Firestorm - FPS when viewer not focused

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1214 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

FPS are x when using Firestorm in focus. 

Then you move to another window, e.g. checking email for MP notifications etc.

FPS in Firestorm then drops to y when the viewer is not-focused

Was wondering if there a setting somewhere, debug or otherwise, that might affect the FPS number to which FS drops when not focused.  

3 hours ago, Kyrie Deka said:

FPS are x when using Firestorm in focus. 

Then you move to another window, e.g. checking email for MP notifications etc.

FPS in Firestorm then drops to y when the viewer is not-focused

Was wondering if there a setting somewhere, debug or otherwise, that might affect the FPS number to which FS drops when not focused.  

Not only FS but ALL viewers do this and they have been doing this since.... at least since I joined SL nearly 14 ago. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Fritigern Gothly said:

and they have been doing this since

Yes, aware.  I am testing for something unrelated to what I know is this expected behavior, and only asked for any settings available in the event I could change the setting during testing for rule-outs.  I asked for the settings only if they were even available at that level, and thanks to those who shared.

• Like 1

On 12/17/2020 at 2:37 PM, Wulfie Reanimator said:

In other viewers, including the LL viewer, the debug setting is called "BackgroundYieldTime"

0f9546f6f1.png

Setting the value to zero will give you the same FPS regardless of whether the viewer is in focus or not.

well that fixed a issue I been wanting to fix for years! when Im recording if I click off on something on OBS or something on the other monitor - FPS drops accordingly thanks for that

• Like 1

I was under the impression that it is actually a Windows function that puts a lid on minimised programs, and have always presumed that the SL viewers piggyback onto that. If so, the viewer's settings seem to be able to influence the default Windows settings. I wonder how other operating sytems respond; the same way?

I might be totally wrong about about this. Can anyone confirm or deny? 

Edited by Odaks

7 hours ago, Odaks said:

I was under the impression that it is actually a Windows function that puts a lid on minimised programs, and have always presumed that the SL viewers piggyback onto that. If so, the viewer's settings seem to be able to influence the default Windows settings. I wonder how other operating sytems respond; the same way?

I might be totally wrong about about this. Can anyone confirm or deny? 

No, Windows won't automatically throttle programs that aren't in focus. Not in the way we're talking about here.

There are hundreds of programs running on your computer right now that don't even have a window to minimize.

5 hours ago, sandi Mexicola said:

There may well be a difference between having Firestorm minimized vs having it in the background.  If I am recording a video using FRAPs, and I minimize Firestorm, FRAPs records a frozen scene until I unminimize Firestorm again.  I don't know if that is due to FRAPs, or Firestorm, or Windows.

While Windows won't update the window itself while it's minimized, Firestorm is still running in the background and doing all the calculations it normally does. Some programs are smart enough to stop doing certain stuff on their own while minimized, but that's not something Windows enforces.

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

There is also the possibility to create a second or 3rd display on your actual screen.
Assuming the only reason to care about "steady" FPS in SL would be streaming or recording you could go ahead and create a 2nd screen and your first screen remains always focused, your streaming or recording software completely ignores the 2nd screen. You can switch that on the fly, resolution remains the same even when it temporarily appears smaller on your screen. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1214 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.