Oh my Gawd! - Totally unOfficial Pet Peeve Thread.

Sassy Kenin

1 hour ago, Seicher Rae said:

Peeve: Adulting

Oh, not the word. I think that is one of the best "new" words ever. Very useful. No, peeved at the action. All forms of adulting. Totally overrated.

Also I was told that men don't use the word adulting. Is this true? This could be the next thing since "voice verified"! If the cute Barbie Doll avie can't say "adulting" then... male! It is a theory in process...

7-year-old me would be very disappointed to learn that adulting isn't all it's cracked up to be.

No idea on men using 'adulting' rule. Could be an interesting litmus test to suss out catfish anglers and whatnot. I thought using "adulting" and verbing other nouns is a thing millennials of all genders do.  But what does this old fart know about young people's jargon anyway? I was definitely told that old people shouldn't try to use the newest lingos; doing so wouldn't make them "extra" or get "stan", and would make them more unhip than they already are.

Edited by Eddy Vortex
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, CaerolleClaudel said:

I wonder if it could be that the Forums do not make them any money. Seems like I have seen people write that they don’t go into SL much anymore, just talk on the Forums. Of course, if the Forums get less interesting or more rigid (pased those points for me long ago), that doesn’t mean that those people will go spend time in SL. But who knows. Maybe they are trying to sell the company again and usually the suits want as little controversy as possible at such times.

While the forums don't create income for LL directly, some of the active threads here do encourage people to spend money on and in SL. The folks playing Game of Homes, for instance, usually have several Premium accounts. People discuss buying mesh  bodies and heads, furnishings, clothes, skins, and even land. I'm sure these discussions encourage sales. When new users come onto the forums feeling confused or frustrated about problems they're having inworld, on Marketplace, or with customer support, the forum regulars usually help them sort out their problem and feel more comfortable using the SL platform. This must also translate into more revenue for LL down the line.

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, Eddy Vortex said:

7-year-old me would be very disappointed to learn that adulting isn't all it's cracked up to be.

No idea on men using 'adulting' rule. Could be an interesting litmus test to suss out catfish anglers and whatnot. I thought using "adulting" and verbing other nouns is a thing millennials of all genders do.  But what does this old fart know about young people's jargon anyway? I was definitely told that old people shouldn't try to use the newest lingos; doing so wouldn't make them "extra" or get "stan", and would make them more unhip than they already are.

This is just basic, dude.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Cinnamon Mistwood said:

I wonder what the forums would look like if the 20 most prolific posters took 3 days off.  

Peeve:  I have no imagination to work with, so I can't picture this.  This is a lifetime peeve.

Y'all would miss us. Maybe.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Peeve 1 - Six pages of peeves to catch up reading...and most of the posts were about how boring the boards are, which bored me having to read!

Peeve 2 - Having to practice my adulting by biting my tongue, sitting on my hands and not responding to some comments I found quite offensive....which considering it takes a lot to offend me is saying something!

Peeve 3 - Another week without my car!!!!  But at least my auto electrician FINALLY found me a new airbag for my car!  Only gonna cost me $500 + whatever he's gonna charge me for putting it in.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 4

2 hours ago, Jordan Whitt said:

Peeve 2 - Having to practice my adulting by biting my tongue, sitting on my hands and not responding to some comments I found quite offensive....which considering it takes a lot to offend me is saying something!

Sorry!

10 hours ago, Gabriele Graves said:

Over the years that the inworld ban has been active, I have seen no evidence that it deterred people from causing a problem here.  Mostly like the ones who intend to cause mischief have already established an alt to try to protect their main.  It may or may not work to protect it but it didn't deter them from attempting it either.

I can't (yet) speak to "now" but then, including right before I left here for 2 years:

The ARs were being gamed and the reports didn't seem to be given much room for "context" or "who started it" but just looked at, shrugged and BAM! So they were rather ridiculous and very uneven. For you see, the "trouble makers" were the ones to do the AR game. So their targets got hit. The "targets" (like me) don't AR often, and don't game the system. You can see the problem. The troublemakers therefore remain (to this day) while the targets (me and MANY others who are no longer here) panic because "crap! I just got a 5-day ban! for THAT? ok, I'm outta here!"

Hooking up inworld bans to forum posts is just... stupid. Ban from the forum, if one must, but hopefully if that happens it is made with a full context of the situation. There are people out there who target others... not with responses, but baiting and trolling to get a rise out of the targets. Due to my PTSD I'm not always the best at resisting the bait. I'm getting better at it, but 2 years ago I wasn't, and did what I needed to: leave. Both to preserve what sanity I have left and also not to get permabanned inworld because of a vicious little troll.

ETA: In case anyone missed it, since I didn't say it explicitly, all of that ↑ peeved me to no end then, and is an annoying peeving memory now, and the hooking forum posts to inworld is a current peeve in SL.

Edited by Seicher Rae
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, Jordan Whitt said:

Peeve 1 - Six pages of peeves to catch up reading...and most of the posts were about how boring the boards are, which bored me having to read!

Peeve 3 - Another week without my car!!!!  But at least my auto electrician FINALLY found me a new airbag for my car!  Only gonna cost me $500 + whatever he's gonna charge me for putting it in.

hm. At least some of your peeves are due to moi. 😟😭

I know! This'll help! It always does!

image.png.e97fd9d4baa13df3f4a9557b42f8cae1.png436663677_tstakeadeepbreath.gif.fd6b75c411cbd69f09e493e0b0a9e8eb.gif2051143199_TWhandheart.gif.732387296ab326f1c4768e00c915149c.gif

9 hours ago, Eddy Vortex said:

No idea on men using 'adulting' rule. Could be an interesting litmus test to suss out catfish anglers and whatnot. I thought using "adulting" and verbing other nouns is a thing millennials of all genders do.  

:::grins::: I actually learned it from a millennial male. :)  Who likewise is peeved at adulting.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Cinnamon Mistwood said:

I wonder what the forums would look like if the 20 most prolific posters took 3 days off.  

Peeve:  I have no imagination to work with, so I can't picture this.  This is a lifetime peeve.

It might be more interesting to see what would happen if the GD forum was removed all together.  Since everything has to be SL related there really is no need for it. All the GD would fit into other areas of the forum. 

That would probably become a nightmare for the moderators though as I think people would just post in whatever forum they wanted and the threads would have to be moved. It would be hard to keep track of.  At least with everyone normally posting in GD it's easier to move a thread into the correct one.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Eddy Vortex said:

I thought using "adulting" and verbing other nouns is a thing millennials of all genders do. 

My kids have been laughing at me since they were young because I verb nouns all the time. Doing so pretty much always got their attention though, since they would often do a double take trying to figure out what I actually meant.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2