think there really IS something wrong with me, and fast losing my will to log in.

  • Like 1
  • Sad 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, Jordan Whitt said:

Today's peeve - the death of the art of conversation.

In my desperation for some life and interaction in my SL, I reactivated my profile on a certain SL friendship/relationship website.  This site has the option to send a little "note" first to test out things without having to waste the tokens this site runs on if the person you message isn't interested.  So if I receive a note, it usually says something like "Hi" or "I think we have a lot in common" blah blah blah, so I send a "Hi" back....and then its radio silence.  I get no further messages, notes or contact from the person who contacted me.

It makes me think of the interactions I get in SL.

Them - Hi
Me - Hi there.
Them - How are you?
Me - Doing good tonight, how about you?
Them - I'm good too.
*ten minutes of silence*
Them - Well I guess you're busy.

It's like SERIOUSLY?   YOU APPROACHED ME!!!!  You expect ME to carry the conversation?  

And I wonder why I think there really IS something wrong with me, and fast losing my will to log in.

From the front page of my profile

If you say "r u" because it's shorter than "are you", I'll say "no" because it's shorter than "yes". Other than that, I'm IM friendly. However, please don't IM me with /me smiles. This shifts the responsibility of the conversation onto me whereas it should remain with you. Also, a 'hello' is fine but don't expect me to respond with more than the same. Have we all lost the art of conversing?

Whenever I make that first contact, it is ALWAYS with something I've read in their profile.  Whether it's a place they have in their picks or something else I found interesting, it's something with which to start a dialog.  It's also never ever, " Great looking av.".  If it's something specific about their avatar I find interesting, I may comment on that as well.

The worst is the HI back and forth followed by 5-10 minutes of nothing until they come back with, "So, do you come here a lot?"  Why do you bother IMing me in the first place if you aren't focused on talking to me?

Trust me, it's not you.  It's them.

Edited by Rowan Amore
  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Rowan Amore said:

From the front page of my profile

If you say "r u" because it's shorter than "are you", I'll say "no" because it's shorter than "yes". Other than that, I'm IM friendly. However, please don't IM me with /me smiles. This shifts the responsibility of the conversation onto me whereas it should remain with you. Also, a 'hello' is fine but don't expect me to respond with more than the same. Have we all lost the art of conversing?

Whenever I make that first contact, it is ALWAYS with something I've read in their profile.  Whether it's a place they have in their picks or something else I found interesting, it's something with which to start a dialog.  It's also never ever, " Great looking av.".  If it's something specific about their avatar I find interesting, I may comment on that as well.

The worst is the HI back and forth followed by 5-10 minutes of nothing until they come back with, "So, do you come here a lot?"  Why do you bother IMing me in the first place if you aren't focused on talking to me?

Trust me, it's not you.  It's them.

 

This.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Kimmi Zehetbauer said:

We have gotten a lawyer already and waiting for the video from the bystanders so we can give this some meat. Not taking this laying down. Since we're an interracial couple we been through and seen a lot over the decades.

Get a photo of a fat Rs off the internet, go see the "expert" at the store and say "Ok I believe your recognition system is accurate, here's a photo of YOUR face that it took".

Seriously that is just absolutely disgraceful Kimmi.
I apologise on the imbeciles behalf.
Ensure he gets a good azzwhippin in court.

Edited by Maryanne Solo
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Jordan Whitt said:

Today's peeve - the death of the art of conversation.

It makes me think of the interactions I get in SL.

Them - Hi
Me - Hi there.
Them - How are you?
Me - Doing good tonight, how about you?
Them - I'm good too.
*ten minutes of silence*
Them - Well I guess you're busy.

It's like SERIOUSLY?   YOU APPROACHED ME!!!!  You expect ME to carry the conversation?  

And I wonder why I think there really IS something wrong with me, and fast losing my will to log in.

Oh no….this happens often. I think a lot of people think a conversation is a one for one thing. Where they say something, you must respond, but after “I’m good too” there isn’t really much to say to someone you don’t  know. So they basically painted themselves into a corner.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Okay, I have a new one ... not directed at anyone specific in the land forms ...

It should be a REQUIREMENT when posting a parcel, sim, lots, for sale or rent, that you MUST always include the ...

Price and rating.

I am often not in world and simply browsing potential buys/rents on the forums, and a seller/renter could make it easy if they put those items into their listing instead of making everyone jump into game to their landmark to find those two basic and important pieces of information out.

How hard would that be?

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/18/2021 at 9:47 PM, Jordan Whitt said:

Today's peeve - the death of the art of conversation.

In my desperation for some life and interaction in my SL, I reactivated my profile on a certain SL friendship/relationship website.  This site has the option to send a little "note" first to test out things without having to waste the tokens this site runs on if the person you message isn't interested.  So if I receive a note, it usually says something like "Hi" or "I think we have a lot in common" blah blah blah, so I send a "Hi" back....and then its radio silence.  I get no further messages, notes or contact from the person who contacted me.

It makes me think of the interactions I get in SL.

Them - Hi
Me - Hi there.
Them - How are you?
Me - Doing good tonight, how about you?
Them - I'm good too.
*ten minutes of silence*
Them - Well I guess you're busy.

It's like SERIOUSLY?   YOU APPROACHED ME!!!!  You expect ME to carry the conversation?  

And I wonder why I think there really IS something wrong with me, and fast losing my will to log in.

Happens to me as well. I think a lot of people come on SL for others to entertain them, like Rowan said. They do not have conversation skills and do not wish to even learn them to better themselves. They just want easy entertainment from someone to make their SL not boring.

So. Damn. Annoying.

And the text speak, ughhhhhhhhhh. *Shakes fists in the air*

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/18/2021 at 10:05 PM, Rowan Amore said:

From the front page of my profile

If you say "r u" because it's shorter than "are you", I'll say "no" because it's shorter than "yes". Other than that, I'm IM friendly. However, please don't IM me with /me smiles. This shifts the responsibility of the conversation onto me whereas it should remain with you. Also, a 'hello' is fine but don't expect me to respond with more than the same. Have we all lost the art of conversing?

Whenever I make that first contact, it is ALWAYS with something I've read in their profile.  Whether it's a place they have in their picks or something else I found interesting, it's something with which to start a dialog.  It's also never ever, " Great looking av.".  If it's something specific about their avatar I find interesting, I may comment on that as well.

The worst is the HI back and forth followed by 5-10 minutes of nothing until they come back with, "So, do you come here a lot?"  Why do you bother IMing me in the first place if you aren't focused on talking to me?

Trust me, it's not you.  It's them.

I had two of my accounts on at the same time at a beach.. they were not near each other. About 5 men IMed them both with the same line. I think a lot of men just go down the list of females, IMing them and seeing if they can get a response from anyone. Then they will juggle a few IMs and see which woman will be the "easiest to get in sl bed" lol. They think we are stupid.

Edited by xoRenaxo
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Okay, so I have yet another one. This one is more personal, since I seem to be the only one who wants this fixed due to my particular situation.

I'm an artist (here and RL). I have a MP store, and also a gallery where I show my work full size so potential buyers and art lovers can see the real thing, but I do not sell my work from my gallery. Why?

Mainly because my SL paintings are all one-of-a-kind. I only sell one of each piece. Just like RL. So there is no current way in SL for me to link the sale of a piece in the MP store with the one displaying in the gallery or vice versa. So when a piece sells from my MP I have to log into SL, TP to the gallery, and replace that piece with a sold sign. Here's what I'd like to have happen in SL ...

If it sold in the MP, the gallery version vanishes (or gets a sold sticker attached, whatever). But the big ask? If I set up my art to be able to buy directly in my gallery while someone is looking at it, I'd love to see it and the listing (since there is only one) vanish from my MP store.

It may be my pet peeve, but it's still a pet peeve. :)

Edited by Katherine Heartsong
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/18/2021 at 1:52 PM, Eddy Vortex said:

@Kimmi Zehetbauer This is absolutely shameful.  The facial recognition excuse is complete horse manure.  Go scorched-earth on them.

Update: The store that where the facial recognition got me wrong is still not backing down and was told by our lawyer that their provider of the FR (a major company who's boxes has that smile thing on them) is also backing them up. There is more to that, but those will come up in court since it's not public information. It's going to be interesting battling the big boys.

  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, Kimmi Zehetbauer said:

Update: The store that where the facial recognition got me wrong is still not backing down and was told by our lawyer that their provider of the FR (a major company who's boxes has that smile thing on them) is also backing them up. There is more to that, but those will come up in court since it's not public information. It's going to be interesting battling the big boys.

Time to get the media involved. Obviously, be very careful who you choose. Local news stations would likely be best to start. Get the word out, let it spread, and that smiley face just might realize they backed the wrong horse.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

Time to get the media involved. Obviously, be very careful who you choose. Local news stations would likely be best to start. Get the word out, let it spread, and that smiley face just might realize they backed the wrong horse.

This.. they have more to fear from public opinion that anything legal.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Kimmi Zehetbauer said:

Update: The store that where the facial recognition got me wrong is still not backing down and was told by our lawyer that their provider of the FR (a major company who's boxes has that smile thing on them) is also backing them up. There is more to that, but those will come up in court since it's not public information. It's going to be interesting battling the big boys.

I know you're not a fan of social media, but its very good for situations like this.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...