New Laptop = White Alpha

Nyara Squeegee

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1218 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hello,

I just recently got a new Alienware m15x R3 laptop. I was all excited to log into the game with the new system, but I'm getting some real odd graphical issues that I didn't have with my old laptop. I was able to troubleshoot some of the issues as being caused by the anti-virus program that came with the laptop. I'm still not able to find what's causing this issue. Can you identify what's going on in this picture?

white alpha-a_001.png

7 answers to this question

Check the alpha mode on those object faces and ensure they are NOT set to “none”.  If they are then perhaps they are victims of a viewer malfunction inadvertently caused by a change that was intended to reduce the impact on performance caused by temporarily missing textures.

• Like 1

My first take is that the texture was improperly uploaded by the designer. I think that because everything except that one texture is ok.

Do you see the same problem if you use your older computer?

To have a good idea of what the problem may be, if the texture is ok, we need the viewer/computer specs. Use the viewer's HELP->About... and copy paste the info in with your question.

Hi @Nalates Urriah. Thanks for taking the time to look at this. Yes, I am getting the same texture problem with the older system. They are both running the same versions of Firestorm and Second Life viewers. The texture being uploaded incorrectly is an option, but the problem is on more than one item by more than one creator. I've attached another picture that illustrates three different items with this texture oddity. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the older versions of the viewers.  I've cleared out the cache many times to try to force the system to update the texture. I'm thinking there's something wrong with Second Life's back end after a recent update. These textures used to load up just fine a week ago.

Here's the info on the new laptop:

Firestorm 6.4.12 (62831) Dec  3 2020 22:34:49 (64bit / SSE2) (Firestorm-Releasex64) with Havok support
Release Notes

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10750H CPU @ 2.60GHz (2592 MHz)
Memory: 16147 MB
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 64-bit (Build 19042.685)
Graphics Card Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
Graphics Card: GeForce RTX 2070/PCIe/SSE2
Graphics Card Memory: 8192 MB

Windows Graphics Driver Version: 27.21.14.6089
OpenGL Version: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 460.89

RestrainedLove API: (disabled)
libcurl Version: libcurl/7.54.1 OpenSSL/1.0.2l zlib/1.2.8 nghttp2/1.40.0
J2C Decoder Version: KDU v8.0.6
Audio Driver Version: FMOD Studio 2.01.05
Dullahan: 1.8.0.202007261348
  CEF: 81.3.10+gb223419+chromium-81.0.4044.138
  Chromium: 81.0.4044.138
LibVLC Version: 2.2.8
Voice Server Version: Not Connected
Settings mode: Firestorm
Viewer Skin: Firestorm (Grey)
Window size: 1920x1027 px
Font Used: Deja Vu (96 dpi)
Font Size Adjustment: 0 pt
UI Scaling: 1
Draw distance: 128 m
Bandwidth: 500 kbit/s
LOD factor: 4
Render quality: High (5/7)
Advanced Lighting Model: No
Texture memory: 2048 MB (1)
VFS (cache) creation time (UTC): 2020-12-16T21:23:12
Built with MSVC version 1916
December 22 2020 09:27:43 SLT

texture issues_001.png

I am running FS 6.4.12 with Nvidia 457.30 on a 1060 and I don't see the problem. The newest Nvidia driver version is 460.89, which you are running. While writing this I ran an update. I bounced around SL and didn't see the problem you are having using 460.89. So, it isn't likely the driver or viewer. I could be the 2070 has a quirk. Search 2070

I am not seeing anything similar.

I would need an LM to that location to see if I see the same thing with my driver.

Are these textures you are uploading?

2 hours ago, Nalates Urriah said:

I am running FS 6.4.12 with Nvidia 457.30 on a 1060 and I don't see the problem. The newest Nvidia driver version is 460.89, which you are running. While writing this I ran an update. I bounced around SL and didn't see the problem you are having using 460.89. So, it isn't likely the driver or viewer. I could be the 2070 has a quirk. Search 2070

I am not seeing anything similar.

I would need an LM to that location to see if I see the same thing with my driver.

Are these textures you are uploading?

There was a thread about this same thing a couple months back but I don't recall what was mentioned that caused the issue.  Maybe someone from that thread will.show up and explain

@Nyara Squeegee There is a viewer bug that will sometimes change the alpha mode on an object you can modify.  I suggest using the object's LOCK property until this bug is resolved in a released viewer.  [BUG-11333] Alpha masked textures occasionally changing to alpha mode none without any interaction. - Second Life Bug Tracker

@Whirly Fizzle Has this been resolved?  Is a viewer update all Nyara needs?

Edited by Ardy Lay
  • Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1218 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.