GoH - How do you decide which one to keep?

Lloyd Overland

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1215 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

3 hours ago, Nika Talaj said:

That said, I generally prefer houseboats that are directly connected to actual land, and I like them to be in regions with fewer homes than usual (for lag control).

Ditto! I am definitely partial to the houseboats that are connected to land with a sparse neighborhood behind them as opposed to the ones that are just on a system of boardwalks. As much as I love the ability to hop into a boat, I also want the ability to be able to walk around the area or hop on a bicycle.

• Like 2

Personally I have had some of your boats and I share others views on land attachment and lag. Region name is a thing for me too. I like to be able to see passing traffic and find a well designed or slightly quirky place that makes me feel I am at  hub of at least seeing someone or something whilst there. 

Also type of houseboat that works well with each parcel? I can't work very well with certain models of homes so if the model I want faces a different way it poses a headache :) 

It sounds like you are more hooked on rolling than keeping so even if you dropped all those boats you would eventually find something even more to your taste. But I  would stagger the ones you let out and play with the golden rule not the refreshing. Less chance of picking up the same thing. 

• Like 6

33 minutes ago, Cyanide Pixie said:

1. Parcel details. This is the first thing I look at and I'm probably not alone. Things like being on a corner, overlooking water, having nice mole landscaping built in, etc. I abandon land very fast if the home is just sandwiched between a bunch of houses with nothing unique going for it. Sunrise/sunset views could be important to some but as I have always used windlight settings and now FS has EEP it isn't as much of a biggie for me.

2. The neighbors. Getting away from eyesores is why many of us love Belli so much. Thankfully I haven't had too many problems, but I've seen them. The other night I was playing GoH with my friend and I grabbed a parcel he first said he liked because of the interesting landscaping. And then all of a sudden his voice dropped low and he said, "You need to abandon this. NOW." I laughed and said that was a quick turnaround in opinion and his response was simply, "Look across the street." Oooooh, boy. I have yet to see any other parcel that matched the horror of what the person across the street did to their property. There was so much hideous random decor strewn across their lawn and attached to their roof that I'm fairly certain the neighbors could make a covenant complaint. Flat prim image cut outs of foliage and different animals and objects (not holiday decor, just completely random stuff), I can't even describe it other than what you'd expect from old mainland. It was BAD. So... yep... I don't know if I would want to live across the street from that even if the parcel I snagged was amazing. Sure, you could derender the objects. But they wouldn't be derendered for my poor guests.

3. Nearby amenities & landmarks. This is one I need more experience with, as I truly haven't explored the vast continent enough to get a grasp of all the amazing treats the moles have built for us. But I think in the future finding property near certain builds and zones will come into play. I know many folks are also eager to find property near things like train lines. I still need to get out and about in each of my neighborhoods, walk in all directions, and see what's nearby.

4. Region name. This might be silly, but having a really cool region name is always a plus. I'm currently hanging on to a property that is very pretty but not as special as it could be because I really like the name of the neighborhood it is located in.

5. The lag situation. This likely plays heavily into point #2, but the lag on the parcel is something I'm making note of. Sadly probably the nicest parcel I have at the moment is experiencing lag and has a FPS half that of my others so I'm trying to figure out why and if it can be fixed. I'd rather not give it up but it might end up being a deal breaker.

Too tired right now to type my own ridiculously long and intricate list of criteria but I share every requirement Cyanide wrote. 100% spot-on! Region name matters a lot to me whether inside or outside Bellisseria. I cannot count how many times I had to let go of homes in extremely photogenic locations within neighborhoods with names I imagine the moles probably came up with while they were high on mind-altering substances (Monkey Fist, like really?!). I like puns though and I secretly envied an acquaintance who landed a gorgeous houseboat in Sea Ya. One of those absurd things from RL that bleed into my SL is my belief in feng shui LOL and I consider a property to be “cursed” when it is: #1 located in a badly named region; #2 in a dead-end street or T-intersection; #3 surrounded by homes with derender-and-AR-worthy decor like a full bright graveyard with mangled corpses on display all year round, or plane crash debris, or lewd content like an outdoor theatre system displaying p0rn. I am far from a prude, but I have also chosen Bellisseria as my home to live with my SL family which includes two child avatars so I would not want them to be exposed to those things just like I would not want my RL children to live in such surroundings. Lastly, we love to drive around the continent so the parcel must not have anything obstructing access to the road such as a fence. While we have landmarks to the nearest rez zones, we prefer being able to drive from our garage. It makes the experience more realistic and immersive.

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, Yuumo Ichibara said:

Lastly, we love to drive around the continent so the parcel must not have anything obstructing access to the road such as a fence. While we have landmarks to the nearest rez zones, we prefer being able to drive from our garage. It makes the experience more realistic and immersive.

Ooh, yes! This one is particularly important to me for trads. Room for a garage or at least a driveway is VERY important!  I don't feel this is important for log homes as horseback riding is more important to me there. And vics... It would be a plus, but not a deal breaker. But trads? I don't think I'd ever want a trad where I couldn't park a car. Sadly I prefer the Adams build for trads and that one is trickier for a full garage because of the width and the fact that I use the Teegle add on making it even wider, but I've currently got a matching attached carport by Chic Aeon and a large driveway that works nicely.

(Editing to add a photo. Please excuse the unfinished landscaping, I'm still trying to figure everything out. I can't get the driveway quite flush with the sidewalk as it pulls under the ground in some places... even right in the middle, guess the ground wasn't completely flat. But this carport works nicely for those with vehicles who don't have space for a full garage. And at least even with the raised edge of that driveway irking me I can still drive a car in and out no problem.)

Snapshot_001.jpg

Edited by Cyanide Pixie
Photographic evidence
  • Like 3

My first most important feature for a home is being directly on a seashore but by massivly playing GoH with up to eight Premium alts during more than a year I finally managed to get ALL of them seashore lots. Now I freed three of them for the upcoming Stilt release (lots of seashore! *ggg*) but have on hand one Victorian, one Houseboat and three Traditionals. One Trad is beachy sandy which I LOVE the others are risen up over the sea with nice views and gardens.

Between these Trads I find it VERY hard to decide which one I might let go so I might keept themm all. Anyway till premium runs out which will be June 2021. Still if I find a stilt worth keeping I will let go of one Traditional. If I find a nice Houseboat in the Stiltregions I will let go of the Sandflea HB (next to Sany Campers)

Thank God I do not like Campers, Loghomes and Chalets or the dilemma would be even bigger! *lol*

Edited by Leora Jacobus
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Leora Jacobus said:

Thank God I do not like Campers, Loghomes and Chalet or the dilemma would be even greater! *lol*

I'd love a camper if they were 1024. Having them only be 512 seems like a waste to me. Like getting half the bang for our buck versus other linden homes. So I guess that's another requirement for my list right there, 1024 and 351 prims to work with. I get that they are tiny builds so they only require a small parcel, but just as houseboats are smaller but still give you the full space to rez watercraft, a 1024 camper lot could have the perk of being able to keep things light on the ground level to make room for a small skybox if you wanted or alternatively the ability to go ham on landscaping, campgrounds, that sort of thing.

When stilts are released my requirement is to have them be land or boardwalk connected and not so high over the water that boats look awkwardly low when docked. And I find the completely landlocked ones just look silly, with those tall stilts and flat non-terraformed terrain underneath. While touring the demo sim, my friend and I were contemplating using mesh landform pieces for sand dunes and rocks underneath on those landlocked ones but that would eat a lot of prims that could be used elsewhere. I might play GoH for stilts but I will be VERY picky. They would have to be the perfect location and perfect height for me to keep them. Excited for the chalets though, I'll probably be happy just to snag any chalet upon release to play with for a bit before getting picky about details.

• Like 3

With your immersion in your sailing, if you don’t actually live in any of your houseboats, then for me, the criteria would be location. It would be great to have a well placed series of ports for you to be able to sail to, with different views and territories on each journey, also being able to have journeys of various lengths too.

Have a look at the map (will be much easier once they fix it) and look to see where houseboats are located and try to get one in each of the areas you would want to sail to/from.

I love being able to travel between my properties. I have a Victorian home extremely well placed next to a rez point railway station and have a camper on the opposite side of the continent. I can drive or take a train to travel between the two, and as the camper is overlooking the ocean too, I can use the rez zone in the region to take to the water. Having amphibious cars is also fun as I’m able to get in and out of the water easily in my camper’s region. I can then make my way to my mainland property in the north east of Sansara.... fun times!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Sister Nova said:

With your immersion in your sailing, if you don’t actually live in any of your houseboats, then for me, the criteria would be location. It would be great to have a well placed series of ports for you to be able to sail to, with different views and territories on each journey, also being able to have journeys of various lengths too.

Have a look at the map (will be much easier once they fix it) and look to see where houseboats are located and try to get one in each of the areas you would want to sail to/from.

I love being able to travel between my properties. I have a Victorian home extremely well placed next to a rez point railway station and have a camper on the opposite side of the continent. I can drive or take a train to travel between the two, and as the camper is overlooking the ocean too, I can use the rez zone in the region to take to the water. Having amphibious cars is also fun as I’m able to get in and out of the water easily in my camper’s region. I can then make my way to my mainland property in the north east of Sansara.... fun times!

This perfectly sums up my thinking. I originally aimed to have houseboats in key locations as I like to sail from place to place when in 'sailing mode' only using rez zones when in 'explorer mode.' To remind myself which houseboat is where I added a reminder to the parcel description e.g. south to Jeogeot. I hope now the uplift to the cloud is nearing completion that the map will be able to be zoomed right out though I do find invaluable the excellent HUDs from Infinity Freight so at least I can get my bearings.

I don't really have time for house furnishing as when I am not out and about I spend time immersed in my mainland industrial harbor themed 1/4 sim.

• Like 1

I generally agree with what others are saying about deal-breakers, except for the part about bad decor on neighboring parcels. I learned long ago when I used to own land scattered all over Mainland that neighbors come and go, and buying a parcel because the neighborhood looked nice, or passing an otherwise great parcel up because the neighborhood was a mess, was usually a mistake. Neighbors come and go, and you can't count on them to stay and keep a place looking great, or leave to make a place look better.

So I judge a parcel on its own merits, and for the most part pay no heed to what the neighbors are doing. For instance, I recently got a great trad facing a lot of water, with houseboats on the water. Great view! But a few days ago, the houseboat nearest my parcel got a new owner, who has rezzed the biggest godawful yacht I have ever seen, totally blocking the view. Am I going to move? No way! I ARd that sucker because it extends well over the parcel boundary into "public" water, derendered, and I will wait him out. *digs heels in* 

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

It all came down to a cost-benefit analysis of continuing to pay, month after month, for a variety of LH's and Mainland tier, versus things I could have instead in the real world for the same amount of money.  Reality won.  I've enjoyed my journey into LH's and GOH that I started a little over a year ago, but at this point the enjoyment gained versus the prices paid for parcel ownership, especially when there's so much exploration to do in SL that doesn't require one to even pay for a premium account, led me to abandon everything.  I'm just bouncing around from LH to LH playing GOH on my main and now only premium account, waiting for stilts, and will decide in a few months whether or not to renew my account or finally go back to freebie after 174 or so consistent months of payments.  I was already ready to quit a year ago;  I'm pretty much back to the same mindset now that the thrill of LH's has worn off.

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, Rabid Cheetah said:

It all came down to a cost-benefit analysis of continuing to pay, month after month, for a variety of LH's and Mainland tier, versus things I could have instead in the real world for the same amount of money.  Reality won.  I've enjoyed my journey into LH's and GOH that I started a little over a year ago, but at this point the enjoyment gained versus the prices paid for parcel ownership, especially when there's so much exploration to do in SL that doesn't require one to even pay for a premium account, led me to abandon everything.  I'm just bouncing around from LH to LH playing GOH on my main and now only premium account, waiting for stilts, and will decide in a few months whether or not to renew my account or finally go back to freebie after 174 or so consistent months of payments.  I was already ready to quit a year ago;  I'm pretty much back to the same mindset now that the thrill of LH's has worn off.

i feel sort of the same   ,im going to scale down to one account only   ,for now i have the home i like   ,and i have no intrest in Stilts or the  new homes .so i am no longer going with the madness of home hopping and putting my money into a viritual world  of homes  ,that i will never use   ,how many houses you need to dress up in after all ?

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Rabid Cheetah said:

Reality hit me too, it was VAT that broke me. I was quite hard into GoH. When I ran out of ways to decorate the different house styles, it was like "I have done everything" what is there left? Location matter incredibly much to me. I got lots of great locations, and I thought several times, "I am going to keep this for ever". I was not feeling guilty for owning several homes, even if some tried to shame those with multiple alt for "taking" good locations.  But I was looking back after a year and thought, did I got my money's worth out of all the separate 371 Li places? I got'em, decorated them, and was on my way to the next one. It is so much more other and different things I can do with a 4096m than four 1024m. I will rather pay for a bigger part of land and all Li in one place. I saw how much more VAT adds on, I must spend money where I get best use of them.

I am downgrading my alts and will probably keep only Marianne on Premium. It will be some kind of shock to have one Premium, 5 trials per 24 hours, and what to keep?? I know what I have here, do I abandon and get something worse? Or hope to be lucky?

Big first world problem. 😋 For the houses in Bellisseria, good location means next to water, and a good view. Garden facing west. For houseboats, the #1 priority is end of row so I am not squeezed in. Also not a location where it is 2 - 3 lines of boats between me and open water. Preferably not one of the sand islands with only boats.

If I could have multiple houseboats, I would hunt until I  had them spread far apart in Bellisseria, but I would still want them in optimal locations for me.

For the stilt houses, it will be on an edge of a region with free water in at least one direction.

• Like 7

16 minutes ago, Birdie Ravenhurst said:

Wow GoH? I just had to look that up and all I could figure out, was that it stands for game of homes! I am beyond curious now 😂 How do you play this? What it actually is? And more importantly how can you have more than one linden home??? Sorry this is off topic but I just had to ask, it sounds like so much fun 😁

You spend your free time claiming and releasing Bellisseria Linden Homes -- max of 5 homes claimed per 24 hours per account.  Some folks will stay long enough to decorate, some release right away.

You can have multiple homes if you have multiple Premium accounts.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

23 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

You spend your free time claiming and releasing Bellisseria Linden Homes -- max of 5 homes claimed per 24 hours per account.  Some folks will stay long enough to decorate, some release right away.

You can have multiple homes if you have multiple Premium accounts.

Is it possible to claim an abandoned  linden home inworld or does it have to be random through the webpage?

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Birdie Ravenhurst said:

Is it possible to claim an abandoned  linden home inworld or does it have to be random through the webpage?

It can only be done via the web page, partly because you cannot request a particular location.  Location is always randomly assigned if there is more than one available of the Theme/Style you want.

• Like 2

Did you know that often forum GOHers post their "about to be abandoned" places in the When Did You Last See a Bellisseria Home Available thread?  That would be a good spot to post your boats you are giving up, if you like, so we can all fight over try for them  :)   

On 12/17/2020 at 1:45 PM, Lloyd Overland said:

Right now I have got carried away with GoH and have 6 Houseboats which is quite a lot and as I am already missing the refresh game, I need to get rid of one or two. Question is which and how would you choose? Feel free to add your dilemmas if anyone is in the same situation.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, Lloyd Overland said:

I couldn't resist getting back into GoH and abandoned #5, just landed on this Traditional on the north west coastline. Maybe I should try making it homely just to give it a chance.

image.png.08cf3fc823c3855e4758968e8705d2c6.png

You do not sound overexcited... If you don't like the area so much that you are "yay" about it, I would say let it go and try for another.

• Like 1

It's like this. If you can't decide, you haven't found "The One" yet. When you find the one that stands out for you, there's no need to have any more. I got this houseboat Dec 22 last year, and haven't bothered rolling for houseboats any more, because there's no point.

What I look for is uniqueness, surrounding area, and not being squished in. The direction the water moved was sometimes a factor too when I was boat hopping. It bugged me if the waves were going the wrong way! It doesn't matter so much on this island, but shoreline HBs triggered me if the waves were going away from the shore, lol.

If sailing is your big thing, keep one if you face an open water region. I do like to sail, and my island HB has open sailing all around it exiting the parcel. I coveted this island before it released and watched it like a hawk. When it released, I got one on the shore, and I've never abandoned so fast in my life, haha.. Re-rolled, and landed where I wanted :)

Fun times. Good luck!

cobbs.jpg

• Like 6

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1215 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.