What considers a high tier second life account?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1224 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

2 hours ago, Fauve Aeon said:

Fauve is my first account so that’s as old as I am ever in SL and I’ve taken several decently long complete breaks from the world so I am more of a noob than someone that would be several years younger than I am as far as experience goes, and I don’t consider myself an ‘oldbie’ or veteran user/player mostly because of that. 

Same here. I'm a 2006-rezday but I've hardly been inworld at all in the past 6 years (and my inventory is showing its age). Still getting my head around mesh bodies and such; BOM is making some things easy and I'm happy with what I've accomplished in the past few weeks, but I can see why some people have been so resistant to switch. So much has changed and in most things I'm very much still a noob. 

That said, I used to be a (prim-only) builder, back in the day, and yesterday I had a lot of fun making a fully fitted kitchen for my Linden home, with some updated textures but still all prim. I experimented with Materials and had a bit of a shock when I put that on and my 21-prim build suddenly shot up to 238!!! After experimenting a bit, it turned out that the culprit was the path-cut torus I was using for a tap/faucet. Switched back to old-style shiny on that one piece and it all went back down to 21. So I learned something new there.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Karly Kiyori said:

I experimented with Materials and had a bit of a shock when I put that on and my 21-prim build suddenly shot up to 238!!! After experimenting a bit, it turned out that the culprit was the path-cut torus I was using for a tap/faucet. Switched back to old-style shiny on that one piece and it all went back down to 21. So I learned something new there.

Try setting your build to "Convex Hull" physics type. This sort of tricks the system into thinking that an object is mesh when it's really just prim, and it often reduces the Land Impact below what it would normally be. I'm not sure if it will allow you to apply Materials to your torus, and I can't log in right now to check cos I'm at work, but it's worth a shot.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Lewis Luminos said:
16 hours ago, Karly Kiyori said:

I experimented with Materials and had a bit of a shock when I put that on and my 21-prim build suddenly shot up to 238!!! After experimenting a bit, it turned out that the culprit was the path-cut torus I was using for a tap/faucet. Switched back to old-style shiny on that one piece and it all went back down to 21. So I learned something new there.

Try setting your build to "Convex Hull" physics type. This sort of tricks the system into thinking that an object is mesh when it's really just prim, and it often reduces the Land Impact below what it would normally be. I'm not sure if it will allow you to apply Materials to your torus, and I can't log in right now to check cos I'm at work, but it's worth a shot.

The torus shape is one that doesn't always play well with the convex hull setting.  Many of those will result in the LI going through the roof. 

Anytime I'm going to play with changing something that has a torus in the linkset, I go to a sandbox...... just to be safe.

Sometimes changing to convex hull will work, but definitely be careful when torus is involved - be prepared for those gigantic LI jumps.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

The torus shape is one that doesn't always play well with the convex hull setting.  Many of those will result in the LI going through the roof. 

Anytime I'm going to play with changing something that has a torus in the linkset, I go to a sandbox...... just to be safe.

Sometimes changing to convex hull will work, but definitely be careful when torus is involved - be prepared for those gigantic LI jumps.

With a torus the trick is to put it in a linkset with something else as a root prim and then change the physics type of the torus to "None." The land impact jump for a cut torus is all because of its physics.

• Thanks 3

8 hours ago, Lewis Luminos said:

1 hour ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I tried Lewis's suggestion before seeing Theresa's, and his idea worked, I was able to put Materials back on the torus after changing the whole build to Convex Hull, and the LI stayed at 21. The torus is not the root prim in the linkset. Thank you to all three of you.

201218_003.thumb.jpg.e8f72c6749689271878cdf7c08af4781.jpg

My (literally) shiny new kitchen :)

Edited by Karly Kiyori
  • Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1224 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.