Help with spheres.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3753 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

@Josh. That sounds like a very simple technique for getting better looking spheres. You must be able to use it on other shapes too to get better looking sculpts.

I should be able to get the sculpt map from where you posted it, and scale it down to 64x64, I suppose. Then I can bring it in to Blender and inspect it. I'm not familiar with Sculptypaint, but it shouldn't be too hard recreating the technique relatively easy in Blender using modifiers.

@Charlotte. Don't be sad. I'm sure your viewer sees the same spheres the same way mine does. Edges and everything. :P But if it is important to you I'll snap a few pics after work and post.
I was thinking, though; Do we know that different viewer versions (TPV's and viewer 2) on different platforms render shapes the same? Shapes should be the same - it's the same code - but who knows?

@Cerise. ROFL. That cat is seriously messed up! Now I just wonder what it saw to make it go mad like that. But then I would become equally mad if I saw it... :o
Do you seriously hold on to old viewer versions? Like, just in case you have to dust it off sometime in the future to snap a picture of a sphere? To me, the sphere looks about the same shape as today, aside from lacking anti-aliasing (and some plywood texture).

- Luc -

Luc Starsider wrote:

Do you seriously hold on to old viewer versions? Like, just in case you have to dust it off sometime in the future to snap a picture of a sphere? To me, the sphere looks about the same shape as today, aside from lacking anti-aliasing (and some plywood texture).

Oh, I stripped off the plywood so it would not fool the eye, textures can be really, really good to take attention away from those edges! Yes, I keep old versions because it is the best way to see if my memory is foggy or a new version really changed something. Spheres and cylinders were always ugly, but the old ripple water was prettier than I remembered and the old sun was worse.

@Luc

There are no perfect solutions, ever.

I'll send you the sphere, and maybe a couple of other things that could hurt your brain (that is; practically anybody's brain).

I just load out at 128x128 as default because it's easier to subtract data later than to replace lost data. If I could load out at 256, I would do that, since I could then cut my sculpts into even more more pieces for further use at some point.

At 64x64, you can cut into 4 quarters and size them up double pretty well. At 128 you can cut them into 4 and they'll work without sizing up, except for the seams, basically. Or you can cut them into 16 pieces and size those up double. You get the idea. It's a question of what you're trying to make with pieces of sculpts; they actually can be simply spliced together, provided you can figure out how to control position and orientation.

Here's a picture of Josh's sphere (lower two) together with a regular prim sphere (top two). The sculptie sphere is definitely rounder looking than the prim sphere. Texturing the sculptie looks like it is going to be a bit of a challenge. And plywood texture actually show up the angles more on the prim sphere than the sky texture I used on two of them.

Spheres_002.png

- Luc -

Thanks for showing that. 

As I have said, this a very quick and clumsy solution to a very specific problem, and without other considerations.

You might be able to get a very similar roundness with a much more subtle warping of the surface image.

OTOH, for the simple purpose of taking a photo, you could also spin the lower set of sculpts around to a position where the warping is less obvious, such as one where the whole seam is on the far side of the sphere; an effect which is not even possible with the other sphere if we consider the puckering to be a seam effect.

Thanks Luc, at least it's not just me.

Cerese and cat, I went back and looked at photos I had taken where in my mind I remembered for certain that the curves were smooth and not jaggy. I went specifically to the photos of some sculptures that I knew beyond a doubt I had seen as smooth.

They are not smooth. They were jagged.

Ok, I went on a shopping spree and now I am better, spheres look like spheres again and I am not overly concerned with the angles anymore.

Shopping.jpg

Thanks to everyone who posted, and to Josh for the technical stuff that was pretty cool.

If anyone wants to show examples of spheres feel free to add, if not, see you next thread. :) 

Again as always, my pleasure.

I recently posted a skirt scupt on some other thread, too, but now I don't recall where.

If you find it before I do, please feel free to link that thread. 

Part of the issue is how a skirt should look from inside or below.

BTW: nice texture on those spheres. Thanks for showing them.

Yeah, that, thanks.

Whether it's good or not, I think it technically solves their stated problem.

They're not responsive people like you guys, I guess.

But they at least didn't continue debating a solution as if I hadn't posted one, like the people who tried to play online 6 Degrees with Brian Eno.

I am a kludger, but, as kludgers go, I like to think I'm not terribly clumsy.

My work is not often polished, but if you have any other sculpt issues that might have a significant cenceptual component, I can probably help with the conceptual part, so please feel free to keep "bringing it".

Great, Josh. I'll keep that in mind when (and I mean *when* :D) I get stuck with a sculptie problem. Hopefully, I'll be up to speed on mesh soon, and won't ever have to touch a sculptie again.

@Charlotte: You're right - it does sound like an SL name. Would have been a good one, I think. Sticks in your mind... btw. here's a few examples of his music (and I can't embedd the video so I'll give the link):

- Luc - 

The Lindens gave Brian Eno his own SL avatar with his own name, but as far as I know, he never uses it. He never returned any contact to me anyway, but who can blame him? Famous people probably mostly use avatars other than what LL provides them for privacy reasons. The funny story with Eno is that the first time I was introduced to him in RL was in order to log on his SL avatar and get it ready for him to use. The people who were waiting for him (in SL) to log on thought it was him running the AV, so I just stalled by saying "hello" until Eno was ready. Then the Long Now people posted an official video of Eno allegedlly logging on to SL for the first time. Maybe I was wrong to expose that as inaccurate, but they were also probably wrong to have posted the video without first checking to see if I had already posted elsewhere the fact that I had logged on his avatar for him. In fact, I had already posted that, and no one had told me not to (sorry, everybody).

The 6 degrees thing is in reference to what Eno had said earlier about an experiment someone had done on a social networking engine. The challenge was to connect with Brian Eno is 6 degrees, but someone was able to do it in about 2 degrees. Eno logged on with the comment "that was far too easy", but everyone just assumed it was a bogus profile and continued looking for ways to reach him.

The sculpt posts have started to remind me of that because the dynamic seems a little similar. If something is as difficult as people imagine it to be, they'll ignore the solution, assuming that it is someone's idea of a joke.

Wow Josh, that last sentence is true, because if I didn't know you, I might not believe your story. That is way cool that he had his own avatar with his own real name. Its even cooler that his real name sounded like a second life name :P

That reminds me of this that I read just the other night, pretty cool :)

http://secondlife.wikia.com/wiki/Avatar_Last_Names

The Lindens create celebrity avatars for people they want to help them publicize Second Life.

Bruce Willis got an avatar named Bruce Willis. Suzanne Vega got Suzanne Vega. Kurt Vonnegut got Kurt Vonnegut.

You don't (yet) know who are people like Kevin Kelly or Alexander Rose, but they also exist as SL avatars with their own names, and also have never responded to my contacts in SL, although I used to interact with them at least a little bit in RL on a semi-regular basis before I moved away from San Francisco.

Maybe such people never respond to me because they don't recognize me from RL

Or maybe because they do?

You can search SL for avatar names of high-profile people that LL have provided with properly named avatars, and there are a lot of them, but if you think you're going to get any response from them, don't get your hopes up. Cyberspace is stalky enough without using an avatar that offers easy access to something like 50K potential live cyberstalkers every time you log on, much less all the unwanted messages and gifts.

Eno allegedly changes his email address every 6 months (I have never emailed him, though- let me just make that 100% clear, OK?). Zharick León (I didn't go looking for her, either) told me personally that she deletes Facebook messages about 1000 at a time without even looking at them. You get the idea. Cyberspace seems pretty small sometimes. Making it personally searchable can make it just a little bit too small in many cases.

Yeah, I can get that. That's neat to know about all the avatars having real names, although Im glad I got to choose mine instead of just being a little me. I wonder if there are avatars with real celebrities names that aren't the real celebrity? Madonna comes to mind, though I guess she would be Madonna Resident, huh? :D

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3753 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.