No L$ for my real world US$

Blaine2030

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1198 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Last week, on the 8th, I tried to buy L$.  I went with Best Rate, since I am poor (on disability).  Everything went find as far as charging my checking account, but I am still waiting for the transaction to result in my receiving the L$.  Where do I go to file one of these "support tickets" that I hear rumor of?  The help menus tell me that is my next move, but I have as yet to find a link.

I also have not been able to log in to Second Life via Firestorm since last Thursday and the Second Life viewer, which may or may not be my ISP.

How in the H--- do I file a support ticket?  At this point I would just as soon get my US$ back as get L$!

Edited by Blaine2030
Well, I wanted to hit the "follow" button and forgot. It doesn't seem to be something I can edit, however.

16 answers to this question

Also,  if you did a "Best Rate" buy, depending on what you entered, there is a chance that it may take forever for an order to be filled - the Lindex is a money exchange, so if there are not any buyers willing to sell at a particular rate, orders at the rate won't complete. 

You can cancel your pending "Best Rate" buy, which will put the RL money you spent back into your USD balance and then you can do a "Market Buy" which will use the USD balance, and should be completed immediately. 

To find your order to cancel, on the dashboard sidebar under Linden Exchange, click on "Manage" and then click on "LindeX Order History".  You should then see your open order, which you can then cancel. 

1183423596_Screenshot2020-12-14135100.jpg.abc1357acf090644c9e074d3d08c0706.jpg

2065295337_Screenshot2020-12-14135140.jpg.dd05b88476a92a1c3dbc69b01931b5a9.jpg

• Like 2

My guess is that the trouble you are having is due to having set an unrealistic price in your BUY offer.  The LindeX is like any currency exchange in the real world.  It's not a market.  It's a trading site where users -- in this case SL residents like you and me -- offer to buy and sell each other L$.  If you offer a price that is much lower than other residents are willing to accept for their L$, you won't find any sellers, or you'll have to wait for a very long time.  Meanwhile, Linden Lab, acting as the guarantor for the potential sale, has charged your payment method and placed the US$ in a holding account.  It will sit there until the sale goes through or you cancel the transaction.  THAT's what you need to do next.  The US$ will be transferred to the $ balance in your Tilia account, available for the next time you place an offer to buy.  After you cancel this transaction, you may try again with a more realistic offering price or you may just buy at the current market price, using the Market Buy option.  Unless you are buying more than $20 worth of L$, the difference between the Limit Buy and Market Buy options is trivial.

• Like 1

There's a link to creating a Support case on the home page of the forums, there is also a link to Support on the bottom of each page in the forums. 

Create Support Case (secondlife.com)

ETA: After I posted this, I realized you had said you placed a Best Rate purchase - see my additional post about how to cancel that - you can do that without needing to submit a support case.

Edited by MoiraKathleen

53 minutes ago, oOJoselinOo said:

Normal when you fill an best buy rate, it show's how long it will take to be filled (Note that this times can be longer then shown)

2 Month ago i tried an rate, where SL said, it takes 10 days, and i canceled it after 4 weeks, as it was still in process.

... do not look at the possible fill date but at the rates lower on the page. If your offer to buy or sell, differers for more than 1 or 2, you need lot of patience ánd luck to get it completed. So if you want your L$ fast, keep it in that small range or do a market buy.
Many people think whatever rate they choose it will fill... but it's a real money exchange....it won't.

1 hour ago, Blaine2030 said:

I did not see there was anything lower on the page.  Where is the Open Orders screen found?  I don't see it on my account page.

When you are on the screen where you place your offer to buy or sell L$, scroll down. There's quite a lot fdown there, including the tables that show the volume of L$ in open orders  over a wide range of prices.

23d35a1e3c15bee0cc376f2cfd2eb009.png

As you can see here, the greatest volume of L$ in the BUY table is in orders placed at L$250/US$1.00 . If you make an offer to buy at that price, you will have to wait until almost L$97 Million have been traded first.  That will probably take a few days.  If you hope to get more L$ for your dollar, by placing an offer at L$251/US$1.00 or higher, it will take longer.  The best strategy is to place an offer that is slightly lower than where the bulk of open orders as right now ... say at L$249/US$1.00 .  By being willing to accept just L$1 less than the people waiting in that huge block, your order will be filled earlier than them. When I use that strategy on either the BUY or SELL side of the market, my order is filled in hours or less.

I'm sorry about the stress that you may have felt about this.  It can be a bit confusing the first time you trade, but it really does make sense.  You don't need the extra stress, especially this year. Maybe it will be easier next time you try.

• Like 4

56 minutes ago, Blaine2030 said:

How long does it take for Liden Labs to deposit the money in my checking account?  I could really use the money.

If you cancelled the best rate buy order, the money goes into your USD balance connected with your avatar account, but not back to your checking account.  You can use the dollars in the USD balance, however, for purchasing lindens at the market rate and/or when any other payment is due to LL - such as tier or premium fees - the USD balance is used first before charging your payment method. 

Being as you were initially attempting to buy lindens, perhaps you should use the USD to do that through the market buy process, so that you'll get them immediately and be able to use them in-world for what you were initially planning on using them for.

There is a way to request that the USD balance is sent back to your paypal or skrill account, but that is another process that also involves providing additional personal information to Tilia, which is LL's financial service that handles that type of financial transactions.  There is also a minimum dollar amount involved for doing this process, and there is a fee charged,  also.  I've never done this, so I can't really provide anything more specific.    The knowledge base article at Account balance - English - Second Life Community goes into more detail about this, but it's a process that's really more geared towards people like creators or people involved with land sales or rentals. etc.,  who earn lindens in-world and want to transfer some of the profit from their linden earnings back to real life accounts.  Because it deals with real currency, there are additional safe guards in place to allow for proper reporting of income by LL to tax authorities, when applicable, and for preventing things like money laundering, etc.,  

It had told me 4 days, which is why I got upset.  I did not see there was anything lower on the page.  Where is the Open Orders screen found?  I don't see it on my account page.

Never mind.  I finally found how to cancel the order.  Too much stress in my life now (can't see mom in hospice due to COVID, Financial problems.  And more.)

Thank you.

Edited by Blaine2030
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Blaine2030 said:

So, lacking a PayPal or Skrill account I am just out $11.49? 

No, not at all.  The money is being held by LL to fill your open order, if and when the exchange rate falls into your specified value.  If you cancel the order, the money goes into your $USD Balance.  You can go ahead and place another $L buy order, either an Instant Buy at the current market rate, or another Limit Buy at a more realistic exchange rate. Money in your $USD Balance is always used first.  If there isn't enough money there to cover your purchase, LL will then take the remainder from your billing method (credit card or PayPal).

That's the problem.  Years and years ago I had a PayPal account-- and that is about all I remember about it.  I abandoned it because I kept getting phishing emails about it and was worried about how secure it was and wasn't certain which emails were really from them and which weren't.  I haven't been on eBay in years and everywhere else took credit/debit so I didn't think I needed (or wanted) it any more.

5 hours ago, Blaine2030 said:

I was hoping to get the cash back, not make another market purchase.  Maybe next month, but right now the cash is more valuable.

In addition to needing a PayPal or Skrill account, the $11.49 is just barely above the minimum amount, perhaps, and there is additional information that you would need to provide to LL/Tillia before you can start the payout process, plus there is a service charge so I don't think you would get the entire $11.49 back, and once the process is initiated, it can still take 3 - 5 days to complete.  So it's possible it might be next month before you got the balance returned to you, as it is.    

I know it can be frustrating, especially in these times of unusual stressful situations and financial worries.   

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1198 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.