Jump to content

Oh my Gawd! - Totally unOfficial Pet Peeve Thread.


Sassy Kenin

Recommended Posts

People who use the bug tracker's feature request for dumb stuff like this:

"Partner more than one person

How would you like the feature to work?
Hello please allow us to partner more than one person

Why is this feature important to you? How would it benefit the community?
Because there is this ***** tryna steal my wife."

...really? Granted I think it would be a great feature but requesting it that way isn't going to further your goals.

 

Edited by Zidaya Zenovka
  • Haha 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm devastated. I just got banned from London City for 8650 minutes. 

rest of rant deleted....

I've decided not to let it bother me. There is nothing I can do about it, which is the hurting part. I still don't know why I was banned - I've decided it was probably because I was wearing an unfashionable avatar.

Edited by Rufferta
Second thoughts.
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Rufferta said:

I'm devastated. I just got banned from London City for over 8000 minutes - don't know whether to laugh or cry. I've never been banned from anywhere before. (Well, security device banned - but that wasn't personal).

I was doing research on newcomer tutorials - you know, like Caledon Oxbridge and NCI, etc....and London City is listed as being helpful, so I wanted to see what was there.

No signage in arrival area - so I asked someone who was dancing but who had a name tag that identified her as 'Support Person' .

Me: "Hi, could you direct me to the tutorial area?"

Support person:  "You are too old to enter. Can I help you with something?"

Me: "What is the age limit - I'm doing research, please."

Support person: Silence - she kept on doing her ______ dance.

Me: "sorry to have bothered you."

I walked off and started writing notes - then I got a notice "You have 15 seconds to leave the area" and "You are banned for (I didn't write down the exact number) over 8000 minutes."

-------

I had a run-in's with London City Support before, when I expressed concern about adult merchandise in the Freebie Store being prominently displayed, and so I usually avoid the place.  According to my notes, the 'Nearby Avatar' counter first number was 59* when I arrived, and only two of them were what I would call 'new' - under 200 days**. 

So now I've been marked as some kind of undesirable by the folks in London City. 

If there is anyone on the forums who has ever gone through the London City newcomer orientation, or received help from the support staff, or who has any kind of warm fuzzy feelings for the place, please let me know. 

I'm just going to go sit somewhere until the smoke stops coming out of my ears.

 

 

Your bet bet for doing research there is to create a brand new account and go there as an actual newbie.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Rufferta said:

I'm devastated. I just got banned from London City for 8650 minutes. 

rest of rant deleted....

I've decided not to let it bother me. There is nothing I can do about it, which is the hurting part. I still don't know why I was banned - I've decided it was probably because I was wearing an unfashionable avatar.

I remember my man getting banned from a club for having only a system avatar. Even ARed him too as told by the club owner. Sadly the owner's friend invited him to check it out to be a DJ. As for AR --- probably gave a Lab staff person who reads those a good laugh!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, Rufferta said:

I'm devastated. I just got banned from London City for 8650 minutes. 

rest of rant deleted....

I've decided not to let it bother me. There is nothing I can do about it, which is the hurting part. I still don't know why I was banned - I've decided it was probably because I was wearing an unfashionable avatar.

-----8< ----  cut out and keep apology -----8< ----

Hand's up, we got it wrong, and we have since spoken.   Hope all is well.

-----8< ---- --------------------------------------- -----8< ----

 

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Torric Rodas said:

-----8< ----  cut out and keep apology -----8< ----

Hand's up, we got it wrong, and we have since spoken.   Hope all is well.

-----8< ---- --------------------------------------- -----8< ----

 

Thank you. I just found out that there is a "Second Life Tourists" group that includes 'griefing' as one of their activities - my group is called "Tourist Information" so I guess it was a case of mistaken identity complicated by the fact that the staff person was also having to deal with a naked zombie. I over-reacted.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Buying something, unpacking it, sorting it into the correct folder in my inventory...and then waking up the next morning to UPDATES cos something was missing or wrong with the original package and having to do it ALL over again!

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, AdminGirl said:

Sent a notecard to a creator about their permissions being wrong and them coming back to tell me they're not going to fix it since not enough people complained about it *sigh*

   'Tis how to earn bad reviews.

   I once bought a pair of horns that had little bits of metal woven around them, they looked really nice, but unfortunately the metal parts were set to full bright, and they were of course no-mod.

   I sent a notecard to the creator, who replied via notecard that I'd have to catch them online to get helped. For a few days I kept trying, but due to their time zone I was long gone by the time they got back to me. I never understood why we had to chat in person, the issue and solution both were simple enough. After a while they just stopped responding, so I left a review with a mediocre score of 2 or 3 stars explaining that the product looked nice, as long as you didn't use them in a dark setting where the full bright metal bits looked a bit like Christmas tree lights, and that the customer service wasn't brilliant. Suddenly they wanted to fix the problem to get a better review - but still insisted that I catch them online to get helped, and said that they'd flag my review because it was 'unfair' because I hadn't given them a chance to help - it had been well over a week of trying to explain that obviously I wasn't going to 'catch them online' if they don't come online until 3 AM my time, and that it was totally unnecessary since the issue was such an easy one to fix. 

   Never heard back from them.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

So for the past couple of years in SL I have been a total introverted hermit.  I seldom left my skypad for more than shopping excursions and could stand around for hours on end without talking to anyone.

Tonight I decided to venture back out into the wider SL world....ie I went back to a club where I used to sit for hours on end whilst editing pictures and people watching whenever I felt the *need* to be sociable.

So I arrive at said club, find an out of the way spot to sit whilst working through my clothing folders renaming stuff (cos yes, I am just THAT retentive), and psych myself up to replying if I receive any IMs...which I have to admit is a bit of a rarity at the best of times for me.

But I received one.  

Now I am the sort of person who will happily engage in a bit of social discourse if someone engages me in it.  IM had a good opening, so I replied in full sentences (ie more than the monosyllabics I usually reply to the "nice avi" IMs).   Conversation is being had about all sorts of generic SL stuff from "not seen you here before" to "what do you enjoy doing in SL" etc.  They are doing well....until...."So do you like being screwed someplace very uncomfortable?"  (Ten points if you get the reference!)  

I hit the small X and logged out.

Back to introverted Hermitsville for me I guess.

Edited by Jordan Whitt
Fixed a typo
  • Sad 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

   Pet peeve: you find a video about a subject which is sorely underrepresented when it comes to mythology, i.e. chthonian Greek deities that aren't, you know, Hades and Persephone ..

   But the narrator pronounces their names 'Hey-duss' and 'Percy-phone' in the first 10 seconds so you immediately feel like not wasting 3.5 minutes of your life watching the video. And instead spend 3.5 minutes to go to the forums to whinge about it.

   ...Profit!?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Orwar said:

 'Percy-phone'

 

I'm sorry it peeved you, but this made me properly laugh out loud. Woke the cat and everything. It doesn't help that "Percy-phone", written down, looks like some sort of Fisher Price toy for two year olds. 

Percy-phone. This has obviously ruined any telling of the Persephone story that I might ever experience in the future, but it was worth it for the lol. 

  • Haha 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

   Oh wow. So, I was playing around with making my own EEP preset, and rather like the result ..

Snapshot-031.png

   But then I thought I'd best look at ground level just to make sure I hadn't made something that'd only look decent at 2,500 metres .. And I see this:

0d8df6156a8c295350a3493fc11ce6dd.png

   Pet peeve: neighbours. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Orwar said:

   Pet peeve: you find a video about a subject which is sorely underrepresented when it comes to mythology, i.e. chthonian Greek deities that aren't, you know, Hades and Persephone ..

   But the narrator pronounces their names 'Hey-duss' and 'Percy-phone' in the first 10 seconds so you immediately feel like not wasting 3.5 minutes of your life watching the video. And instead spend 3.5 minutes to go to the forums to whinge about it.

   ...Profit!?

 

Before anyone ever bothered to teach me how to properly pronounce those two words I was saying them as hay dees and persA phone. Yep, there you go. That's what people do. Pick on the kid with hearing loss because they mispronounce some words never once stopping to think that hey, this person might have hearing loss! 🤬

Not mad at you, Orwar or Amina, just at people in general being their usual inconsiderate, selfish selves.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

 

Before anyone ever bothered to teach me how to properly pronounce those two words I was saying them as hay dees and persA phone. Yep, there you go. That's what people do. Pick on the kid with hearing loss because they mispronounce some words never once stopping to think that hey, this person might have hearing loss! 🤬

Not mad at you, Orwar or Amina, just at people in general being their usual inconsiderate, selfish selves.

Throughout my life, I've generally learned most new words from reading rather than hearing them. As a result, before the online talking dictionaries, I had a reputation for mispronouncing things - still have, actually, as people won't let me forget it. I've known the term "deus ex machina" for a long time but I only discovered last year that I've been pronouncing it incorrectly. (Never learned Latin at school and I've known the term so long, it never occurred to me to run it through the talking dictionary.) 

For this reason, while I might laugh at something being mispronounced, I never mean it unkindly and I certainly never think I'm any better; one reason it makes me laugh is because I do it myself so much and it could so easily be me. "Percy-phone" reads and sounds so much like a toddler's toy that I really can't help it. I imagine the beautiful young maiden being captured and taken away to the underworld, with a name that sounds like a Fisher Price singing telephone. Or Hades muffing up the entire operation and spiriting away the green train in Thomas the Tank Engine by mistake. (Percy...)

It's just very incongruous with the character and the tone of the story, and that's what makes me laugh, plus recognising myself in there too.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Amina Sopwith said:

Throughout my life, I've generally learned most new words from reading rather than hearing them. As a result, before the online talking dictionaries, I had a reputation for mispronouncing things - still have, actually, as people won't let me forget it. I've known the term "deus ex machina" for a long time but I only discovered last year that I've been pronouncing it incorrectly. (Never learned Latin at school and I've known the term so long, it never occurred to me to run it through the talking dictionary.) 

For this reason, while I might laugh at something being mispronounced, I never mean it unkindly and I certainly never think I'm any better; one reason it makes me laugh is because I do it myself so much and it could so easily be me. "Percy-phone" reads and sounds so much like a toddler's toy that I really can't help it. I imagine the beautiful young maiden being captured and taken away to the underworld, with a name that sounds like a Fisher Price singing telephone. Or Hades muffing up the entire operation and spiriting away the green train in Thomas the Tank Engine by mistake. (Percy...)

It's just very incongruous with the character and the tone of the story, and that's what makes me laugh, plus recognising myself in there too.

 

Yes the Fisher Price Percy Phone makes me giggle.

2d56c337-8362-42cc-af05-a208d29a90ff_1.c

 

I used to make mine fly like a U-Control model airplane. 🤭

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

 

Yes the Fisher Price Percy Phone makes me giggle.

2d56c337-8362-42cc-af05-a208d29a90ff_1.c

 

I used to make mine fly like a U-Control model airplane. 🤭

I remember in the old amateur radio club group I was in someone there took one of those and put guts in it from a real phone. Was a hoot!!

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...