GoH - How do you decide which one to keep?

Lloyd Overland

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1220 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

With apologies in advance for those who don't play GoH I wanted to start a thread asking how people decide which to keep and which to return. I have shared on another thread recently that sailing my boats and exploring is my main passion in SL and so access to water is really important to me. I am quite an immersive character when online as Lloyd so prefer to sail there and back despite having numerous rez zones on the water in my landmarks.

Right now I have got carried away with GoH and have 6 Houseboats which is quite a lot and as I am already missing the refresh game, I need to get rid of one or two. Question is which and how would you choose? Feel free to add your dilemmas if anyone is in the same situation.

#1 Morden, south facing not far from USS Galaxy, houseboats to the side and back of me

image.thumb.png.14a7cc0487c6d135c98d3d46e25dab26.png

#2 Piarra Waters. west facing, not far north from Jeogeot

image.thumb.png.f4d5ae524164cd837bcbe45d4111b37d.png

#3 Guilemot Channel, north facing on end of row with sandy Linden beach to the west. The houseboat is the nearest to the camera.

image.thumb.png.dc2a42737c203dbff7114b59015ba630.png

#4 Ness, north facing and sailable to Sansara. This time front and back facing pics as it is a lovely area behind

image.png.2bd2a1146326fc7db3f7ec13dd00a6ee.png

image.png.f0bcdccea2e719500ccb6e3832ee2217.png

#5 Castoff, south facing, 

image.png.a8bf390cb76a76a15a69cdf6f193ce9c.png

image.png.f14cc6953f0e4b4280baa008a8920761.png

#6 Pearlcoast, west facing on the big round lake

• Like 3

Just now, Lloyd Overland said:

With apologies in advance for those who don't play GoH I wanted to start a thread asking how people decide which to keep and which to return. I have shared on another thread recently that sailing my boats and exploring is my main passion in SL and so access to water is really important to me. I am quite an immersive character when online as Lloyd so prefer to sail there and back despite having numerous rez zones on the water in my landmarks.

Right now I have got carried away with GoH and have 6 Houseboats which is quite a lot and as I am already missing the refresh game, I need to get rid of one or two. Question is which and how would you choose? Feel free to add your dilemmas if anyone is in the same situation.

#1 Morden, south facing not far from USS Galaxy, houseboats to the side and back of me

image.thumb.png.14a7cc0487c6d135c98d3d46e25dab26.png

#2 Piarra Waters. west facing, not far north from Jeogeot

image.thumb.png.f4d5ae524164cd837bcbe45d4111b37d.png

#3 Guilemot Channel, north facing on end of row with sandy Linden beach to the west. The houseboat is the nearest to the camera.

image.thumb.png.dc2a42737c203dbff7114b59015ba630.png

#4 Ness, north facing and sailable to Sansara. This time front and back facing pics as it is a lovely area behind

image.png.2bd2a1146326fc7db3f7ec13dd00a6ee.png

image.png.f0bcdccea2e719500ccb6e3832ee2217.png

#5 Castoff, south facing, 

image.png.a8bf390cb76a76a15a69cdf6f193ce9c.png

image.png.f14cc6953f0e4b4280baa008a8920761.png

#6 Pearlcoast, west facing on the big round lake

This is a picture of #6

image.thumb.png.d2880495a725464241ced4161021cf53.png

• Like 5

That Pearlcoast one looks lovely to me, but sailing is not my priority. I prefer parcels (including houseboats) that have pretty landscaping and unique touches. 

ETA: Which one(s) do you spend the most time at? Which have you decorated? I find if I am struggling to decorate a spot, or I never go there, then that's what needs to be sent back into the wild.

Edited by Sylvia Tamalyn
  • Like 3

34 minutes ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

That Pearlcoast one looks lovely to me, but sailing is not my priority. I prefer parcels (including houseboats) that have pretty landscaping and unique touches. 

ETA: Which one(s) do you spend the most time at? Which have you decorated? I find if I am struggling to decorate a spot, or I never go there, then that's what needs to be sent back into the wild.

Good question! So far I have been too busy catching and releasing hence the pause and focus on just a few. I love Belli but have alo been playing with my mainland parcel too, also all around water and boats.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Mercedes Avon said:

Oh, and to answer your question. I like #3 and #4 because I see land directly attached and that means I could sail/boat and grab a bike and easily bike around.

I agree #3 and #4 have that extra something because of the protected sandy area. Creating this thread and taking the pictures I realized that the view from #5 is less good although oddly, so far, the end of the road is not a rez zone.

• Like 1

Great topic, as GOH has offered much stimulation for me while we have been awaiting the Stilt release.  I am big on water access, not only because I enjoy sailing (or just floating on a tube), but the gorgeous water views usually offers much less lag for me.  Though I have some glorious places, I decided to take GOH to another level this past summer/fall during the Stilt wait.  This time, the mission was to play GOH until I was able to snag not only a Traditional and Houseboat in the same region, but to find them as adjoining parcels!  I aspired to be able to live comfortably in my Traditional, and then be able to walk over to my houseboat and enjoy the pool or get on my boat and head off sailing.  This was, for me, the ultimate GOH challenge - being that regions with Traditionals and neighboring Houseboats are somewhat limited, but the odds of being able to snag BOTH adjoining parcels....IMPOSSIBLE!  I worked at it religiously for months and was starting to lose hope, but by some combination of perseverance, obsession, and sheer luck...one day I pulled it off!  Below is now, hands-down, my favorite place to be in Belli.  I will probably continue to play GOH with the new releases (because it's just too fun not to), but I am pretty sure I will never be able to top this one.  

Home_001.png

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

Those old enough on Belli to remember when we didn't had a choice of choosing, but to wait at least for 2 months before we would grab the 1st available spot, can find the GOH invigorating.

Now we can even bother to abandon in hope to get a better spot, some that on the 1st 6th months was out of question.

And i having a house boat was not in my priorities but after i got the one i think is placed on the best area for them at http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Esper/140/172/27 i doubt  Im going to play GOh for a long time.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Mercedes Avon said:

It's purely personal preference. I once landed an amazing traditional. I knew it was a very lucky grab. It was everything nearly everyone would want, but it did not offer me privacy. Thus, I let it go. I keep what feels like home to me.

That is how I feel too.  I have to feel the parcel.  If that makes any sense.  When it comes to houseboats I always tried to find one where I could have an underground garden (deeper water), open water view and the long parcels.  I also go with whatever parcel works best on my computer too.   Also sometimes it did help if I decorated both parcels the same way and went with the one that looked and felt the best. 

Also when the stilts are released, you will have even more houseboats to choose from!  Welcome to the GOH Lloyd.  You will never be the same again. 🤣

• Like 6

Knowing how long it took me to acquire my first houseboat (4 months), and being a product of a Catholic-school education (oh, the guilt!), I’ve not been able to justify having more than one of  any one theme. The longer I’ve been a GoH participant, the more refined my goal has become. I was in love with Pearlcoast before the region even had a name. I have photos of the area before it was landscaped. I haven’t landed there yet. That’s okay, because I enjoy the catch and release. I’m a member of the Tumbleweed Club (an unofficial group that can’t seem to put down permanent roots). I’ve learned to stop thinking in terms of forever home. The only thing I’m certain of is that I’ll move on. Even though I dream of having a river-facing green Trad, I’ve kept my houseboats the longest.

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, karynmaria said:

Also sometimes it did help if I decorated both parcels the same way and went with the one that looked and felt the best. 

I do this a lot, and it really helps me make decisions! Doing it this way, I'm not influenced because I like one decorating job better than the other. 😂

• Like 5

I gave up on the GOH after only a couple of months. Mainly because of monetary issues, but a little out of boredom. I simply don't get the thrill out of it like most do.. Currently have premium on 2 accounts. One holding my current LH(Vic), the other to take a stab at the Stilts. If I land a Stilt I like more than the Vic by the time the other's premium goes up for renewal.. bye Vic. And boy oh boy will somebody get a treat if that happens.

• Like 3

I think it's a mistake to go with hard-and-fast criteria for ranking properties; sometimes some not-so-desirable spot will speak to me in particular, when most others are willing to pass it by.  My partner has a trad in Foxbridge that's like that; we just find it really spacious and livable there, and others come and go around us.

That said, I generally prefer houseboats that are directly connected to actual land, and I like them to be in regions with fewer homes than usual (for lag control).

Our boat on Lake Fourze (that's what I call the big round lake, after the lighthouse we face there) checks both boxes.  Plus the view is gorgeous, and there are, I think, 15 homes in the region.  The neighborhoods within reach have a lot of variety.

Although our other boat, my current fave in Kuga, is not land attached, the mole decorations on its little reef are very nice, and there are only 5 homes in the region, with only 1 immediate neighbor.  A friend of mine has a boat nearby in a neighboring region.  I find it very peaceful there, and I really like sailing around those waters.

As to yours, I find it difficult to evaluate properties without a SLURL; to me, the geographic location of a parcel on the map is really important.  Like others, I like that Pearl Coast location!

I don't need a SLURL for your parcel in Ness, because I had it for a while!  I love those older areas, and that spot checked some boxes for me and was very quiet.  For some reason I never settled into it, tho, so I let it swim away.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Faye Blackheart said:

Great topic, as GOH has offered much stimulation for me while we have been awaiting the Stilt release.  I am big on water access, not only because I enjoy sailing (or just floating on a tube), but the gorgeous water views usually offers much less lag for me.  Though I have some glorious places, I decided to take GOH to another level this past summer/fall during the Stilt wait.  This time, the mission was to play GOH until I was able to snag not only a Traditional and Houseboat in the same region, but to find them as adjoining parcels!  I aspired to be able to live comfortably in my Traditional, and then be able to walk over to my houseboat and enjoy the pool or get on my boat and head off sailing.  This was, for me, the ultimate GOH challenge - being that regions with Traditionals and neighboring Houseboats are somewhat limited, but the odds of being able to snag BOTH adjoining parcels....IMPOSSIBLE!  I worked at it religiously for months and was starting to lose hope, but by some combination of perseverance, obsession, and sheer luck...one day I pulled it off!  Below is now, hands-down, my favorite place to be in Belli.  I will probably continue to play GOH with the new releases (because it's just too fun not to), but I am pretty sure I will never be able to top this one.  

Home_001.png

Now that was a GoH challenge @Faye Blackheart, well done on keeping going and congratulations on getting those two! I have seen a few home and houseboat together combinations and thought no that's impossible.

Enjoy them both, you deserve it :)

• Like 4

3 hours ago, DellaLaBella said:

I like #6... pretty landscaping behind it...and nothing in front to block the water view...so many of the houseboat parcels make you feel boxed in. I always look for open water...may be a reflection of my real life!

I was delighted to get #6, my most recent one and you are right it is nice to be in some space. It's funny I enjoyed sitting at the picnic table behind by houseboat, felt very relaxing.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Nika Talaj said:

I think it's a mistake to go with hard-and-fast criteria for ranking properties; sometimes some not-so-desirable spot will speak to me in particular, when most others are willing to pass it by.  My partner has a trad in Foxbridge that's like that; we just find it really spacious and livable there, and others come and go around us.

That said, I generally prefer houseboats that are directly connected to actual land, and I like them to be in regions with fewer homes than usual (for lag control).

Our boat on Lake Fourze (that's what I call the big round lake, after the lighthouse we face there) checks both boxes.  Plus the view is gorgeous, and there are, I think, 15 homes in the region.  The neighborhoods within reach have a lot of variety.

Although our other boat, my current fave in Kuga, is not land attached, the mole decorations on its little reef are very nice, and there are only 5 homes in the region, with only 1 immediate neighbor.  A friend of mine has a boat nearby in a neighboring region.  I find it very peaceful there, and I really like sailing around those waters.

As to yours, I find it difficult to evaluate properties without a SLURL; to me, the geographic location of a parcel on the map is really important.  Like others, I like that Pearl Coast location!

I don't need a SLURL for your parcel in Ness, because I had it for a while!  I love those older areas, and that spot checked some boxes for me and was very quiet.  For some reason I never settled into it, tho, so I let it swim away.

Thanks for the reply @Nika Talaj very interesting and funny you had Ness parcel!

Here are the links for anyone interested to have a look

#1  #2  #3  #4  #5  #6

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I went and checked out number 6.  That is the houseboat I got when that region was first released.  And it was by accident as I was trying for a house.  But I loved that spot so much I kept it for a long time , that parcel made me appreciate how great houseboats could be.  Also made me realize how much I loved the underwater gardens.  And yes, it made me buy mainland with water so that I could even have a bigger water garden. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Lloyd Overland said:

With apologies in advance for those who don't play GoH I wanted to start a thread asking how people decide which to keep and which to return.

As I'm new I'm still figuring out all my criteria but this is what I'm currently looking at and what I know I will be factoring into my decision making in the future:

1. Parcel details. This is the first thing I look at and I'm probably not alone. Things like being on a corner, overlooking water, having nice mole landscaping built in, etc. I abandon land very fast if the home is just sandwiched between a bunch of houses with nothing unique going for it. Sunrise/sunset views could be important to some but as I have always used windlight settings and now FS has EEP it isn't as much of a biggie for me.

2. The neighbors. Getting away from eyesores is why many of us love Belli so much. Thankfully I haven't had too many problems, but I've seen them. The other night I was playing GoH with my friend and I grabbed a parcel he first said he liked because of the interesting landscaping. And then all of a sudden his voice dropped low and he said, "You need to abandon this. NOW." I laughed and said that was a quick turnaround in opinion and his response was simply, "Look across the street." Oooooh, boy. I have yet to see any other parcel that matched the horror of what the person across the street did to their property. There was so much hideous random decor strewn across their lawn and attached to their roof that I'm fairly certain the neighbors could make a covenant complaint. Flat prim image cut outs of foliage and different animals and objects (not holiday decor, just completely random stuff), I can't even describe it other than what you'd expect from old mainland. It was BAD. So... yep... I don't know if I would want to live across the street from that even if the parcel I snagged was amazing. Sure, you could derender the objects. But they wouldn't be derendered for my poor guests.

3. Nearby amenities & landmarks. This is one I need more experience with, as I truly haven't explored the vast continent enough to get a grasp of all the amazing treats the moles have built for us. But I think in the future finding property near certain builds and zones will come into play. I know many folks are also eager to find property near things like train lines. I still need to get out and about in each of my neighborhoods, walk in all directions, and see what's nearby.

4. Region name. This might be silly, but having a really cool region name is always a plus. I'm currently hanging on to a property that is very pretty but not as special as it could be because I really like the name of the neighborhood it is located in.

5. The lag situation. This likely plays heavily into point #2, but the lag on the parcel is something I'm making note of. Sadly probably the nicest parcel I have at the moment is experiencing lag and has a FPS half that of my others so I'm trying to figure out why and if it can be fixed. I'd rather not give it up but it might end up being a deal breaker.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1220 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.