8 minutes ago, Sukubia Scarmon said:

I drink my tea like I drink my coffee: almost white and sickenly sweet!

In Orwell's essay, a good cup of tea, he challenges his readers to try it for one week without sugar with the claim that you'll never want to go back. I accepted that challenge a couple of years ago, and it was true. For the first few days I thought it was miserable. Now, I haven't put sugar in tea or coffee for years, I tried it once after a while to see whether I would like it - it was a resounding no. Furthermore it laid the foundation for me to stop drinking soda, and then removing all added sugars from my diet outside of the occasional sweetbread when I have reason to celebrate. I lost about 1/6th of my weight in six months, and almost half as much as that in the following six months (for a total of 1/4th).

I'm so glad I accepted Orwell's challenge. But he's not getting me to get rid of the milk. Shakes fist.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Orwar said:

In Orwell's essay, a good cup of tea, he challenges his readers to try it for one week without sugar with the claim that you'll never want to go back. I accepted that challenge a couple of years ago, and it was true. For the first few days I thought it was miserable. Now, I haven't put sugar in tea or coffee for years, I tried it once after a while to see whether I would like it - it was a resounding no. Furthermore it laid the foundation for me to stop drinking soda, and then removing all added sugars from my diet outside of the occasional sweetbread when I have reason to celebrate. I lost about 1/6th of my weight in six months, and almost half as much as that in the following six months (for a total of 1/4th).

I'm so glad I accepted Orwell's challenge. But he's not getting me to get rid of the milk. Shakes fist.

Oh, I tried that. It went okay with coffee - drank it with only milk for half a year, but.. yeah, I do prefer it sweetened. ( I didn't drink any tea or soda in that period either)
As for tea, I tried to, again and again, with always the same result: it just tastes sour to me. :/ Especially without milk, it's like the actual  tea-taste gets drowned out with sour.  My tastebuds are weird. 

1 hour ago, Rat Luv said:

Boss of all teas :P

Blasph-- Wait. Uh. Divinity? Bleh. Bad!

1 hour ago, Sukubia Scarmon said:

As for tea, I tried to, again and again, with always the same result: it just tastes sour to me.

Assam tea has a very smooth, malty flavour to it that is a bit sweet already. Teas like Yunnan taste like someone threw up in your mouth. This is why we drink Assam. Nods.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Sukubia Scarmon said:

Oh, I tried that. It went okay with coffee - drank it with only milk for half a year, but.. yeah, I do prefer it sweetened. ( I didn't drink any tea or soda in that period either)
As for tea, I tried to, again and again, with always the same result: it just tastes sour to me. :/ Especially without milk, it's like the actual  tea-taste gets drowned out with sour.  My tastebuds are weird. 

Earl Grey is my go to for hot tea.  It has oil of bergamot added and is best without milk.  I do add a drop of honey.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RowanMinx said:

Earl Grey is my go to for hot tea.

Fun fact: Earl Grey is the product of a (very successful) attempt of making bad quality tea passable through masking the flavour with bergamot oil. 

Personally I don't hate it. It's not my go-to though. It's the same with tobacco, the second largest Swedish snus product is scented with bergamot oil - it's nice once in a while, but after half a day you miss the taste of just plain smoked tobacco. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Orwar said:

Fun fact: Earl Grey is the product of a (very successful) attempt of making bad quality tea passable through masking the flavour with bergamot oil. 

Personally I don't hate it. It's not my go-to though. It's the same with tobacco, the second largest Swedish snus product is scented with bergamot oil - it's nice once in a while, but after half a day you miss the taste of just plain smoked tobacco. 

I'm not a big tea drinker.  Now and then in the winter is about all for me.  I just love the scent.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RowanMinx said:

Earl Grey is my go to for hot tea.  It has oil of bergamot added and is best without milk.  I do add a drop of honey.

I like it but the best I've tasted is from a small tea company who add a few cornflower petals.  When I open the tin I get a waft of something like incense.

Edited by Garnet Psaltery
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, RowanMinx said:

I'm not a big tea drinker.  Now and then in the winter is about all for me.  I just love the scent.

Actually, that's my biggest peeve about Tea: to me, it smells really awesome, but never tastes the way it smells, which is setting me up for dissapointment. ;_;

I do have Earl Grey here - lose leaf from England even, and do like that. With milk and sugar, lol. I'll try it without milk but sugar, and without sugar but milk, and without booth tomorrow.
And then I'll try to get my grubby hands on some Assam und try that as well. 
I mostly tried chamomille, and fruity teas, and peppermint.

1 hour ago, Sukubia Scarmon said:

und

Mwihi.

But yes, that's a pretty common complaint, that the tea smells nice but tastes like hot water. The most common mistake is that you don't brew it long enough or hot enough (my brother still just puts tea in a tea sift and pours hot water through it like a caveman).

There's also some confusion regarding how much tea to use - a lot of 'tea enthusiasts' will brew these huge cups of tea, with a single tea bag - and if that's what someone enjoys, fine, but it's not how it's intended to be done.

There are a few different do's and don't's when it comes to brewing tea. Don't use those small wire balls for loose leaf tea, they're pretty pointless (as are the locket spoons) - the tea needs space as the leafs expands when they draw in water, if their expansion is inhibited, the flavour won't release properly. Personally I tend to use a wire basket that's just a little smaller in diameter than a common cup, which gives the tea plenty of space to expand and for water to circulate, but if you don't have one of those you can brew it in a pot or pitcher instead, and then pour it through a sift to get rid of the leafs. 

One teaspoon goes for one teacup - except you also sacrifice one teaspoon to the deities of tea for each brew; if you make one cup, that's two spoons, if you make two cups in a tea pot, that's three spoons (although it does vary depending on the tea). It's also important to consider how much tea you're making - most cups and mugs are 20-30 cl and up, whilst a teacup is 'supposed' to be about 15 cl. So if you're using a big cup, you're essentially brewing 'two cups'. If you use twice the amount of water without increasing the amount of tea, it'll have half the concentration of flavour. For ye olde IKEA mug, I use two (heaped) teaspoons of tea (and occasionally a 'tip'), and don't fill it all the way up (leaving a little space for the milk, and keeping in mind that I'll want to walk with the cup through the house to sit down by my desk without spilling!).

I like my tea pretty strong though, others prefer it less so, some people go further. Then, there's the brewing time - black teas are usually suggested to be brewed around 3-5 minutes, 3 minutes are the minimum (one for the colour, one for the flavour, one for good luck), 4 minutes is what I usually aim for, by the 5 minute mark the tea has begun to turn bitter, and past that point it's going to taste like wood stain. Keep in mind that throughout that time, you'll want to keep the tea hot

An interesting science thing is how tea onboard airplanes is never any good - that's because the lower air pressure reduces the boiling point of the water, meaning the water isn't actually hot enough to steep the tea even when it's at a boil in the skies. My immersion basket has a small brass bowl where you put it once the tea is done, but whilst the tea is brewing I'll place it on top of the cup and pour a splash of hot water from the kettle in it to ensure that the heat loss is as little as possible (and of course, before the kettle has reached a boil, I'll put a bit of hot water from it in the cup to warm it, to make sure that the cup doesn't act like a heat sink when I pour the brewing water in it). 

... Aaand. Tea. 

Edited by Orwar
Browing tea? Nuh. Brewing.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Today's peeve ... Groups for some of the larger mesh bodies/heads being used for advertising random junk people make for them. I'm in those groups because I want to be notified in case there's a new version of their products that I should update to, not have hundreds of advertisements for cheap BOM eyeshadows that look like they were drawn by blind monkeys. 

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Jordan Whitt said:

Today's peeve!

I have blocked seeing someone's posts of insane rhetoric on these boards.  The forum is a nice place for me doing that.  However, I am finding more and more that I AM seeing this person's posts despite the fact I have them blocked...AND THIS IS PEEVING ME A LOT!  

That quoting loophole?  Yeah, I hear you.

15 hours ago, Jordan Whitt said:

Today's peeve!

I have blocked seeing someone's posts of insane rhetoric on these boards.  The forum is a nice place for me doing that.  However, I am finding more and more that I AM seeing this person's posts despite the fact I have them blocked...AND THIS IS PEEVING ME A LOT!  

Once you surrender, you can learn to "enjoy" (in quotes) the annoying person's posts who you blocked/ignored (whoever it is).

On 1/12/2021 at 5:49 PM, Orwar said:

An interesting science thing is how tea onboard airplanes is never any good - that's because the lower air pressure reduces the boiling point of the water, meaning the water isn't actually hot enough to steep the tea even when it's at a boil in the skies.

Would the tea used (as a Brownian motion generator) to power the Heart of Gold taste good, or not?

Bonus points to anyone who gets the reference.

• Like 1